Blaze's progress

had a good walk on the way to the feild he was rly well behaved he only pulled a little bit as i think he knew where he was goin and he was quite good when we were there but he was jumpin around and chasin Bingo, Khi n Milo but obv hes allowed do that n he pulled as we were walkin back until khi n milo went in the he walked nicely ALL THE WAY HOME :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

ooh and he sat down when we got to the road aswell lol well eventually lol :)

good work nix! Sounds like your doing really well

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thnx thing is i dnt mind if hes walkin infront ov me at the minute so long as hes walkin nicely once hes walkin nicely all the time thats when ill go to gettin him to walk next 2 me ive been readin ur post aswell sounds like ur doin well to its just sum bloody ppl ent it grrrr like when u crossed the road n they crossed did they not think u had crossed for a reason!? i h8 this when i tell people im training him and can i make him sit b4 u fuss him n they fuss him whilst im tryin 2 get him 2 sit grrrr or they say oh its ok grrr might b for u but i dnt want him jumpin at ppl lol

thnx thing is i dnt mind if hes walkin infront ov me at the minute so long as hes walkin nicely once hes walkin nicely all the time thats when ill go to gettin him to walk next 2 me ive been readin ur post aswell sounds like ur doin well to its just sum bloody ppl ent it grrrr like when u crossed the road n they crossed did they not think u had crossed for a reason!? i h8 this when i tell people im training him and can i make him sit b4 u fuss him n they fuss him whilst im tryin 2 get him 2 sit grrrr or they say oh its ok grrr might b for u but i dnt want him jumpin at ppl lol

nearly same method as me then, Im trying to get them to just walk on a loose leash now and then once they have mastered that and I dont get any problems I can then focus them to walk by my side or behind me.

Some ppl really get on my nerves. You try and explain to them to wait until your dog is sat and being calm before they fuss them and they don't listen! :mad: Ive got so close to screaming at them sometime but I know if I let it get to me then it will affect the boys! It is a real challenge sometimes

i no i had sum1 want to fuss him n i told blaze not 2 jump up n alot ov the time when i say that he will calm down (clever puppy lmao) n he sed oh its ok n he was only a young lad so i cudnt really say well u may think its ok but its not ok soo that annoyed me but theres always 2day which i think is gonna b a challenge as my mum and my 2 lil bros are comin on a walk :S wish me luck :) i think ill need it lol

ok well half part ov our walk he pulled mum was holding him n i told her everytime he pulls give him a lil tug back and say here which didnt rly do anythin he still pulled but after so far into our walk he just walked really nicely :) he was abit bad when he saw another dog he tried 2 pull at it but then he just turned around n carried on walkin :) and he ignored ppl aswell :) so so far so gd :)

Great progress BB!

The other thing I have found really useful with my dogs - especially my beagle who loves EVERYONE and every dog and everything (LOL) - is teaching the look command and reinforcing this on walks.

I use it when we are approaching a distraction - if you need to, call the dog's name to get their attention. I then say "look" (a command my dog already knows) and as soon as she looks at me, I say "yes" and give her a treat. This helps to redirect their attention onto you.

I have also trained Daisy to sit automatically when I stop walking (as part of obedience) and I use this to my advantage, if there is a distraction coming or I want her attention I stop, she sits and then I say "look". Every time she does what I tell her to do I mark it with a "yes" and then a treat (like clicker training). Now as soon as I stop walking, she sits and looks up at me - all without me needing to say a word! This can be really useful and it is really easy to teach.

Great progress BB!

The other thing I have found really useful with my dogs - especially my beagle who loves EVERYONE and every dog and everything (LOL) - is teaching the look command and reinforcing this on walks.

I use it when we are approaching a distraction - if you need to, call the dog's name to get their attention. I then say "look" (a command my dog already knows) and as soon as she looks at me, I say "yes" and give her a treat. This helps to redirect their attention onto you.

I have also trained Daisy to sit automatically when I stop walking (as part of obedience) and I use this to my advantage, if there is a distraction coming or I want her attention I stop, she sits and then I say "look". Every time she does what I tell her to do I mark it with a "yes" and then a treat (like clicker training). Now as soon as I stop walking, she sits and looks up at me - all without me needing to say a word! This can be really useful and it is really easy to teach.

Sounds like something I could do with learning about.

oh wow how did u teach it to her? as that sounds like it would b great for me and sibewolf to learn :)

When we started obedience club, they teach your dog a basic heel pattern that you then use later on in trialling level (if we ever get that far, I think it will be 10 years before Daisy is ready LOL!). Part of this is getting your dog to sit in the heel position every time you stop walking. This is what you call an automatic sit because the goal is that the dog will do it automatically when you stop walking, without needing any command to do so. It sounds tricky but it is really easy to teach!! This is best practiced first at home - you walk with your dog in the heel position (so by your left side) and every time you stop command him to sit (this works best if you have a treat in your hand to lure him). Practice this over and over, and eventually you will find that when you stop walking the dog will sit without you commanding him to do so.

Once they have an automatic sit it is also helpful to teach them that as soon as their butt hits the ground, they have to look you in the eye and be focused on you before getting the treat. Eventually you will have a dog that not only sits automatically but looks up at you automatically too.

If you like, I can upload a video tomorrow of Daisy doing some heel work and you can see what I mean :D

And also - when teaching loose leash walking I found the martingales really helpful if you need them (exactly like the one BB posted the link to). I make sure I adjusted them so they sat high on the dog's neck, just behind their ears. I still use them today because my Sibe can slip out of any flat collar - not sure if you guys have ever found that to be a problem!

hey if you could upload a vid that wud b awesome :) thnx and not had any problem with his slipping his collar so far and am gonna try and not to use any tools apart frm treats and praise as hes still only a pup so unless he gets really bad i will either try a gentle leader or a martingale thnx smeagle for ALL ov ur help :) u have no idea how much i appreciate it :)

Micha loves agility!! He's a natural. I wish I had known more about it when I first got him, he's a bit too old to get into it competitively now he will be 7 this year.

Anyway I found the old video of Daisy when she was first learning the automatic sit, I uploaded it to youtube so you guys could get the general idea:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ_V3qYF1j8[/ame]