New

Hello I'm new to owning a Husky. I had a lab for many years. I just got Lady over the weekend. she is still getting use to everything I'm sure. I do have a couple questions though. When we got her she came from a shelter. They said they think there may have been some abuse. I really don't know she is 7 months old. she is great one minute and the next she is showing her teeth and trying to snap. The shelter said this should stop soon she is trying to get use to everything. there are so many sites out there you don't know who to listen to. I really love her she stole my heart when I saw her. but I don't know what to do about the showing of the teeth and snaping. that's the only concern at this moment. she is a lover one minute and the next she is growling. is there something more I should look for? someone has even brought up putting her on meds? I don't think she needs them but I have growled back at her. because someone else said that is showing the alpha stauts is this true? she was fine after that she loves playing and even handles kids ok. but like I said it's almost like Dr. jeckle and Mr. Hide Thank You in advance for your help and THANK YOU for this site it has already answered a lot of questions for me so thank you.

You dont wanna be growling at her, what your doing is challenging her.... what happens if she decides one tme to take you up on that challenge? Or children in you family see you doing it and then repeat it, Lady will know she is stronger than them and that she can win, so will be more inclined to take them up on it.

Rather than do that try diverting her attention, keep a toy she likes in your pocket and when she starts growling whip it out and initiate a play, once she is back to normal lots of praise and some treats.

Look for what starts it off, is it when you raise your hand (to touch your hair, reach something etc), is it fast movements? She wont just be growling for no reason, there will be a reason there, you just need to look closely.

Dont display any challenging behaviour around her, dont stand over her, face her front on, stare her in the eyes, go to stroke the top of her head etc.

Bec should be on at some point, she'll be a better help than me :)

Welcome to the Pack! I think Sid's post is great info. (Rep added.) Give her some time. She's still getting acclamated. But like Sid says, don't challenge her. Kudos for giving her a furever home. Pics when you get a chance.

hi and welcome to the pack sid as given you some great advice, please dont growl back at her. when i got my girl from rehome she was 2 years 6 month old, if we touched her back near her tail she would snap at us, we ignored her but we started to brush her alot and getting her used to being touched there she's great now. i think she's been hit.

so yes finding out the cause of the reaction then you will fine the solution, but don't challenge as said divert to some thing she enjoys a toy a treat good luck and keep us informed please xxxx

Hiya :)

welcome to the site....hope you get the growling and snapping sorted out soon hun- sorry im not much help, shiloh is my first husky and is still a pup so im learning all the time....im sure someone will have the answers for you though

looking forward to seeing some pics of Lady :)

x x