Help! Before my Laptop Goes out the Window

Sparks

Right Last week sometime my laptop had a blue screen some thing like this ( not the exact one)

windows-7-bsod.jpg

so now i have backed all my documents up, i took all my university work off so i now have around 68Gb of storage free. So i wanted to Duel boot my laptop just so that if anything does wrong i can still enter my laptop. so here come the problem.......

to duel boot i know i have to shrink my partition, as i have done this before. But when i try to do it this time i doesnt work as i waould expect, as i said i have around 68GB storage free. but when i try to shrink my partition it will only let me reduce it but around 6GB, i have dont a harddrive defrag and this is now 0%.

here is the pic of me trying to shrink my harddrive-

34115166.jpg

Any ideas how i could fix this peeps ??????????????

Thanks marc

The problem you have is not that hard to sort and because am here on laptop I'll leave it to Marc but can I have a stab at the reason you got the blue screen in the 1st place ?

Do you download ?

Do you use utorrent ?

Does it crash after you have started a download ?

If yes to the above you dont need to do anything :)

The problem you have is not that hard to sort and because am here on laptop I'll leave it to Marc but can I have a stab at the reason you got the blue screen in the 1st place ?

Do you download ?

Do you use utorrent ?

Does it crash after you have started a download ?

If yes to the above you dont need to do anything :)

i do download but not much, and no it dont crash if i start a download

what OS are you running? all versions of windows have defrag you just need to find it. usually right click on hard disk in windows explorer and choose tools

it might not be able to make the partition smaller because there are unmovable files in the way, can you do it in safe mode? i dont remember and im to lazy to look lol

a crash can happen at anytime and for no apparent reason, if it has only happened once i would not be 2 concerned. however if it starts to become a regular occurrence then it might be time for a new laptop

also to dual boot you need the earlier OS installed first.

also worth noting that if you are running xp dont bother putting on a newer OS to dual boot as it wont necessarily speed it up, but if you have vista then an upgrade to 7 will make a difference

i got windows 7 32bit, was going to duel boot with windows 7 64 buit, it has only happened once yes

not sure if you are able to do it in safe mode maybe worth a try........

i have done a defrag on it and it is now at 0% fragmented so i cant see why it not working

the laptop came with 32bit windows? does it have a 64bit processor?

64bit can be slower than 32bit. i noticed on 2 pcs one a dual core one a quad core the systems where slower on 64bit

i would reboot your laptop and try a defrag again, it could be an open program preventing defrag from running properly.

Laptop blue screens 9 times out of every 10 are cause by overheating. Ur a handy guy Marc, I would suggest giving it a good clean out. Will warn u though that they are a bit of a pest to pull to pieces etc..

As for the Harddrive issue I can tell you almost certainly what this will be .... Have a look at windows backup. The backups do not show as used space and therefore get a little confusing when trying to shrink partitions. You need to go into the backup manager and delete the backups from there. Once you have done that you will find that you can shrink as you have been trying to do.

Try these links out, they may be of use.

How to shrink a partition

Dual booting win7 32 & 64 bit

Thanks for that but i have no problem of how to do it, but it just wont let me, i havnt used the command prompt method before, but i cant see there being much difference and i have 77GB free now and it will only let me shrink 6GB

I have only ever dual booted windows with linux. On each occassion windows has been installed first and Linux did everything for me. Does windows not have the same option in the install menus? I am sure you can partition off etc when installing.

You wouldn't have to try and shrink your partition from within windows then.

You removed the backup setup, but did you remove the actual backups?

ohhh ummm, im not sure where it is located, i have never actually had a backup setup, as i have never backed it up like that, i just back up all my documents using a Batch file.

Thanks for that rob :up: , but i cant get it to work :( so im just going to leave it, it has only Blue Screened once so hopefully it wont do it again. if it does do it again then i will have to sort it then.......

its not a huge issue i suppose i can still use my laptop how i want to, just not duel boot, so i can live with that :D