Walkies, do you have a routine?

Before a walk do you have a routine of what you do or does it change each time?

First of all our boys will hear the word "Walkies!" and then they will go into the kitchen where they wait for me to put my trainers on (if I havent already got them on) and then I hear Gizmo crying at the door as he knows he is going for a walk, and then they follow me into the back room where, if we are doing the training for the harness working, on comes the walking belt and the long leads. I get myself ready first and the link the boys up to their end of the lead and then get dragged to the door but they have to sit and wait at the door and let me go through first and then once they get though there they drag me to the front door and again sit and wait and let me though first.

And then off we go out on walks, usually to delph woods for the training as there are many left and right turn which makes it great for training them :)

During walks, we usually always stop in the same places, mostly by the stream and ponds around the woods but we also occasionally stop in the small open area and sit under a tree for a while.

When we get back home, again they have to site and wait at the door while I go in and then have to remain sat down until I invite them in. And then we go into the back room where that again have to sit down whilst I take their leads off and then they will go straight for the water bowls and then sleep for a few hours.

So, whats your routine if you have one?

spell out the word W.A.L.K.I.E.S and NEO goes nuts, grab his harness, collar and lead from the cupboard he runs away excited. once they are all attached he roams about till i grab the long lead.(50ft).make him wait until im out the door first then he pulls like a train until we reach the field round the corner.onto the long lead for a good run around. onto another field by the river... time for a paddle and a drink. walk / run up the field then into the cemetery for more walks ,on a lead this time , more drinks and bark at the birds . walk home isnt far , let him off the lead in the cul-de sac he runs down the drive and waits to be let in. harness collar off big drink followed by a snooze. time for a cuppa for me .

i get ma shoes and ma jacket grab ma phone and my ipod if the boots and jacket dont faze bings as soon as he sees ma ipod he starts barkin blaze will then run upstairs n see what all fuss is about unless hes out back if hes out back i have 2 say blaze walk he will then run in n woo woo woo i attempt 2 put bings collar on him (blaze is either tryin 2 eat him or hes just bein annoyiin n wont stay still) i then attempt 2 put blazes harness on cuz hes either tryin 2 eat bings or not stayin still i attach leads whilst shoutin at bings 2 shut up theres no need 2 bark! then im out the door :) we then go call for Mya

I get up at 6.30 every morning with them as soon as they hear me they start bouncing like huskaroos lol

I come down sort out my hair and face and then harness them up and play chase trying to get them hooked up to their lines lol

I then make them sit and wait until i open the door and then that's as far as i get before DASH they're OFF!!! I get dragged down the driveway and all the way to the field only stopping if it's bin day and people have their bins out Lol

Weekend / evening walks are good if we go out in the car, Kaiser jumps in the boot kimba puts both front paws up and looks at me so i have to lift him up - lazy so and so LOL....getting OUT of the car is a different matter - the second i open the boot they try and jump out at different directions so always gotta be ready to grab their lines, have been trying to make them wait but they're just too god darn excited!!

lol lazy Kimba he cant use age as an excuse either lol

my 3 are firly good at waiting for us to get them out of the car but as soon as they are out, thats it no more waiting. I have keep hold of them and close the doors and lock the car before I get dragged away lol

I was thinking about this and thought, nah don't have a routine...but then after our walk last night i was like, oop yup we do!!

Eika doesn't want to get her collar on, would rather make me chase her...so once i have picked up collar and lead, i say 'door' and get her to go by the front door, make her sit...put the paraphenalia on, then she goes wandering around until i sort myself out and find some treats. Get hold of her lead, make her go behind me and say 'wait', open the door, and again say 'wait', i go out first, then she comes out, and goes in front while i turn and shut the door...she walks behind me up and round the drive...then she's like 'screw you, i'm off!' and pegs it up the road, and i have to correct her or i'm out! Then we go one of three ways: 1) right and up the lane towards the scary train track and abandoned buses...2) left and towards all the houses and stuff...3) along the farmers track...

Then when we get back home, as we're going round the drive way i say 'door' (trying to teach her that if she ever gets loose and i say 'door' she will run home...in theory!) give her a fuss, then open the door, and she goes in first as we have a small step, and trying to get up it with her behind me is a nightmare! Then she has a snoop in the living room to see if josh has dropped any snacks, then has a drink and goes outside (she doesn't go potty on walks!)

THEN, she is a hyper active monkey!! Seriously, walks, no matter how long/short she is just hyper active!

Oh and she's really good at getting in and out of the car...she will wait until i say go in, and wait til i let her out...had to work hard on that one!

get me ready, got toris harness on , get walking belt on, attatch dief n taz who r sat by the front door, put lead on tori, then try and open the front door, usually takes a couple of mins , trying to pull the boys back so i can get through, then off on our travels, try to take a different route to the park each day , round the park, back home, try to get key in the door , usually takes a few mins , get dragged to the water bowl, unhook everybody, then they go to the crates get in and sleep and i get to play on the lappy lol

I get up and wake Bo and let him out in the yard to do his duty while I make coffee. Let Bo in, have a sip of coffee and grab the lead. If I even head in the direction where the lead is kept, he's there with a small "wooo" and ready to go. If he misses me going for the lead, all I have to do is jiggle it and the sound brings him running (hey - for his age, it's running!)

Then, it's off for a jaunt around the yard for 15 minutes. He slows down tremendously when we head to the door, but goes inside without a fuss, gets a drink, and waits for his breakfast and pills. Similar routine at the end of the day.

• 6 months later...

Yes we do. We have a route that we follow rather it be one way or going the opposite way. It covers the whole neighborhood though. I like to think of it as they getting to know their way back home just in case they get lost or if something changes. We often meet us with friends that would walk with us.

We always stop at the same places as well. When it comes to getting ready for a walk we dont use the word "Walk" We instruct them to come to the door and sit. At this point they know they are going outside for what ever reason. We want the same reaction and obediance regardless if it's a bathroom break, car ride, or a walk.

During walk time they know they are not to be ahead us me by no more than their shoulders length. They do a pretty good job and at the point when i am please i will allow them to walk ahead as far as the leash would allow them too.

I try not to say anything LOL. I don't like to over excite them unless I'm going to do a training session, then I intentionally rev them up. My dogs know that when I put my runners on they have a pretty good chance that they are going out. As soon as I go to the "dog box" to get their leashes, collars and my treat pouch I don't need to say anything, because they know.

Both of them have to sit quietly for me to put their collars on.

I try not to say anything LOL. I don't like to over excite them unless I'm going to do a training session, then I intentionally rev them up. My dogs know that when I put my runners on they have a pretty good chance that they are going out. As soon as I go to the "dog box" to get their leashes, collars and my treat pouch I don't need to say anything, because they know.

Both of them have to sit quietly for me to put their collars on.

LOL i have dog box too with the same stuff. I also carry dog treats as well. Forgot to add that in there.

Yep P.C and Telly goes off, she looks up, I say c'mon then lets mush, she starts to woo and pace while I get my coat and whatnot, then have a 5 min fight with her to get her harness on while she continues to woo and pace, grab the poo bags and the treat pouch and then make her sit both sides of the door and the back gate then off we go... on the way back in she has to sit both side of the gate then I usually let her off the lead to sniff and get some water from her garden bowl while I get myself in and sorted then I'll call her in and pin her down with one of her towls as shes ALWAYS got dirty feet even in the summer with a hosepipe ban on she manages to find some mud somewhere to walk through! biggrin.gif

No routine here although it is kinda early for Kaien. If it's not nasty outside, i'll let him out to potty then we'll go for a quick job up and down the street for a few mins and then go back inside. He gets most of his exercise inside running around the living room and me playing with him. I play tag with him and he gets mad because i cheat and jump over the couch and he cant yet, lol