New video - heelwork

Bec

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone :)

Yes i agree, i will send my 2 over first thing!!!! lol I know thats huskies are in no way easy to train and many seem to stay away from obedience comps, but ive heard Beagles can be really stubborn and recall is tough, so i think youve darn a great job:)

Thanks Ice :)

I will definitely be getting a Siberian pup in the future who I will train to compete with as my dog sports dog. My next pup will likely be a Finnish Lapphund as I just adore the breed, but Siberians are really special to me and I will always own at least one. Although I'm not sure I want to have another Siberian with Micha as he's my real number one boy :o:)

Siberians, like Beagles, are not a traditionally biddable breed, but IMO they are definitely trainable. I'm lucky with Micha in that he is a pretty easy going dog (for a Siberian!) although he does have that typical stubborn streak that Sibes have and has that 'I don't think so look' down pat :D But he's very easy to motivate as he's both very food and prey driven so I do have a lot to work with. There are some Siberians around in sports like obedience and agility, but not too many. I think this is largely to do with the fact that there aren't many trainers who understand how to get the best out of more challenging breeds like Siberians, because they are so used to training and competing with the more common obedience breeds (like gundogs and herding breeds).

IMO Sibes and Beagles are actually quite similar (both are stubborn, strong willed, have a reputation for being hard to train etc) and I wouldn't say one breed is harder to train than the other, in my instance I had a Siberian who is pretty calm and a Beagle who was very challenging. She's coming along nicely now and really enjoys training, hopefully we will be ready to trial by the end of the year :)

oooh how exciting, hope ya win, let us know and keep us updated with more vids lol :)

Of course ;) We are doing a training program that will take a bit longer for us to be ready to trial than it would otherwise but the results should be worth it.

Here in Oz we have a variety of 'classes' that you enter in to trial in order to compete and gain a title. You have to compete in and pass three trials in each class to get a title. The very first class being CCD (community companion dog) which is scored out of 100 points. You have to score over 75 to pass. I get nervous just thinking about trialling LOL!

LOL I doubt we''ll ever be that good! Maybe if I lived in the UK :) I wouldn't want to fly a dog over there just to compete though especially with the hassle you'd get having to quarantine them on the way back. We have lots of big national comps here anyway.

This dog is pretty good though :D

[ame]

[/ame]