dog id tags

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the same as Dunc, my dogs don't wear collars anymore, not only because it ruins their fur but a friend of mine lost her dog to collar strangulation and ever since then - our dogs wear collars on walks only! Collar danger is more common than you think, my friend's dogs were playing one got its teeth stuck in the other dog's collar and couldn't get free, it accidentally choked the other dog to death :(

However, I do have tags from when they used to wear their flat collars more regularly and Daisy has one of these on her 'dress' collar :D

http://www.petpamper.com.au/

well arnt you both lucky enough to have dogs that dont try to run out of the door and need grabbin, or need seperatin at any time , collars come in handy some times and dont get me wrong i thought it was the law that all dogs should have id tags on when in public, regardless of wether it ruins the look of their fur, i would rather have that than an unidentified dog anyday of the week, n if your dog does escape surely it would be better if they could be identified by there collar than have to go some where to see if they are microchipped, n maybe end up in kennels, so sorry to disagree with you both , n my dogs dont go anywhere with out me , but if i got knocked over or had an accident, neither of mine would hang around , so they would be off and gone ,

Oh didn't know you had to have full address on as well, I always have a tag on mine when we go out but only got their name on and my mobile number, eek - how big will the tag be with my address on lol

Will have to get some more done now for them didn't know that - thanks Jules x

well arnt you both lucky enough to have dogs that dont try to run out of the door and need grabbin, or need seperatin at any time , collars come in handy some times and dont get me wrong i thought it was the law that all dogs should have id tags on when in public, regardless of wether it ruins the look of their fur, i would rather have that than an unidentified dog anyday of the week, n if your dog does escape surely it would be better if they could be identified by there collar than have to go some where to see if they are microchipped, n maybe end up in kennels, so sorry to disagree with you both , n my dogs dont go anywhere with out me , but if i got knocked over or had an accident, neither of mine would hang around , so they would be off and gone ,

Sometimes my dogs need grabbing! But they are pretty good about going through the door - although the training I have done with them is not about 'luck' :) If you read my post properly you would have seen that my dogs always wear collars when out on a walk, just not when they are at home.

I just weigh the risks up and will not have a collar on my dogs unless they are on walks. If you had gone through what my friend did, coming home to find her dog strangled, and researched the risk of collar strangulation you might think twice about putting collars on at home.

My dogs are also microchipped so if they managed to get out of my locked yard they do have some form of identification. However - and this is the scary fact - they have more chance of being strangled by their collar than they do getting out of my well fenced yard.

This is a great site that outlines the risk of collar strangulation and also provides an alternative - breakaway collars that will still allow you to have ID on your dogs and will allow you to grab them, and walk them, but if caught on something they come apart:

http://www.breakawaycollar.com/

How does that work then if they pull half as much as my boy does? Surley the weight of him pulling will cause the collar to come away?

If you have a look at the picture, there are two d-rings that are on a separate strap that goes over the clip that comes apart... so if you are walking them, you clip the leash between the two d-rings to stop the collar coming apart.

However I always walk my dogs on martingales as my male can slip flat collars, but for people who are worried about strangulation and having ID tags on they are a good option. You could always walk on a different collar and leave the breakaway collar on when they are at home.

we have a collar on Eika some of the time, mainly because the jingling of the tag warns the cats that she's coming! Its also handy for me when i let her out to have it on so i can grab her easily to bring her back in...She never has it on in her crate.

i knew that all dogs must have tag or some sort on when in public place... mine have on every time i go out but not at home ... but i only have my surname mobile number and door number followed by post code... and to my knowledge doesn t have to be full address... so long as they can find where dog belongs im sure that is all thats required...

LOL when I've put Mish on a harness he takes it as an invitation to pull hehehe

kimba pulls so HARD on his harness but i'm training him to pull using Gee and Haw etc but on a collar he's a lot better lol

lot harder for me to walk him and train him at the moment as i'm now taking kaiser with me on our walks so getting harder to get time to ourselves lol

kimba pulls so HARD on his harness but i'm training him to pull using Gee and Haw etc but on a collar he's a lot better lol

lot harder for me to walk him and train him at the moment as i'm now taking kaiser with me on our walks so getting harder to get time to ourselves lol

It's always the way isn't it!

I couldn't imagine walking Micha and Daisy together by myself, they are always so much naughtier together, they try and play with each other as I'm walking them! :rolleyes:

mine wear collars and harness as they know when they are on the harness they go upfront and pull but when changed to the collar they walk at the side (well most of the time :P) this makes it so much easier for me when out with the bike , ,I put ID tags on the harness ,they never wear collars when not out as once Kira caught hers on the gate and was in a real panic

i knew that all dogs must have tag or some sort on when in public place... mine have on every time i go out but not at home ... but i only have my surname mobile number and door number followed by post code... and to my knowledge doesn t have to be full address... so long as they can find where dog belongs im sure that is all thats required...

i got this off the kennel club website, so would hope they know the law , lol , it states address and postcode :D

Sometimes my dogs need grabbing! But they are pretty good about going through the door - although the training I have done with them is not about 'luck' :) If you read my post properly you would have seen that my dogs always wear collars when out on a walk, just not when they are at home.

I just weigh the risks up and will not have a collar on my dogs unless they are on walks. If you had gone through what my friend did, coming home to find her dog strangled, and researched the risk of collar strangulation you might think twice about putting collars on at home.

My dogs are also microchipped so if they managed to get out of my locked yard they do have some form of identification. However - and this is the scary fact - they have more chance of being strangled by their collar than they do getting out of my well fenced yard.

This is a great site that outlines the risk of collar strangulation and also provides an alternative - breakaway collars that will still allow you to have ID on your dogs and will allow you to grab them, and walk them, but if caught on something they come apart:

http://www.breakawaycollar.com/

in our area stray dogs are taken to the police station, who dont have scanners, they r then refered on to the dog warden , who phones around kennels to check for spaces, and only when a space has been found at a kennel is a check done for the micro chip, which is why i was lookin for id tags, i would much rather they were easily identifiable and returned quickly than to go through the process of being taken from one place to the next , and with kennels being the way they r god knows where your dog will end up, n i never said once that the dogs are left unsupervised with collars on, yet people seem to have made that assumption because i was lookin for some smart id tags :confused:

Dog Identification Tags

It is a sad fact that thousands of pets go missing every year and are not returned to their owner because they have no form of identification. As animals cannot speak for themselves, it is extremely important to know that they are properly identified so that if lost, when found, they can be returned to their relieved owner as quickly as possible.

The Control of Dogs Order 1992 mandates that any dog in a public place must wear a collar with the name and address (including postcode) of the owner engraved or written on it, or engraved on a tag. Your telephone number is optional (but advisable). We are only able to engrave a maximum of four lines on each side of the tag. The more characters on a line, the smaller the engraving will be.

You can be fined up to 5,000 if your dog does not wear an identification tag.

Exceptions

Dogs used on official duties by the armed forces, HM Customs & Excise or the police

Dogs used for sporting purposes and packs of hounds

Dogs used for the capture or destruction of vermin

Dogs used for driving or tending cattle or sheep

Guide Dogs for the Blind

Dogs used for emergency rescue work

There are many different connotations that you may wish to adopt to ensure that the information on your pet's tag ensures that they can be returned to you as quickly as possible if they stray. Some people feel the need to display the dog's name on the tag as a useful assistance if the dog should be found, while others feel this could be used in a more negative way, if a dog should be stolen.

It is also difficult sometimes to display the whole address and telephone number on a small 1 inch tag. Therefore as your postcode relates to a section of houses in one particular road. If you then add your house number this can accurately identify your address. In line with the law and the Scheme's description, we have come up with a few suggestions:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/379

also worth looking at

http://www.indigocollartags.com/

in our area stray dogs are taken to the police station, who dont have scanners, they r then refered on to the dog warden , who phones around kennels to check for spaces, and only when a space has been found at a kennel is a check done for the micro chip, which is why i was lookin for id tags, i would much rather they were easily identifiable and returned quickly than to go through the process of being taken from one place to the next , and with kennels being the way they r god knows where your dog will end up, n i never said once that the dogs are left unsupervised with collars on, yet people seem to have made that assumption because i was lookin for some smart id tags :confused:

Sorry D&T, I really was just responding to Dunc's post about why he doesn't leave them on his dogs, and agreeing with him - I never said you do, I just said why I don't :)

I did provide you with a link to an awesome collar tag website, I have had one of their tags for more than two years and it is still in perfect condition and so much easier to read than metal tags with engraving.

Not sure if they ship overseas but it would be worth checking out, the collars themselves aren't expensive at all!

Some states have laws here about microchipping but we don't have laws about ID tags :) The law is that your dog must be registered with the local council and wear the local council tag on their collar (it just has the registration number on it, under which all your dogs details are stored with at the council).

Am sorry I think we got the wrong end of the stick here mine don't wear collars at all like I stated but there are id tags on there harnesses when we take them out but nothing on then when in the house or garden, didn't know it was law thou so it just goes to show even I don't know everything ;)

I don't know about fines here in Northern Ireland, but our dogs have to be licensed, they then get an ID number from the council which should they go walk about all the info is stored to that number, it only costs 5 for the year. Our also have tags from Petlog which says "I am chipped". Don't think I could bare it if I lost them. If I had my way they would have about 6 discs saying name address reward if found chipped phone number etc etc list goes on.

Sad and soppy me but i would never sleep knowing one of the dogs isn't home and would blame myself if I hadn't done everything possible to show where their home is.

Pet log is good too, if you upgrade by paying 10 you get all sorts to help you find a lost dog, fylers, emails notifications sent out to a large radius to police stations, kennels, pounds, vets etc.

Touch wood never had to use this, but I get it anyway as I wouldn't want to tempt fate.