I am seriously at the end of my tether with this dog!!!!!!!

Tamz

i am sick to the high heavens of his behaviour at the moment.....he is being such a pain in the butt it is unreal :angry:

i dont know what to do with him anymore........he is constantly hyper no matter how many time i take him out...no amount of exercise seems to be enough for him :angry:

if he is out in the back he goes around ripping everything up..or will jump up at the patio door scrathing his paws down it in the process or stand and bark/howl at the back gate :(

when he is inseide he is like a dog possessed- i am just really struggling with him and looking after chloe and my 2 childminded kids...he is jst bouncing off the walls and i dont know what to do to help/stop it :(

he gets taken out first thing for a 15min walk...then at around 9.30ish..usually for a hr then at night ian takes him out for a 30min blast on the bike and he still is so hyper- what can i do???

please someone help me as i am loosing my mind :(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

shiloh is too young to be put on a bike!!!!!!

do you have kongs and stuff??

do you play with him in the house?

he sounds a bit bored or you may just have an overly destructive dog!!

do you crate him?

how many walks does he get?

do you have any one on one time with him?

what do you feed him???

does he get human food or does he eat things from the ground that may make him hyper?

um not sure what else to suggest

You could try doing things the other way around hun. Can ian take him out for a run on the bike first thing in the morning? Kaya used to be hyper during the day from just being walked but since we started running her early in the morning, she just sleeps all day :lol:

to be honest he hasnt got time- he leaves for work at 5.45am so i can only take him for a quick walk really as have chloe in bed still and start work at 6.45am :(

shiloh is too young to be put on a bike!!!!!!

do you have kongs and stuff??

do you play with him in the house?

he sounds a bit bored or you may just have an overly destructive dog!!

do you crate him?

how many walks does he get?

do you have any one on one time with him?

what do you feed him???

does he get human food or does he eat things from the ground that may make him hyper?

um not sure what else to suggest

he has loads of toys to play with but he gets bored quickly

he is crated but only when i aint or at bedtime

he has 2 walk per day- 1 for 15mins and 1 for around an hr then ian takes him out at night for a blast on bike

i have 1 on 1 time with him all the time but again he either looses interest or starts being mean and lunges at me and barks and tries to bite :(

he is a mix or dry and raw...he has dry in morning and raw in evening- he doesnt eat anything off floor as he is either crated when we eat or he goes outside

what time does he get up?

my dad leaves the house at 5.30am.

he gets up at 4.30 to give the dogs a good walk first to make sure they are exercised before i get up

he gets up at 5am...he works 12 hr shifts sometimes longer- depends what probs arrise at work

thats why i take him out for a quick walk first thing

my dad also works 12 hour shifts and still gets up to walk the dogs,

the lunging and biting- HE IS A PUPPY N WANTS TO PLAY

daughtry does that all the time to me

shilioh needs to be walked more, being let out in the garden isnt enough

he needs mental stimulation and he can get that on walks

not being funny but you got a dog that needs on average as an adult 6 miles a day!!!!!!!!!

they are a very active breed and need to be walked more

this is great

gettin mixed messages on here now....first of all i get told 5min for every month now its 6miles per day???

if its okay to walk him 6miles per day why did i get told it was too much a few months back on a post about clocking how far you walk with your dog???

i am doing the best i can with him-it is hard!! i didnt think it would be so hard but it is- i admit i am really struggling with him and chloe and the moment and trying to work aswell- i am at home on my own allday, i cant do more than what i am with him

i wont come on here again for advice if all i get is negative comments

6 miles as an adult dog!!!!!

i dont mean to sound harsh but these dogs do take a lot of work and we all struggle sometimes

can you not get a puppysitter to walk him during the day?

or get like a ball that makes noises?

or even get him a friend?

my three keep each other busy and out of trouble!!!!

maybe ask ian for more help from him as you have so much to do yourself and he can even out tne responsibilities

kelly

tamz im gonna tell you what i do with mine, - and skyla is just gone 9 months they get 3 or 4 twenty minute walks a day spread out over the day, their first walk is at 8:30-ish am their next walk (if we do it) is at 11am, then then go again at 3pm then again at 6pm, then they settle down for the rest of the night, is it possible to walk him more , not for longer just more often, does he get attention when you are working, if not its probably because he is bored you could also do some training with him, doesnt have to be anything complicated, just teach him to give you his left paw and then his right paw or somthing just to make him use his brain and that will calm him down abit

hope this helps hun

he has toys that nake noises but our dogtrainer said to disbale to squeak as it sounds similar to a child screaming so you dont want him to think its the same noise if the he ever bit her etc (i honestly dont fink he would but you never know )

ian helps when he can but sometimes we hardly see him, he is a technical manager so alot of problems happen at work that he has to deal with, so is at work - alot at the moment

i knew it would be hard but didnt expect it to be like this- its as though no amount of exercise is enough for him....he has 1hr 30mins with me during day then 30mins with ian at night- if the 5min rule for every month is correct then surely 45mins is enough??

not for shiloh though- he is the dog that never rests :(

tamz im gonna tell you what i do with mine, - and skyla is just gone 9 months they get 3 or 4 twenty minute walks a day spread out over the day, their first walk is at 8:30-ish am their next walk (if we do it) is at 11am, then then go again at 3pm then again at 6pm, then they settle down for the rest of the night, is it possible to walk him more , not for longer just more often, does he get attention when you are working, if not its probably because he is bored you could also do some training with him, doesnt have to be anything complicated, just teach him to give you his left paw and then his right paw or somthing just to make him use his brain and that will calm him down abit

hope this helps hun

im gunna try tomoz and see if taking him out more often will make a difference....its jst difficult tryin to juggle my daily goings on and shiloh at the same time........this is what my day consists of

5.30- 15min walk with shiloh

6.15am- get chloe up, showered and dressed

6.45- kam arrives

7.15am- sort breakfast out

8.30am- take kam to nursery

9.30ish- take shiloh out for an about an hr

11.30- pick megs up from nursery

11.45- pick kam up from nursery

12.15- sort dinner out

12.30- put chloe down for a sleep

2.00- get chloe up

3.30- take megs home

4.15- start tea for kam and chloe

5.15- kam goes home

this is what happens on a daily basis 5 days per week :( its as though i dont breath i swear

will see if i can fit another walk in there somewhere and see if it helps the situation

thanks hun x

this is great

gettin mixed messages on here now....first of all i get told 5min for every month now its 6miles per day???

if its okay to walk him 6miles per day why did i get told it was too much a few months back on a post about clocking how far you walk with your dog???

i am doing the best i can with him-it is hard!! i didnt think it would be so hard but it is- i admit i am really struggling with him and chloe and the moment and trying to work aswell- i am at home on my own allday, i cant do more than what i am with him

i wont come on here again for advice if all i get is negative comments

Please dont worry hun, it gets easier as they get older, I PROMISE :)

We run kaya on the bike for about 20mins every morning, then my son takes her out for a walk when he gets in from school, this is no longer that 10 mins coz his xbox is calling!! then we either run her or walk her again in the night usually for around 25mins. This seems to do the trick and she is sooo calm now. Over the weekend we had loads to do so we didn't get a chance to walk her and she was nothing short of a DEMON!! She chewed my daughters new doll into pieces and was jumping up on us howling as if to say WALK ME!!! I have never seen her like that before, it was purely down to lack of excercise. So if you could get someone to run him in the morning hun I am 100% certain he would be heaps calmer for you. I have just got in from running kaya and I couldn't even tell you where she is. just been to look and she is fast asleep in her crate :lol:

Chin up hun, just try to organise someone to run him in the mornings and see how it goes xx

when you go to pick up the other children from nursery can you not walk him then - take him with you? or do you have to drive there?

ill be honest again here n it might get me shot but who cares - we got skyla at 14 weeks n since then she has always had 4 20 mins walks, if she got tired we picked her up and carried her, but she still came on all the walks the boys had, when we got blaze he started off with two walks n at around 4 or 5 months he started getting more walks, by about 8/9 months he was gettin 6 walks a day, the only reason these walks have been cut down to 4 is because my mum no longer works in the afternoon so i dont walk with her to and from work anymore

Can you get a dog walker, maybe someone close by on here, to take him to the dog park (your kinda close arent ya?)

Kira is very calm, but she is exercised to death lol, twice a week we walk 2 hours to the dog park, spend 2-3 hours there, then 2 hours walk back. Every other day we walk half an hour up the road to ricks mums where she gets to play with her 2 dogs for at least an hour, sometimes we're there all day, then half an hour walk back.

Add to that her harness work aswell, she is very well exercised, and as a result, she sleeps 99% of the time we are at home.

1 hour 15 minutes isnt enough really, especially if he is not getting to go offlead (in a safe area obviously) or meet other dogs.

Also remember that taking the same route every single day does nothing for their energy levels, the sights and smells are the same, so there is no mental stimulation there, we take kira into town just so she can meet new people and smell new things.

15minutes for every month of their age is the amount of time on a wlak at any one time, not in a whole day :)

what kibble do you feed?

It does get easier ;)

he is on james wellbeloved now- he has that first thing then raw in evening- chicken wings, tuna, necks etc oh and much to my disgust offal :blink:

thanks sid.....i have been misled- been thinking 45mins walk was enough for whole day- he is my first and last husky so i dont really have alot of experince which is why i come on here for advice so much

why would i have a go wont get anywhere will it :) thats a shame you cant walk him to the nurseries would make things easier for you, like alison says why dont you turn his morning walk into a run or a jog? that will wear him down more than a walk AND whenever you can, if you have to nip to a shop or sumthing, then take him with you :)

We've always had great access to our off lead dog park, so i've never really had any issue with them being bouncing off the walls... but you can try getting a pack and when you walk him put the pack on with just a little bit of weight (not much as he's young still) but it will help. It did with our Malinois (super high energy/drive.)

hey hun try not to let it get you done to much i know its hard and hes age doesn't help i think it works out that hes just becoming a rebelling teenager!!! shadow my mother and father in-laws dog is the same age and hes crazy!!!!!!! they left him in the kitchen the other day uncreated for 15 minutes and came back to find it on fire!!:o

silly sods left a tea cosy on top of oven and as he chewed the knob it turned on the ring and caught tea cosy and kitchen cupboard alight!! he has an awfull amount of energy and in-laws were just not finding him a pleasure to be around.

i said to them rather then there mid day walk bring him to mine and let him play off-lead in my garden with the girls for an hour or so.

i can honestly say hes a much better dog the playing wears him out more then running coz hes using hes brain too.

is there anybody who lives close enough to you for a play date for an hour or so for free run play? I'm sure in that time u could have a cuppa and chat with them rather then running round like a blue a**e fly lol. good luck with him hun I'm sure he will settle down keep us updated if you find a solution x x