Do your dogs get jealous

Smithy

Sounds a daft question I know but, Smithy has never been a lap dog right from pup kept wanting him to come up and give us a cuddle but alas, no, it's not in him and he never has. Last night however, I was talking to the neighbour outside and fussing her Collie dog (really affectionate dog), Smithy was watching all this from inside, anyways I go in the house, sit on the sofa, and bang straight up, mush in lap as if to say "you're mine"and stayed there for at least 20 minutes. So just wondering if your dogs show any signs of jealousy?

No.... I don't think dogs get jealous (that's a human concept) but they do compete for resources i.e. treats, food, pats/attention etc - not driven by a sense of jealousy (i.e. I don't like that they have what I want!) but a natural instinct to to be higher in the pack or to have whatever resources they can get.

No.... I don't think dogs get jealous (that's a human concept) but they do compete for resources i.e. treats, food, pats/attention etc - not driven by a sense of jealousy (i.e. I don't like that they have what I want!) but a natural instinct to to be higher in the pack or to have whatever resources they can get.

yeh i agree.... Smeagle ... the word jealousy is the closest human word that can be used for it ... to dogs its vieing for a premium item..looking to climb up the pack ladder all be it for 30secs higher or if it be a life long thing that you pet your dogs in a certain order...

Na, definitely jealous, could see him turning green...:cool: