I am seriously at the end of my tether with this dog!!!!!!!

Tamz

We've always had great access to our off lead dog park, so i've never really had any issue with them being bouncing off the walls... but you can try getting a pack and when you walk him put the pack on with just a little bit of weight (not much as he's young still) but it will help. It did with our Malinois (super high energy/drive.)

i'd forgot about the backpacks lol- we did look at these a few months back :) thanks x x

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey hun try not to let it get you done to much i know its hard and hes age doesn't help i think it works out that hes just becoming a rebelling teenager!!! shadow my mother and father in-laws dog is the same age and hes crazy!!!!!!! they left him in the kitchen the other day uncreated for 15 minutes and came back to find it on fire!!:o

silly sods left a tea cosy on top of oven and as he chewed the knob it turned on the ring and caught tea cosy and kitchen cupboard alight!! he has an awfull amount of energy and in-laws were just not finding him a pleasure to be around.

i said to them rather then there mid day walk bring him to mine and let him play off-lead in my garden with the girls for an hour or so.

i can honestly say hes a much better dog the playing wears him out more then running coz hes using hes brain too.

is there anybody who lives close enough to you for a play date for an hour or so for free run play? I'm sure in that time u could have a cuppa and chat with them rather then running round like a blue a**e fly lol. good luck with him hun I'm sure he will settle down keep us updated if you find a solution x x

omg :o hope it wasnt too bad- the fire i mean :o

gunna see what i can find close to me as i cant carry on like this- zombie nation isnt a good thing to have lmao

sounds like a 9 month old sibe to me! laugh.gif Pongo was the same way until he hit around 11 months old and he calmed a bit. Is your dog fixed? sometimes this can give extra energy if they're not. I never really followed the 5 min per month of age rule either. I would walk until he seemed to get tired and end the walk. lots of play time around the house works well. chew toys or something they can sink their teeth into keep them occupied. Pongo has always had lots of things to chew laying around so he doesn't get bored. keep trying as this is the worst age IMO and it only gets better from there. let us know how it's going

sounds like a 9 month old sibe to me! laugh.gif Pongo was the same way until he hit around 11 months old and he calmed a bit. Is your dog fixed? sometimes this can give extra energy if they're not. I never really followed the 5 min per month of age rule either. I would walk until he seemed to get tired and end the walk. lots of play time around the house works well. chew toys or something they can sink their teeth into keep them occupied. Pongo has always had lots of things to chew laying around so he doesn't get bored. keep trying as this is the worst age IMO and it only gets better from there. let us know how it's going

i agree with you lyn

my ten month old is the same and she is great!!!

Good luck hun, Nikita was hyper at that age as well, she's now 20 months old and times like now (its morning here lol), I went up to get dressed and she's gone back to bed (lucky bugger :lol:) I probably wont see her now for another hour or so until she wants to go out for a wee (she'll only go in the backgarden) at 8/9 months she was getting 4/5 walks a day at least and they were a minimum of 20 minutes a time, but I am lucky in the fact I also have an adult shepherd mix.

Do you have a treat ball or anything like that? I got one for nikita at the weekend and she loves it, keeps her amused for a while :D

it will get easier hun i promise xx

Backpacks are a great idea and he's old enough now to start using one! :up:

When you take the kids to nursery, how about taking him in the car too? Can he be put safely in the boot? He will get mental stimulation from just driving around with you whilst you do your chores :)

awww how can you be angry @ shiloh?? everyone made some crackin points on here hun, how's about getting him out a bit more in the evenings like coming round to someones in the area and letting him have a run and a play? xxx

you know i will come to your anytime but i jst feel so darn cheeky when you have been at work allday long- the lsat thing you want is me and stinky invading your homw- or do you????dry.gif

its jst difficult...i know i keep saying it but it is- chloe is a handful at the best of times now i also have a hyper husky and 2 3yrolds to look after at the same time.....thankgod i dye my hair coz its defo grey from all this lmao :lol: :lol:

i took him out for a quick blast at 3.40- took us about 30mins...usually takes me 15mins but chloe and kam were with me both walking so it slowed everything down :lol:

gunna nip to my mates after tea to drop her little girls belated bday prezzie off- will take him with me aswell...fink its 20min round trip...surely then he will be abit calmer later on???

thanks for all the advice...will try and do more walks tomoz and see how he is :)

Ive seen alot of physical exercise suggestions which for a sibe is brilliant :)

From what Im guessing is Shiloh (for his current age) gets enough physical exercise, is fed a decent diet, and has planty of toys to play with but gets bored of them and yourself when you have one on one time with him.

Can I ask, is his toys left down all day for him so he has free access to them whenever he pleases?

Sometime when this happens dogs will get bored of their toys as they just loose interest of them (its not new anymore and just not exciting). Have you considered putting his toys away where he cant get them and then pick a couple for him to have that day and then the next day rotate the toys so he get different toys. Also use your voice and body language to encourage him to come and play with his toys, you need to be the one that motivates him. Think when theres more than one dog in the house, if one dog is interested in one toy then they all want that particular toy, you can also do this with yourself and Shiloh. If you look and act really interested in one of his toys that you have then he might think 'whats so interesting, i want to find out.....' and come over to play with you. It works with my 3, if Im the one with the interesting toy then they all come over to investigate.

Also Shiloh is at a perfect age to train :) Training is a great way to provide not just physical exercise but also mental stimulation which also something huskies need to have (a bored, under stimulated husky can lead to problems). Training doesnt just have to be the basics, especially if he already knows the commands well. I would recommend maybe joining a training class of an evening where shiloh can meet other dogs and people and also you can learn about teaching him commands (maybe try a doggy dance class which could be fun). Or if you know what your doing you can teach him at home, either way it will provide him with mental stimulation.

He may be a bit too young now to start but you could also look into agility too (maybe set up a small course in your back garden) which will provide both pysical exercise and mental stimulation :)

Hope this helps

tamz it's not like you're going to be round there for like 5hrs!!!! you're welcome whenever u want! it's nice to see people in the evening otherwise it's like a monotomous (sp) routine of work, home, work, home!!!!

even if i'm not there mike is and ozzy definately is!!! lol im not there 2night but mike is-just give me a text and say 'am i ok for a brew' xxx

its jst difficult...i know i keep saying it but it is- chloe is a handful at the best of times now i also have a hyper husky and 2 3yrolds to look after at the same time.....thankgod i dye my hair coz its defo grey from all this lmao :lol: :lol:

i took him out for a quick blast at 3.40- took us about 30mins...usually takes me 15mins but chloe and kam were with me both walking so it slowed everything down :lol:

gunna nip to my mates after tea to drop her little girls belated bday prezzie off- will take him with me aswell...fink its 20min round trip...surely then he will be abit calmer later on???

thanks for all the advice...will try and do more walks tomoz and see how he is :)

I can imagine how difficult it is hun, when Nikita was that age I had a 9 year old, a 10 year old and I was pregnant :lol:, but I was obviously in a better position than you are as the older 2 and their friends would play with the dogs in the garden. Hope the extra walks help

Ive seen alot of physical exercise suggestions which for a sibe is brilliant :)

From what Im guessing is Shiloh (for his current age) gets enough physical exercise, is fed a decent diet, and has planty of toys to play with but gets bored of them and yourself when you have one on one time with him.

Can I ask, is his toys left down all day for him so he has free access to them whenever he pleases?

Sometime when this happens dogs will get bored of their toys as they just loose interest of them (its not new anymore and just not exciting). Have you considered putting his toys away where he cant get them and then pick a couple for him to have that day and then the next day rotate the toys so he get different toys. Also use your voice and body language to encourage him to come and play with his toys, you need to be the one that motivates him. Think when theres more than one dog in the house, if one dog is interested in one toy then they all want that particular toy, you can also do this with yourself and Shiloh. If you look and act really interested in one of his toys that you have then he might think 'whats so interesting, i want to find out.....' and come over to play with you. It works with my 3, if Im the one with the interesting toy then they all come over to investigate.

Also Shiloh is at a perfect age to train :) Training is a great way to provide not just physical exercise but also mental stimulation which also something huskies need to have (a bored, under stimulated husky can lead to problems). Training doesnt just have to be the basics, especially if he already knows the commands well. I would recommend maybe joining a training class of an evening where shiloh can meet other dogs and people and also you can learn about teaching him commands (maybe try a doggy dance class which could be fun). Or if you know what your doing you can teach him at home, either way it will provide him with mental stimulation.

He may be a bit too young now to start but you could also look into agility too (maybe set up a small course in your back garden) which will provide both pysical exercise and mental stimulation :)

Hope this helps

cheers huni :)

he has been through 2 lots of puppy classes- passed them both :)

he knows all commands- except giving the paw :(

and as for the agility- he will be starting it soon..gotta wait for the next start date but he is on the list- our trainer is doing it so i know it will be great for us all

thanks for the tips on the toys...he does have a few he can get to all day- his ball (which used to squeak lol) and a huge rope thingy...will try what you said though bout rotating etc :)

cheers huni :)

he has been through 2 lots of puppy classes- passed them both :)

he knows all commands- except giving the paw :(

and as for the agility- he will be starting it soon..gotta wait for the next start date but he is on the list- our trainer is doing it so i know it will be great for us all

thanks for the tips on the toys...he does have a few he can get to all day- his ball (which used to squeak lol) and a huge rope thingy...will try what you said though bout rotating etc :)

my 3 used to have free use of their toys and also used to get bored of them after a while where they just got left around and after not allowing them free use of their toys they do seem to be more interested in them whne they come out :) Also but adding more excitement to myself, it does seem to make it more intersting for the boys. Also rotating could also show Shiloh that you control playtime/toys.

All the best with the agility. I keep meaning to try teaching some dance moves to my 3 and get some vids up for everyone else to watch :blink:.

Tamz, only just dropping in on this, Shiloh is going through what every 9 month old husky owner has experienced - it IS hard but you say that as if you are letting him or yourself down - you're not .... You have your hands full as it is & you're trying to juggle everything. Don't beat yourself up.

There's some great tips here, hopefully some of them will appeal to Shiloh & he'll start to chill a bit for you, but we are here for you, whether it's advice or to shout & rant at, or to pick Shiloh up & walk him, whatever - wish I'd have known sooner, I could've picked him up on my days off & trotted him round the park with my 2, but whatever, if you need a hand ...... "SHOUT UP!" :lol:

And as for feeling cheeky turning up at someone's house - SO WHAT??!! :P As Diz says, Ozzy is on his own, I bet he'd love a playmate & try & tire Shiloh out for you!! :lol: :lol:

i feel your pain :lol: Embry has been being a downright handful the last few months. I let him outside in the morning on his 30ft lead(don't have a fenced yard) for about 20min to play in the field. Then around 2.30 I take him to the 10acre fenced dog park for an hour. we usually walk 2 miles with him there, and then he plays with his doggie friends the rest. We come home and he sleeps till I get home from work and then he wants me to chase him around the house. Do you have squeaky toys? Those do Embry in for HOURS

Hi hun..

HUGE hugs to you.. I can empathise with you on this one..

I have found that since next doors bitch was on heat - Neo has done the same thing..

Walks were no longer enough for him.. the toys he had he became bored of.. he even got fed up with the food he was having.. and constantly was like a kid with ants in their pants..

When he woke before he would just bark once to go out.. get let out and then go back to bed for an hour.. now he's up at around six and that's it - the whole street is up too..

He's used to bring his toys to us to play - now he comes runnning in and headbutts us, and nips to get attention..

I used to play with him in the garden for 15 mins in the evening.. now he will play for five and then run off with the toy..

It is hard.. and can fully understand where you are coming from - as I also run a business from home sometimes I work until 1am.. then i'm up again at 6am with him and my 3yr old..

But I can guarantee hun it does get easier.. Neo has calmed a lot in the last week since his walks have been split through the day.. so not necessarily longer - just one more walk..

We don't take him the same place everytime.. and he prefers that :) as it's more mentally challenging..

If we go out in the car - we try to take him with us..

We can't leave him tied up anywhere here - someone would steal him - so too like you won't be able take him on the nursery runs *unless my partners shift work out we can go together*

A great one for Neo - is an old plastic bottle - we get one most days from either milk or fruit flavoured water.. and we rinse them, take off the labels, fill with water and let him run about the garden with them until they are too mashed up to not cut his mouth..

We also have a new game - where we make him guess which hand the treat is - and he paws the one he thinks.. *he doesn't always get it right...lol*

I found that it was silly things that started to help.. like if I was going in the kitchen to make a cuppa and he followed me in there - just spend a couple of minutes making him guess the hand.. and he was spending less time up my backside and more time laying with us as a family..

I have HUGE hugs for you hun.. and really hope you can lay off yourself a little.. you are doing a great job or you wouldn't be on here asking for help..

Let us know how it goes hun..

Nikki xx