PLEASE READ THIS.Can someone please, please help me :(.

I have an eight month old husky called Malakai who is very boisterous and tries to dominate me, we are working on overcoming the issues and I did alot of research before I got him so I was fully prepared for everything he throws at me and I am willing to deal with it however is necessary. The only problem is, myself and my partner have split up which means I am having to move back in with my mum....and she is not prepared for his behaviour! I have tried finding him a new forever home and do have a few people who are interested but im very wary of sending him to a new home and really dont want to be without him, he means everything to me. My mum owns a parrot and whenever we go round there his main objective is to get to the bird to kill it (he has done this with wild birds in the past), I have tried telling my mum I will keep them apart and build him a run and very large kennel in the garden etc but she says its going to stress the bird out and the bird wont be able to go in the garden in the summer! In my opinion its only a silly bird, but I think the parrot means to her what Malakai means to me. He is also very boisterous, trys to pinch food, jumps up at people, scratches and barges her back door if left outside, howls if left outside in her garden (he never does this at our house!), mouths me, and is generally very hyperactive. I know these are all things he shouldnt be doing and im working on training him but I need to convince my mum he can behave well and calmly around her house, I have until the 6th November to come up with a solution or at least improve on the issues as this is the date we have to be out of the house. Does anyone know of a good dog trainer who will come and assist me with ways to correct the unwanted behaviour? preferably a trainer who has husky knowledge! Im getting so desperate im actually considering trying to find out about some kind of homeless shelter that we can both go to as I really dont want to give him up and cant afford a house on my own and think its unfair to keep him in a flat, especially as I work some days during the week. Please someone, give me some advice :'( xxx

i dont know of any behaviouists but im sure someone on here can help

i think malachai needs a lot of training to make you the alpha and to make him less dominant

im sorry that you have to move back with your parents, thats harsh!!

can you keep the bird in your mums room and not allow the dog in there?

maybe put up dog gates and get a crate for him?

you need to stop any unwanted behaviour straight away with a loud no!

no slapping or shouting but you must let him know what he has done is wrong and on the flipside praise and give treats for good behaviour so that he is learning

get him toys and keep him mentally stimulated. take him for an extra long walk/jog before you leave and that should calm him down a bit

hope this helps hun

kelly

There is an old saying - a well exercised Husky is a good Husky. So this begs the question: How much exercise are you giving him each day? I'm not indicating that you are not giving him any, or that it is not enough, but simply posing the question. Maybe if you added some activity to his schedule, taking him for an extended walk, do some training session with him to help stimulate his mental process, and tire him out a bit. That's what we did with Zoya when she was younger. It worked wonders for her. In all honesty, Zoya does have about an acre fenced in area behind the house, plus our son's dog to run with, so she gets tons of exercise on a daily basis. It does, however, make a huge difference.

What are you feeding him? A diet to high in protien or colours and flavours can cause hyperactive behaviour. Like Mazz said excersise is also very important could you start training him the comands to scooter or bike with him to tire him out. Also what kind of training have you done with him so far? I work on the "Nothing in life is free" princple so make my dogs work for everything they get with good behaviour. You may not need a behaviourist try looking up obedience causes in your area and enrolling him, it can be remarkabley helpful just to have someone instructing you to train your dog, they can give you advice with specific problems and help you train your dog so you have a good bond and a build up of trust and respect so he will do as you ask more, plus it has the added bonus of tireing him mentally so he doesnt run rings around you! :)

Good luck, hugs, I really hope you get this sorted hon. Please keep us informed of what you do we're all pulling for you!

All good advice given above.

As for you not wanting to keep him in a flat.........as long as you give him plenty of exercise and he doesn't make noise and carry on when home alone, there shouldn't be an issue with keeping him in a flat. They don't have to run around and be boisterous in the house.

Good luck and I hope you can find a solution that works for both you and Malakai

Hello....couldnt resist another quick look before i signed off the computer lol. He has a scooter but I want to wait until he is a year old before using it as i dont want to damage his joints, I have started trying to teach him the commands but havent got very far yet to be honest. He is on Wainwrights dry food at the moment, do you think I should try something different? If yes could you please tell me what you recommend. He knows basic training eg. sit, paw, other one, lie down, stay, he is good at waiting for his dinner and is remarkable at sitting down when we get to the front door and waiting for me to go in first (he even remembers it when i forget!) , he sits to cross roads etc, he is still learning to heel and i have recently started clicker training him. I used to take him to training classes but was put off as i found the trainer very rude and didnt like the way he treated the dogs there (something alot of other people agreed on). He has toys, bones etc and i bought him a soundbite ball to stimulate his mind (it makes a noise and you put treats inside it, he has to roll it around to get them out) , within less than 5 minutes of him having it he had his bottom jaw and tounge stuck inside the device and was rushed to an animal hospital 1 hour away for surgery, the company are now under investigation and it was really stressful for malakai and myself so im now wary of toys aswel :( . Can you recommend any good toys aswel please? sorry to be such a pain, we seem to of had all the bad luck lately ! Thanks again xx

I have an eight month old husky called Malakai who is very boisterous and tries to dominate me, we are working on overcoming the issues and I did alot of research before I got him so I was fully prepared for everything he throws at me and I am willing to deal with it however is necessary. The only problem is, myself and my partner have split up which means I am having to move back in with my mum....and she is not prepared for his behaviour! I have tried finding him a new forever home and do have a few people who are interested but im very wary of sending him to a new home and really dont want to be without him, he means everything to me. My mum owns a parrot and whenever we go round there his main objective is to get to the bird to kill it (he has done this with wild birds in the past), I have tried telling my mum I will keep them apart and build him a run and very large kennel in the garden etc but she says its going to stress the bird out and the bird wont be able to go in the garden in the summer! In my opinion its only a silly bird, but I think the parrot means to her what Malakai means to me. He is also very boisterous, trys to pinch food, jumps up at people, scratches and barges her back door if left outside, howls if left outside in her garden (he never does this at our house!), mouths me, and is generally very hyperactive. I know these are all things he shouldnt be doing and im working on training him but I need to convince my mum he can behave well and calmly around her house, I have until the 6th November to come up with a solution or at least improve on the issues as this is the date we have to be out of the house. Does anyone know of a good dog trainer who will come and assist me with ways to correct the unwanted behaviour? preferably a trainer who has husky knowledge! Im getting so desperate im actually considering trying to find out about some kind of homeless shelter that we can both go to as I really dont want to give him up and cant afford a house on my own and think its unfair to keep him in a flat, especially as I work some days during the week. Please someone, give me some advice :'( xxx

Hi,

Im afraid Wales is too far for me to come and I don't know any other trainers there with husky knowledge.

Okay so the basics of this are that you have teenage husky who from the sounds of it has has very little basic training. Please don't take offence, im sure you have tried your hardest you just haven't had the right help with it so far.

Moving in with your mum will be very difficult. I know this because I've just had to do the same thing with my 3 dogs and 3 parrots.

So here are the basics for you. Dominance in dogs is never shown to people. Its a story that is very very old and has no consiquence in how dogs behave with humans. I reccomend a copy of the culture clash book which will give you all the basic info on how a dog thinks. Its a book I reccomed to all owners, especially those who believe they have a dog that trys to "dominate" them. I know domination is a hard consept for a lot of people to let go but believe me - dogs are not trying to take over the world. You dont breed, hunt, eat or behave the same way as your dog. He does not see you as a dog therefore does not want/need to dominate you. Humans are a resource to dogs. You provide things for your dog and a worth something to them. They don't love you and wont do something just because you ask. You have to find out what motivates your dog in order to train it. Food (hot dog, cheese, saussage, burgers etc) Toys (squeeky, balls, tuggs, rubber) praise (high voice, prase and voise, contact, eye contact)

So for the training that I would reccomend:

Rule number one. Everyone that comes to the house and lives with the house must follow the same rules where the dog is concerned.

Rule two. Birds and huskies dont mix. My parrots mean as much to me as my dogs do. My african grey is only two and will therefore see me well into my old age. It is your responsability to keep your dog away from your mums bird.

Rule three. You are the human. What you say goes. It needs to be done. You always ask the dog first, then tell it, then inforce what you want done.

Rule four. No harsh physical punishments! Never ever strike, pin, shout, shake, scruff the dog.

Okay so jumping up is a big problem? is it mainly when someone goes in the house or all the time? This bit of training will help with both.

When someone comes in the house, they ignore the dog. They must go straight into a room and turn to a window or the wall so their back is to the dog. No talking to it, no touching and no eyecontact on the way through. Now that they are facing the wall they can talk to you (you also need to ignore the dog) and have a chat but they can't turn round until the dog is calm. When the dog calms down they can then start moving about. Every time the dog starts jumping up they turn away again. Dog learns I jump up I get ignored no fun. When the dog is calm and well behaved the dog gets treats. Dog learns, im calm (4 feet on floor) I get treats. I would reccomend filling your pockets with treats so you can dish them out whenever the dog is calm. If hes laying down, he gets a treat, if hes in his bed he gets a treat. All good behaviour gets a treat. The idea is by ignorning the bad and praising the good the dog self elimantes the unwanted behaviour. Dogs wont show behaviours that dont get them anything so make sure you dont reward any jumping up. If he jumps up for the back door dont open it etc.

If the dog is jumping up on you in general every time you move I would reccomend using your sit command. He approaches you, you ask for a sit then treat him. Same with anyone else. If this doesn't work go to the wall and stand there untill he goes away.

How much exercise are you doing a day? I would look at really trying to wear him out. A dog with less phyiscal energy is a tired dog. You can also change the way you feed him so it takes longer. Dogs naturally spend about 16 days hunting, forraging, eating, regurgiating, re eating and burrying there food. I like to use activity balls and kongs to feed as well as scatterfeeding in the garden so the dog has to nose about for its food.

Try working on playing games like tug and fetch. Do basic training with leave it, sit, down, come, roll over.

So as for the dominance. What is the dog doing that you think makes him dominant?

If hes jumps on the chairs when your on them get up and walk away. Everytime he gets on the chair you get off and walk away. Make sure hes got his own bed and he gets treats and chews (raw hides, bones etc) in his bed so its a nice place. I'd also invest in some dog gates so you can move into different rooms without the dog. If he nips when your playing end the game straight away and walk away. Go back a few moments later and then start playing again.

If he is possessive then you just need to make sure you reward him whenever you need to take someting from him and teach him a really good leave it command. This will also help with the food stealing. Really you need to manage a food theif and make sure there is no food around for him to get hold of. You can set him up to fail by leaving bad tasting things around such as curry paste sandwiches, chilly peppers, bitter apple spray sandwich etc. Dog learns stolen food is nasty! By making him forrage/work for his food it will also tire him more mentally so hopefully he wont be as desperate to steal because your already allowing him to forrage naturally.

If you have a look at the bite inhabittion thread in this area it gives some info about how to stop mouthing. With a guy like yours I would make sure to nip it in the bud ASAP. No bite ever gets a reward. So no touch, no talk, no eye contact. Because to an excitable dog thats all reward even if your shouting at him and shaking him.

When he bites you (presuming its grab and release) the firm and loud I want you to say "OUCH!!!!!!" Make out like hes taken your arm off! Its the worst pain ever! Then walk away from him and slam the door shut behind you. Go back after 2-3 minuets and do what ever you were doing. If he does it again you do the same thing again. If hes being calm and good he gets a treat. It will take a while but this does work with 95% of dogs.

Someone else has mentioned his food and that is important. Try to make sure hes on something that wont add to him being hyper. sensative foods made of chicken and rice or salmon and rice can help with calming dogs down. You can also try some resuce remidies on his tongue every day and I would get a d.a.p spray from the vets. It will help with his seperation issues and if you spray it in your mums house it will make it easier for him to ajust. ( Just keep it well away from the bird)

I would also look into crate training him. Just so he has a safe secure place he can go/ you can put him when you go out.

I know how hard moving back in with your mum is going to be and its really easy to feel hurt and upset because she won't be able/wont understand about the dog but its her house. In situations like this the only thing we can do is make the journy as easy as possible. If your mum doesn't want to help with training then its going to be a really big task for you and you'll need to be in with the dog to make sure hes under control or he'll really mess about for your mum.

Hope the info is helpful

xx

storm came to me as a very hyper dog and my goodness it was hurrendous. We got the dominance sorted, loads of exercise, a good quality diet and not over fed etc.

Heather response is great - I would also recommend that when you are not working you take him on a good walk and i mean a good walk perhaps try and meet up with another husky so that provides extra stimulation.

yesterday - Storm (he'll be 2 in jan) did 1.5 miles pulling on a scooter followed by a 2 x 4 miles hike, oh and a swim in between!!..and i mean a hike. we were with another husky so it was full on pulling!! I was in agony by the end of it!! (he was on a waist belt)...but today he's soooooooooo chilled. I find that if he has this type of exersice a few times a week we have a very happy husky & to be honest he probably will only need a bit of playtime in the garden tomorrow (retrieving a toy etc) rather than a walk. I know you need to be careful cos of his age but it sounds as though he is bored.

I also find going to obediance class is good to keep his mind actice

Have you thought about going to agility?? (they may not allow it til he's a year though??)

I'm sure you can make significant changes to convince your mum

Wow great reply Heather - added to rep :up:

I'm sorry you're having to go through this hun :( It won't be easy but I hope the help you've had so far will help :)

Can't really add anything to what's already been said, other than to say there should be some give and take with your mum, she can't expect him to be perfect 100% of the time, let's face it who is blink.gif I'm sure she will recognise all the hard work and effort that you're putting in with him and she will see a huge improvement with him once you start making the changes x

How about keeping a diary of your training so you can look back and see what worked and what didn't and also log what exercise you do with him and how long you spend training a day - that way you have something to compare it to and also show your mum ?

Good luck hun please keep us posted as to how you're getting on xx

Thankyou so much everyone for all your help and support. Heather, your post was amazing! I have been told by so many people about the theory of dominance and to scruff him, pin him etc , I have also been watching the dog whisperer for months to try and get tips......im wondering now if this is where the problems have come from! What does everyone think of him? Are his ways correct or is it just a scam to make money and attract viewers? :( . Anyway, im now implementing the advice given and thankyou Sarah for the idea of keeping a diary, I think this really may help and never would of thought of it myself! Andy I live near Rhyl....about 30 mins from Chester. Im still trying but think my mum is pretty stuck on her decision so im starting to look into a foster or forever home for him :( . Again I would like to thank everyone for your help. Vicky xxxx