....Should I spay Aleu?

I know this question is a bit rich coming from me considering I advise it a lot to people and have done a lot when I worked at the vets, but it's only now that Aleu is 2 years 4 months old and that Robyn has said she thinks we should get her spayed that it's made me stop and question it, so I now see how it makes some people feel.

There's a part of me that's saying I don't want to risk putting her under anaesthetic, most likely caused by the fact that when I worked at the vets, I saw 1 dog and 2 cats die from not being able to cope with the G.A. but they were a lot younger than Aleu, all around 6-7 months old. I know the pros ands cons myself, I've relayed them and blurted them out to people so many times, but now it's come to me having to considering it, I feel like I'm at a wall.

Part of me doesn't want to risk it and secretely would love to see what puppies from her would be like I AM NOT SERIOUSLY THINKING OF BREEDING FROM HER. Edited because people seem to be getting the wrong idea., and the other part of me is thinking, what I consider to be a bit more realistic in that, Without it she could get overian cancer or a pyo, could I even realistically think of breeding from her anyway with Robyn going to uni next year? Aleu could be 6 or even 7 by the time we would have a suitable environment for her to breed, and even then, what if it all went wrong and I lost her during the birthing process? How awful would I feel?

I think I know I need to do it.

If I wanted to, does anyone know of any vouchers or anything you can get to help pay for the costs of neutering?

Stacey xxx

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you should do it; the world doesn't need anymore puppies. I volunteer at the humane society, and they get in litters of unwanted puppies all the time. Granted, they are usually adopted right away, but it is still sad to see them in such an environment.

I feel the same way as you, though. I'm wondering what Suka's puppies would have looked like - heck, he might have already have had puppies because we don't know when he was neutered.

Thanks. I contacted PDSA, they wont help because although I am entitled to housing benefit and council tax, I can't claim it because of my landlord being robyns mum. Dogs Trust can't help me because I'm outside of the catchment area. I'm waiting for a call back from the RSPCA, but I will look at the blue cross as well.

Vets are charging £174 here for a spay, was expecting a bit less because of her weight but obviously not lol.

Stacey xxx

It seems like the right thing to do in this day and age. Everyday average pet owning people don't really need to have unspayed dogs. I'm counting down the months til Oceas time is up.

I hope you find an organisation to help with costs stacey. I know in the newspaper over here, in the classifieds there's always advertisements from random organisations that help with desexing costs and can get special deal with certain vets. I wonder if it's worth checking your paper? :)

And i'm sure aleu will do fine with surgery, she looks like such a fit and healthy dog!:D

hun remember how aleu was when she was pregnant, she wasnt liking it at all was she?? do you really wanna put her through all that again and then possibly loose her at the end of it??

plus the fact that you are gunna need help to cover spaying, you're never going to be able to afford everything that comes with breeding. Also, Mick and Terry helped you out big time last time, because otherwise they could have been picking up the pieces, I dont think its a great way to repay them, going on to have a litter that they could well have come through their doors a while later.

I was worried about the anethestic too, but she was fine, a bit dopey when she got home, but I'm so glad we got her done :)

I know. I think it's just the surgery aspect of it thats really putting me off.

I don't want to lose my dog from giving her a GA :(.

I think it's because the people that brought their dog in that died were just as happy as anything, expected a nice smooth operation and the dog was lively and happy and then boom! An hour later, the dogs taken to the aneasthetic badly and died just like that.

I would hate for that to Be Aleu, as would I hate for her to get a pyo or cancer.

AHHHHH lol.

Stacey xxx

hugs - i know how hard it is - when we got blaze neutered it was horrible knowing what we were putting him thru - but he was better that same day - infact he didnt slow down at all - tho he knew he shouldnt jump up or go upstairs for a few days - but he was still wanting his walks that night :)

if shes anything like her bro - which she deffo is - she will be fine :)

also - i think some vets can do blood tests ect before to see how they do under - dont they??

also - i think some vets can do blood tests ect before to see how they do under - dont they??

They do, but they actually wouldn't show whether they would be completely fine under GA. They're mainly to check they havent got liver and kidney problems or arent diabetic before they go for it. This one dog came in to be castrated and they opted to have the blood test done. I took it down to the lab spun the blood and tested and couldn't believe it XD She had absolutely no idea of any signs that her dog was diabetic, but sure enough it was lol, so we had to abandon the castration to get him on insulin.

Stacey xxx

I'd say stop looking for reasons not to do it and just get it done. There are risks in everything we do with our dogs no matter how good it might be for them. Heck your dog could get hit while taking it for a walk but that doesnt mean you won't ever bring it outside of the house, does it? She could have a deadly allergic reaction to a treat but does that mean you won't ever give her any? She could have a deadly reaction to a vaccine but does that mean you'll never vaccinate her? I think you get my point :) It really is for the best in your situation. Think of it this way, the chances of something going wrong during a spay only happens once, right? The chances of something going wrong during her heat happens twice a year! Plus complications if you were to breed her plus the likelihood of issues due to leaving her intact (cancers). Ever hear of PYOMETRA? This is an infection in the uterus (which dogs usually end up getting during their heat because everything is so moist and swollen - easy access for bacteria) which can only be cured by removing the entire uterus (spaying the dog). Its not as uncommon as people choose to believe. One of the dogs I run sometimes had this happen to her last year. It is fatal if not treated immediately.

As for thinking it would be cute to see what her pups looked like...thats no reason to breed at all. Ethical breeding requires a justifiable reason or purpose first and fore most. What would Aleu contribute to the breed? Considering she's not worked in harness nor is she shown this would be very hard to get....

Fully aware of the pros and cons as I said above. I understand what you're saying I really do, but I have mixed opinions on the whole breeding thing. I don't consider my dog to not be able to deliver satisfatory puppies just because she's not worked in harness or shown - Even the puppies of champions could turn out to be a nightmare in reality so I don't like that approach to thinking.

As stated in my first post anyway, I'm not even seriously thinking about breeding from her, it is a minor aspect of it all. It is quite litrally the scare of the operation itself that puts me off - always has been, and always will. I'm not looking for reasons to not do it - I have seen dogs die right in front of me because of G.A. I think I have a reason to be scared.

She is a part of my family after all, and I'm only concerened because she is part of my family.

Thank you for your contribution anyway.

Going to have to see whether financially we can get her done though.

Stacey xxx

Fully aware of the pros and cons as I said above. I understand what you're saying I really do, but I have mixed opinions on the whole breeding thing. I don't consider my dog to not be able to deliver satisfatory puppies just because she's not worked in harness or shown - Even the puppies of champions could turn out to be a nightmare in reality so I don't like that approach to thinking.

That's not what I meant :) I dont want this to turn into a debate of "whats considered ethical breeding" but I do want to clarify what I said. Sure a dog who never sees a day of work or show could still put out good pups but if you're not involved in either then what would be YOUR purpose for breeding? What would be the goal? To produce cute healthy pups? Thats a classic line used by backyard breeders. And if Aleu isnt proving her breeding worth in any way then you can't honestly say you'd be breeding for sled dogs...or breeding to improve the Siberian husky. You'd just be breeding pets..... Every litter no matter what its purpose has at least a couple "pets" there is no need to breed for them.

Stacey i've been involved in many spay/neuters. I used to work at a shelter near me where they do low cost ones and we'd see SO many a day. It was a rarity that there was a complication and even more rare that there was a death. I understand you want what's best for Aleus safety... But the longer you wait and the older she will get... the chances of complication will only increase. I was very nervous to drop Odin off at the vet for his dental. He had to be put under and he's an older dog. But it was either he had his teeth cleaned and had that nasty tooth removed... or he continue to be in worsening pain while the chances of infection grow rapidly. It had to be done. And he was fine.

Personally, in my own opinion... After what happened to Aleu before with that breeding and then her mismate and being helped out by Mick.... I don't think it would be appropriate at all to breed her. Or to even consider it. I agree with you on a lot of things Stacey but when you said this was a small reason why you didn't want to spay her... it really knocked me back for a moment.

I think we've all said or at least thought about what our dogs puppies would look like. Heck even now I wonder what Cheyenne/Mickey puppies would look like! But it's nothing I could ever have brought myself to doing. None of my dogs would make good candidates to breed. None of them. But that doesn't mean I don't think they are the most marvelous dogs in the world. That doesn't change that I think they're the most beautiful little fur children I ever could have asked god for. I don't want to be a part of the problem. I don't want to see some Husky in a shelter 5-6 years from now and find out that was one of my puppies. That would KILL me.

Does anyone knows the statistics of getting a type of cancer that could've been avoided by spayed? I would be interested in that :)

Since I only hear you should spay them to avoid cancer, it sounds like it's a very high change of getting it. But if it would be like that, than nobody would be able to breed their dogs. I've been at a breeder, no dog have got cancer so far. I've been at various other husky events. No sign (or even talked about) getting cancer. Hence, Dana is 8 years and still not spayed and has absolutely nothing. Her seasons are quite minor, she gets somewhat more affectionated and you might spot some blood with some luck, but nothing more than that.

So what IS the change of getting a type of cancer when you haven't spayed them? Anyone knows?