ANNOUNCE - Donation features

Marc

Donation features

Hi All,

You'll have noticed that I have added a donation button to the forum on the right hand side. Been thinking about this and thought I would like to give donating members a little something back in return and so I have added a new usergroup for donators. Donators will now recieve the following.

Donating members will be upgraded to a premium account, which in honesty doesnt give much, but just thought it would be nice to give something back. You will recieve the tag as below

donator.gif

Username will change color to match the tag above

Also you will recieve the following extras in forum permissions:-

Your PM box limit will be increased from 50 max to 100 max

Your image allowance in your albums will be increased from 100 max to 500 max

You will be allowed 10 social groups rather than 5, you will also have access to all private and invite only social groups. In addition you will be able to specify that only yourself can create topics in your social group should you wish to use this feature.

Your profile picture size limit will increase from the current '100 x 100' to '200 x 200'

I will of course add things to this list in the future, but this is the list of extras for now

Hey dont worry about it LOL .. Its purely a volutary thing not a requirement LOL

Anyways, have slightly changed the above. It will now change you to show as premium member. This has been done purely as I dont want people to feel they have to donate as thats simply not the case at all. The site will continue to run in any case, free of charge as always. I wont be creating any hidden areas for premium members etc as people will not be paying for things on here. We started as a free forum and thats the way we'll always stay :)

@Richard, its on the sidebar on the right ya blind git LOL

Wow - just out of interest I had a look at the vBulletin home page and couldn't believe how expensive they were - no wonder you are looking for donations!!!:confused:

I run two Sibe fora and they are both 100% free. I think I'll stick with my provider:D:D

Mick

If your looking for a good free alternative, have a look at this one

http://www.simplemachines.org/

Yeah vbulletin is expensive, but we wanted the best site, so we got the best software. The forum is already paid for now, so any donation would be used more for hosting an additions that we could purchase such as the blogging software for it etc. End of the day, donation is not something we are 'looking' for as you put it. Its more a case of if we get some then we can put it to the forums good use and maybe even it turn donate some to the shelters.

I'll be working on my donation as well. I've never been good at math, so have to figure out the currency exchange and set up a Paypal account....then you'll see my donation roll in. As you noticed with the pics, I have a hard time with new things so be patient!

Thanks again for creating a great place for us to be!

As I mentioned in the other thread it could be fun making a Husky Owner's calendar with pictures of member's dogs :) If you do it via a site like redbubble, you can chose how much mark up you put on them - we did ours for the cost price of $20 (australian) but some calendars on the site are sold with a mark up of four or five dollars. It could be a fun way to raise some funds :)

No worries guys... just thought to clarify, it is free to join sites like RedBubble and upload calendars. They are made to order so there is no cost involved apart from the purchase price.

I did quite a few for another forum I am on, we ran a competition for various breed groups and voted on the top 12 pics for each group. The quality of the calendars is great - the specifics for photo size are quite stringent, as it won't allow you to upload poor quality photos or photos under a certain raw size. But it's worth it for how nice they look! I have a few at home.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/dolutilitygroup/calendars/2110416-20-2009-dol-utility-dogs

ETA: Sites like cafe press are also good for making merchandise (shirts, cups etc) with the site address and a slogan on it.

Something I've never looked into much to be honest until you mentioned it .. Cheers for that will take a look

No worries, just thought it might be a bit more interesting than just plain donations, as you might get people who wouldn't donate normally buying site stuff (calendars etc) with the proceeds still going towards the site.