Dr Henry Edward Roberts Dies

Marc

Dr Henry Edward Roberts died today at the age of 68 ....

Now I can see some of you sat there thinkin to yourself "who the hells he?" ..... Well without him, none of us would be sat here talking to each other, or at least not in the same way.

Dr Henry Edward Roberts was the inventor of the Altair 8800 which was the computer that kicked off home computing. He gave a "small contract" to 2 guys running a tiny little company to write some software to run on it to make it a little more user friendly, which he called a variant of BASIC. Those 2 guys were called Bill Gates and Paul Allen, and the company at the time Micro-Soft (later renamed to Microsoft).

Dr Henry Edward Roberts died today at the age of 68 ....

Now I can see some of you sat there thinkin to yourself "who the hells he?" ..... Well without him, none of us would be sat here talking to each other, or at least not in the same way.

Dr Henry Edward Roberts was the inventor of the Altair 8800 which was the computer that kicked off home computing. He gave a "small contract" to 2 guys running a tiny little company to write some software to run on it to make it a little more user friendly, which he called a variant of BASIC. Those 2 guys were called Bill Gates and Paul Allen, and the company at the time Micro-Soft (later renamed to Microsoft).

RIP Dr. Roberts. . . sad.gif

The first machine I got my hands on was a Research Machines 380Z it had a MASSIVE 16kb of memory and yeah we had to learn, Beginners All (purpose) Symbolic Instruction Code. . . .

Ah, good times. . .

rip dr

first comp i can remember having was the comodore 64 blink.gif

Ahh, way ahead of you there I had a VIC 20.

And stayed with commodore all the way to the Amiga 1200

Now that had a sweet operating system. . .

See all the best people had commodores. . .then were forced by the overwhelming pressure to conform to adopt bloody Micwosoft overbloat.

and don't get me started about apple, and their closed systems. . .

sigh. . .

Sorry . . .Rant over.