Hypo-Puppy HELP!!!!

:o OMG so Storm has Hypo-puppy moments when he is like a toddler on speed! :blink: He charges round the house jumping up anyone and anything, he nips and scratches, manically chews everything and won't listen to me whatever I do. We just can't calm him down at all, I tried to hold him to calm him down today and he just wriggled and growled at me :o and bit me! Please someone must have gone through this, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and aid me in saving a (very small) piece of my sanity! :huh: We have been told not to put him in his crate but we can't put him anywhere else as he literally throws himself at things and I am worried he will hurt himself. I think some of it may be frustration as he hasn't had his second jab so therefore he can't go for walks yet so he is only allowed in our gardens.

The Zoomies as we call them in this house..

Neo will have them if we are out playing in the garden and he gets excited.. his ears go back, tail between his legs and he runs round and round and if the back door has been left open, straight into the room, up the stairs, bangs into an upstairs door, runs down again and back into the garden..

Usually repeated a couple of times.. and have learnt not to stand in the way :)

laugh.gif

he's just letting off a bit of steam - try having 2 running round doing this bouncing all over you and the furniture blink.gif

I just curl up on the end of the sofa now, open the back door and let them run it off laugh.gif

I wouldn't hold him down though when he's in an excited state of mind like that hun....

Try doing some training with him - mental stimulation works great with them :)

ok thanks guys. Will just step back, hang the kids on hooks on the walls and wait for it to pass! :lol: pmsl.. Seriously though, I will try more training, he already knows sit, lie down and paw. What should I try next??

ok thanks guys. Will just step back' date=' hang the kids on hooks on the walls and wait for it to pass! :lol: pmsl.. Seriously though, I will try more training, he already knows sit, lie down and paw. What should I try next??[/quote']

A good one to try once they know sit... is stay or wait

A great safety command too should you ever need it.. Neo knows to now sit and wait when about to cross a road..

Milla's learned to offer her paw on whichever side I offer my hand. I sometimes say "other paw" if she gets it wrong but she does it correctly about 90% of the time without my saying anything.

You can start teaching him to come when his name is called, too. You and the kids should each have treats. Spread out in the garden and take turns calling him. As soon as he turns toward you tell him to come and give him a treat when he reaches you. (Don't treat him if he comes without calling.) You can play this game for a long time and wear him out with the running back and forth.

Will just step back' date=' hang the kids on hooks on the walls and wait for it to pass! :lol: pmsl..[/quote']

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, just keep clear, you can be knocked right off your feet. We found exercise is key, mental and physical. They have calmed down considerably, and their manic bouts have become less frequent, but when they do start we try and get to the door as quickly as possible and let them out, but it is GREAT to watch - the joy of the chase is so infectious, and if one starts the other is sure to follow, and then chaos reigns :)

You can start teaching him to come when his name is called, too. You and the kids should each have treats. Spread out in the garden and take turns calling him. As soon as he turns toward you tell him to come and give him a treat when he reaches you. (Don't treat him if he comes without calling.) You can play this game for a long time and wear him out with the running back and forth.

Thanks that is an excellent idea, gets the kids involved and exhaust him and the kids at the same time! Genius :D OOOh even better I could get the hubby to do it outside with them then I could have some peace inside on my own!!! :lol: Love it! B)

The tricks are all great ideas. Have tried lead training but he hates it, just rolls over and chews it. If I manage to get him moving it's more me pulling him gently while he chews the lead! :blink: And loving calling it the "zoomies" may have to hijack that word! :D It's nice to know it's normal and it's great to have you guys here for support! Thanks (hugs) :rolleyes: :girl_hug: