New video - heelwork

Bec

Hi guys

Uploaded this video for a friend of mine today, to show her the style of left about turns I do with Daisy. I thought I would share it with you guys, it's a very average video and my footwork is awful (I step off with the wrong foot at least twice :o ) but I was pretty pleased with Daisy's focus considering we haven't done any real formal obedience work in a few months.

Wanted to share so you could all "meet" my pretty girl :) She's two years old and we hope to trial for our CCD obedience title later this year. At the moment I am doing a type of training called training in drive, which is why we haven't done any formal training recently. This is not a training in drive video, just 'normal' work, which is another reason I was pretty chuffed with her heelwork.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8DJ2mFWNh8[/ame]

Again very average heelwork, but I was quite pleased with her focus for 'general' obedience work :D

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! I am pretty proud of how far she has come, especially considering we haven't done any formal training in such a long time. Hopefully I will be able to update you with a really good training in drive video soon :D

She has been way harder to train than my sibe!! If you can even believe that's possible hahaha

ETA: And in case any of you were wondering if she looks a bit chubby, she is on a diet - although she is a big beagle especially for a bitch!

She's beautiful , i have a soft spot for beagles as you no i own one too ...xxxx keep up the good work.

I think she's gorgeous too :) She's not the prettiest bitch - she had a really ugly head for a while, although it's a lot prettier now she's matured :D - but I just adore her even though we can sometimes have a real love/hate relationship LOL!!

I absolutely adore spitz breeds but I have a real love for hounds too!

more difficult that a sibe, who would have thought it, lol

BTW: I think Beagle's are cute, never owned one but they are adorable. No matter what age they never loose that adorable puppy look!

I never would have thought it either! I heard beagles were naughty and could be a real challenge but I thought 'pfft I've raised and trained a Sibe how hard can a little beagle be' - OMG I was so wrong. Soooooo wrong. The first 12 months were the hardest, I had to completely re-examine how I handled and trained my dogs as the other two were no where near as difficult as Daisy. However, once I found the 'right' way to train her I found it much easier. So she's been a real challenge but a great learning curve at the same time.

Micha was stubborn and strong willed but Daisy's scenting instincts are so much stronger than any I have dealt with when handling Micha (even his prey drive). Keeping her nose off the ground long enough to get her to focus was a real battle. I can easily motivate Micha using his prey drive (just hand me a squeaky toy and he thinks I have the best prey in the world) - that is a lot harder to do with a scent hound... I could shove food into her mouth when she is on a scent and she will just spit it out - :eek:

We are definitely making lots of progress now though :) Hence why I am so proud of her, even though sometimes she can still be a real little shit ROFL.

I heard Beagles are very food driven too and will over eat too, maybe it's there constant puppy look that gets us, lol

Did it take much to work on Micha's prey drive. would love to know more how you worked on it as could give it a go with my 3 as only need to catch the scent of something (i.e. bird, rabbit, squirrel, etc) and they become more focused on finding what it is than concentrating on me.

I heard Beagles are very food driven too and will over eat too, maybe it's there constant puppy look that gets us, lol

Did it take much to work on Micha's prey drive. would love to know more how you worked on it as could give it a go with my 3 as only need to catch the scent of something (i.e. bird, rabbit, squirrel, etc) and they become more focused on finding what it is than concentrating on me.

She is incredibly food driven!! She will do anything to get food including opening cupboard doors, opening the bin and rummaging around, bench surfing, etc etc!

I am pretty lucky with Micha as he is fairly easy going Sibe. Even our behaviourist commented that he was calm "for a sibe" :P

As with anything, I found it was more about building his focus up over time in low distraction areas and gradually moving into places that were a higher level of distraction. He has a high food drive and a high prey drive, so I can realistically use either to motivate him. I taught him that I had all the rewards and what I had was way better than what was 'over there'. I found his biggest motivation and used it to my advantage, even just taking him out to the big field near us and working him, getting him doing some obedience (heel work, sit/stays, downs, recalls etc) as he enjoys working for high value food or his favourite toy (his cuz ball).

That's not to say he doesn't get distracted sometimes on walks if something catches his prey eye but it is easy to get his focus back if I need it. The biggest challenge I have is walking him past big aggro/dominant/in your face boisterous dogs, I think the focus work we did for that really helped with controlling his prey drive too.

Well done she looks like she enjoys the training ,>>>now if I could send Kira & Tia over !!! :cool::D

Good idea anne ... diesel , maya , koda , tip and honey on there way to you ...xxx lol

You guys crack me up!! You can send them over when Daisy gets her UDX title :P

I am pretty lucky with Micha as he is fairly easy going Sibe. Even our behaviourist commented that he was calm "for a sibe" :P

As with anything, I found it was more about building his focus up over time in low distraction areas and gradually moving into places that were a higher level of distraction. He has a high food drive and a high prey drive, so I can realistically use either to motivate him. I taught him that I had all the rewards and what I had was way better than what was 'over there'. I found his biggest motivation and used it to my advantage, even just taking him out to the big field near us and working him, getting him doing some obedience (heel work, sit/stays, downs, recalls etc) as he enjoys working for high value food or his favourite toy (his cuz ball).

That's not to say he doesn't get distracted sometimes on walks if something catches his prey eye but it is easy to get his focus back if I need it. The biggest challenge I have is walking him past big aggro/dominant/in your face boisterous dogs, I think the focus work we did for that really helped with controlling his prey drive too.

Sounds easier than it probably is. Will have a look into that, Bandit has the biggest prey drive but also loves getting reawrds wether its food or toys. Luckily Marley has bigger food drive than prey drive so can use his fave treat (tuna fish chunks) for him. Gizmo will prob do best with a tug toy as he isnt very food driven on walks.

Nah it's not hard - you just need time, patience and consistency! With Sibes it is all about motivating them, and then getting reliability - they learns things quickly, it is just getting them to perform things with consistency and reliability that can be tricky!

Even taking a break from your walk for 10-15 minutes to play a game with them, tug of war, fetch or catch, a couple of commands (even the 'look' command!) can make a big difference. Always end any training or play session on your terms and when the dogs are still really interested and keen to work - ending on a high note makes them want more, as opposed to ending when they have lost interest or are tired.

Just remember to keep it fun! Focus is largely about increasing your dog's value of you. Enjoy playing and training with them, make it something they are really excited about and they will love it.

The words 'ready to work' have become a trigger for Daisy now and she gets excited and starts going into drive just hearing them, regardless of if I have food in my hand or not. You can see her jumping about at the start of the video, that is how much she loves training now! It's that kind of energy that creates great focus :D

Oh I would love to see it!! You have to try and upload it :D Gizmo sounds like he is doing really well with his training!

my phone keeps saying it can't send it as the file is too big, ggggggrrrrrrrrr - need to find a memory card for it somewhere.

Gizmo is making fab progress with the leash walking. He still pulls a bit when we first go out, with excitement but once he's had a number one and two (if you know what i mean ;)) he calms right down so he is doing very well.

• 4 months later...

awww what a good girl lol >> that was perfect, she even looked up at you (or friend) the whole time >>> with Alaska i was under the impression heel was them walking at your pace and you should be bloody greatful your husky is doing that at all LOL You sould be very proud of her...that was excellent!!! Do let us know how it goes:)

awww what a good girl lol >> that was perfect, she even looked up at you (or friend) the whole time >>> with Alaska i was under the impression heel was them walking at your pace and you should be bloody greatful your husky is doing that at all LOL You sould be very proud of her...that was excellent!!! Do let us know how it goes:)

Thanks :) It was far from perfect though LOL it was more to do with my terrible handling than Daisy, hehe.

Traditionally, heel refers to having your dog in the heel position (on your left side, their shoulder in line with your leg). The type of heel work I get Daisy to do in the video is the type of heelwork you do when you compete in obedience. The dog must have 110% focus on you, the handler. When I walk the dogs, I just like them to walk on a loose leash, so they don't need to be in formal heel position. I usually let the dogs walk a little bit in front (about a metre) as long as the leash is loose. However, if I tell Daisy to 'heel' when we're on a walk, I expect her to come to heel position and look up at me like she does in the video.

Micha hasn't be trained in formal obedience like Daisy so he's not as good at formal heel work, but he's not bad either LOL. I won't ever compete with him in a trial like I plan to with Daisy so when I do obedience training with him its just for fun.

I am really proud of her as she's been such a difficult dog especially when she was younger, and turning up to obedience club with a beagle will get you all sorts of comments like 'Oh, a beagle, I'd hate to train one of those!' or 'I'd rather train a zebra than a beagle!'. Not unlike turning up to training with a Siberian, actually, haha!! I occasionally take Micha to obedience club and leave Daisy at home, and I still remember the first night I took him - one of the instructors looked at me, and looked at Micha, and went 'A Siberian Husky and a Beagle? You really ARE crazy! Good luck with that!'. Little does he know that the husky is actually heaps easier to train than the beagle - hehe, it took Daisy two months to get from level one to level two, Micha graduated from level one on his second night hahaha.