Don't judge a dog by it's breed ;)

Hi guys

Just have a training brag from the weekend I have to share. Daisy had her first obedience trial on Sunday although it was a trainee judge so the points sadly don't count towards her obedience title. It was very last minute and we were rushed to get there as we only found out about it a few hours before, and then we were stuffed around a bit before we went in the ring and had to wait almost two hours for our run.

At the last minute our club President called me over and asked if I would mind running Daisy in a Novice which is a class higher than the one we have been training to compete in, as they were a dog short in their ring. I know Daisy can do it but we've never trained under proper trial conditions before and Novice has an extra exercise in it we've never trained formally.

I said yes anyway but didn't realise a group of judges who were standing outside ring told the club President not to bother bringing my dog over because they only wanted good dogs for the trainee judge to judge. Being the breed she is no one expects you to be any good and the breed is rarely ever seen in the obedience ring.

Well we blew them away and they had to pick their jaws up off the ground ;) They couldn't believe how good she was and thought she was brilliant and kept saying they wanted her to judge in their ring one day. Daisy smashed every exercise and had it been a real trial would have scored very highly and would have placed first or second in the ring. I got so many amazing positive comments afterward but the best part was changing peoples perspective on the breed :D

Anyway here is the video for anyone who would like to watch, I was very proud of my little beag :) :) We've got our first "real" trial (where the points will count) in two weeks so hopefully she will work just as well if not better then too!

9GWV53bt2Ag

ETA: For anyone who is not familiar with competition obedience, when you go in the ring you cannot have food or toys on you or close to the ring, you cannot speak to your dog unless instructed by the judge to give a command and you aren't supposed to look at the dog either (I lost points on our figure of eight because I glanced at Daisy when she got caught up).

That was fantastic!!!!

Having passed intermediate obedience with Skye and Sasha, I can now see where my trainers were heading...

They did ask if I was going to carry on with the advanced class, and I can go back, but I'm not sure I am capable enough, also the classes were so late in the evening, I had my kid's to think about, and my time on here wink.gif

I have just started the beginners class with Lupa...but I think I've got my work cut out there....She is so naughty!!!laugh.gif

Well done Daisy (and you too Bec)

Bec you are simply amazing. Not to take anything from Daisy, because she is quite amazing herself. Great video. Thanks for posting.

Wow thanks for all the wonderful comments everyone! :) :) my number one goal was to have a dog who loves to work and I think you can tell Daisy really enjoys training :)

WOW thats some good trainin..... congrats

would any of us b able 2 do that wit our Huskies ?????????

Absolutely! I actually find my Siberian easier to train than my beagle. Unfortunately he's almost eight years old now so we just train for fun, I wish I had started him off in obedience from puppy hood because he would have made the best dog sports dog - I think he would have done really well at agility as well as obedience.

I will definitely be getting another Siberian one day (though not when I still have Micha - one dog that sheds that much hair is enough for me LOL!) and I will train him/her in competition obedience just to prove it can be done and done well, which was what I wanted to do with Daisy. I hear too many people say Beagles can't do it, but I wanted to prove they could do it as well as any other breed!

ETA: There are some Siberians competing in obedience and other dog sports here in Australia, just not very many.

i tried training embry like that. his attention span is way to short.

What I do with Daisy has taken a long time to train!

We've done a solid 12 months of very specific training to get to where we are now. Being a scent hound who has a VERY strong instinct to scent, I used to be able to shove steak under Daisy's nose if she was scenting and she wouldn't even notice it. It's been a long and involved process to get more than a few seconds of focus from her.