Finally getting decent mice!!

This has got nothing to do with the forum and people probably aren't even the slightest bit interested but I'm so excited and I can't find enough to do to keep myself occupied right now :violin:

People probably know that I own mice, I've put photos of them up here before. Well, those were just pet type mice; small, round bodies, stuck on looking tails, narrow pointed faces, small ears, blah blah blah :P Well, I've enjoyed owning them so much that I'm actually now going to start breeding mice to show! :rolleyes: But that means I need some show type mice, instead of my pet type ones; so, bigger, racier bodies (show mice can get up to almost a foot long including tails!! :jawdrop: ), big ears, smoother flowing tails, rounder heads, etc. I've picked my varieties already and found a good breeder of them who's said I came come collect a breeding trio (1x buck 2x does) on 2nd July (I'll be going straight from the Sutton Park meet to his house in Dudley!) and I'm soooooo excited! I've had my breeding boxes made for a while now (10x 16ltr plastic storage tubs with mesh ventilation added ;) ) and now I'll finally be able to actually get started breeding!! :yahoo:Hopefully by this time next year I'll have about 100 mice and will be winning at shows :cup: I've picked the agouti and cinnamon varieties (I originally just wanted agouti but the ones I get will carry cinnamon which can be used to improve the colour of agoutis so I'm going to start a line of those too from the babies produced in the agouti litters). They are both just beautiful - here's some examples of some show winners that mine will very closely resemble:

Agouti:

agouti.jpg

Cinnamon:

cinnamon.jpg

This is such a random thing to get into - if you'd told me last September that this is what I'd be doing I'd have laughed at you :lolman:

no way can you show mice!!!!

Do they have mini leads and you parade them round a ring?? :lolman:

Sorry just joking! :D lol

Good luck with it hun - keep us posted :up:

Lol! No :P You just put each mouse you want to show into a 'maxey' cage (there's rules on how they should be made Re: plywood thickness of each side, colours each piece should be painted etc) with approved bedding and food/water for the day, then label the cage and put it in the appropriate area depending on what section you've entered it into, and it gets judged on it's appearance. It is pretty complicated, but it all comes down to what the mouse looks like ;)

LOL I never heard of showing/breeding mice! O.O And the pic u posted up there didn't work I can't see anythin' =(

Btw good luck with what you're doing ^0^ don't forget to post more pics of your champion mice =D

Sorry again....it's great if it's something you like, but telling a Husky no , don't go near the mice is like saying, please don't pull on the lead while we are walking....oY.....:banghead:

Ok.....well Kiska listens when I tell her no so I'm not worried. I've taught her that what I say goes - if I say no I mean no. She doesn't pull on the lead either ;) Like I said they're shut away anyway, she's not left alone with their cages or anything. I don't see a problem with owning small furries and huskies, the only way they'd get hurt (pets I mean) is if the owner was irresponsible (I don't mean this so much with cats, it's harder to regulate the contact they have with your dogs since they're not kept in cages). One of my mice was eaten by one of my cats in January because I'd left him at home with my mum when I went back to uni and she'd left the door open to the room his cage was in overnight, the cat went in and knocked it over to get him. THAT has taught me some lessons about tight security with my mice regarding my other animals and it wasn't even me that made that mistake :P

Congrats! I use to have some pet mice when I was younger. Recently we had a pet rat but she passed away of old age :( I, like you, don't see a problem with owning huskies and small furry animals as long as they both are owned responsibly. Like you said never left alone together and the small furries in a properly secure cage. Good luck with showing :D