New addition to the family

Two weeks ago while I was walking Maverick in the yard at about midnight, we heard the most pathetic cat crying ever. Maverick was 10 weeks at the time. The cat is probably 2-3 weeks older. My girlfriend just had him neutered, and he has spent a couple of days in her house.

Tonight is his first night in my house with my dog (my last dog killed numerous cats). So, I am crossing my fingers that things go well. The cat loves Maverick (always following him around on the leash). Do you think he is young enough to socialize him with cats? HOW? Any advice is appreciated. Especially, advice received in the next two hours before he gets here.

aww congrats :) pics?

what is maverick like when they meet?

I should have pics in a couple of hours. He is just a half-grown tiger cat. He has gotten a hold of the cat's tail a couple of times, but has not bitten down hard yet. (He reserves the hard bites for me) I just plan on holding the cat while she brings Maverick closer and closer.

My girlfriend had cats and a couple of kittens. Misty loved to chase the cats - cats weren't so enthused. She didn't go after them like they were prey, more like play. One of the kittens got bold and started playing with her tail and she just looked at her like "... and just what do you think you're doing?"

As has been said repeatedly here, depends on the dog and the cat .....

Aside, since we know that Husky's have a pretty high prey drive, yep, I'd be VERY careful on the introduction, it'd be a shame (to put it mildly) if "lunch came right out of your arms!"

Kissu isn't too bad. He will sleep with the cats on my bed, and will let Sohma groom him a little, and he will lick Sohma. But if Sohma is running passed him or sniffing something he sees as his, he will run to him and put his mouth around his neck. Clapping and snapping and telling Kissu to leave it gets him to stop, and then I call him to me and most of the time he comes.

He tries to pull the same stuff with Siren, but he has none of it and even chases Kissu sometimes.

Kissu was raised with cats though. The breeder had a cat, and it would mommy him a little. Then when I picked him up, both of the cats are mine so we all sleep in the same room.

Hope everything continues to go well.

Usually I will say "huskies and cats are never meant to be put in one same sentence" but because you mentioned that no aggressive behavior has been shown, I will change my answer to--> "be very careful and supervise their play. Even if Maverick didn't mean it, there's always a chance of him accidentally injuring the cat"

Btw you should post pics of the cat ^0^ What's the name btw?

I definately would NOT hold the cat while you bring the dog in. I have 3 cats and got Kiska at 8 weeks old so I was in a similar situation, but my cats were scared of the dog. My eventual goal was to have cats that tollerate the dog around without striking out or running away, and to have a dog that under no circumstances would snap at/chase/play with the cats. I've managed to succeed in this by making sure the cats always feel comfortable when Kiska is around - if you are holding the cat and it feels threatened your grip will only escalate the situation so I always made sure the cats had means of easy escape if they didn't want to be around the dog, and I would give Kiska a firm "NO" if she approached the cats (ideally I want her to completely ignore them so any attention towards them is punished or I distract her). She would get bigger tellings-off if she did anything like chasing or barking at them. I also never punish the cats if they ever swipe or hiss at Kiska. As far as they're conserned Kiska is a predator and if they feel she's gotten too close or bold I'm happy for them to let her know. I now have 3 cats who are all happy to be around Kiska, one will even curl up on the sofa with her :)

The semi-feral cats around my home have always adored Shad, who is very good with him (he's given me a scare twice, when he disciplined one by grabbing her - same silly cat - but he disciplined her as he would have a puppy. She was a bit more respectful after each event, but hasn't ever been afraid of him. Tux has recently learned that being nice to the cats is a necessary prerequisite to spending time loose in the house! The dogs who live in the kennel - live in the kennel for a reason!

Watch body language carefully, and if you see play just starting to get a bit rough, firmly put a stop to it.