Changing dog food flavors?

Hello! I have been feeding Rea  Rachel Ray's high protein Peak series. I usually stick with the beef venison and lamb flavor, but considering keeping the same brand and just switching flavors to keep things fresh since she seems to be bored with it. 

Is switching flavors a good idea or should I keep it the same all the time? 

What do you guys feed your dogs? :)

(bonus pic of Rea at the beach from the weekend) 

IMG_20180603_175613_369.jpg

I feed half human-grade meat/fish/egg/liver and half dry food, plus some veggies. I don't change the fish-based dry food because Mayo loves the flavour, but I do vary the fresh meat and do different combinations. I think as long as the food is complete and balanced, in the end it's really up to you. Your husky won't starve herself once she realises that's the only food available.

I have a vet nurse friend who feeds her two dogs (not huskies) the same dry food exclusively. They still come running up to her each time.

Oh my gosh your dogs name is mayo? That's so cute! :)

I bet it's really good for your dog to eat so many fresh foods. Thanks for the advice though, I may consider keeping her with the same stuff since she has had previous allergies

My male pup is very sensitive . LOL 

If I notice he is disinterested in his food, I just add boiled chicken. So he still has the same dry but I mix it up.

I also will add  yogurt 2x a week. Pumpkin when he gets the runs (which is all the time). 

I am thinking of adding cocked salmon.

I feed raw  -  usually two meat and one fish daily  -  Lunar will eat anything & everything now - but husky Marley will turn his nose up if he gets the same meal two days running.    Lunar had the runs for the first three years of his life - until I finally managed to get him onto a completely raw diet.    Marley has never known anything else but raw food since I got him at 12 weeks old (he was on a kibble of some sort) - therefore he can be very picky with food other dogs would kill for.   Yesterday was sirloin, pork chunks and salmon, today will be  lamb chops & pork chunks with an offal mix, they will also have a raw egg each.  This meal gives the dogs at least two sources of every single vitamin & mineral there is.  They also get either kefir milk or kefir cheese with the meal  (By the way - I've been veggie for around 40 years and am allergic to fish - hubby is also veggie).

P1020006.thumb.JPG.61ec60d3ffbfa4769e6f63b01770db22.JPGP1020007.thumb.JPG.7a9454e1c5196436abe0b4540cba3563.JPGP1020008.thumb.JPG.bed5bc02438fdc70b80d2a6f1b70be93.JPG I cut the excess fat off the meat before feeding it to them.   I give them coconut oil instead.

When Marley is being particularly picky with his food I find that adding a tin of mashed up sardines to the meal usually works a treat  -  particularly if it is a mince beef day (he is not overly fond of mince). 

They usually have lamb's ribs as a treat - being the bone portion of their diet  -  but the butcher did not have any when I went last week and so I got venison ribs instead  -   Lunar loves them but Marley is not so keen and will often leave it for an hour or so  (although he guards it against a stealthy approach from Lunar).

I am all for mixing the food up - ringing the changes.

As above, I also feed raw, Luka blue never turns his nose up at whatever he’s fed but Cai isn’t that keen on beef mince and he likes variety. Fish is a favourite of both, lamb ribs, beef bones, offal, lamb mince etc, I also give them a dry mixer on top, nature’s menu. Sweet potato and white fish is a particular favourite and it’s the only food that Cai never refuses.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I regulary change flavours from mine  I feed holistic pressed pellets...beef,beef with salmon oil or mutton flavour

and do not have any problems...

Wolfpup- that looks so good. LOL

I looked into raw. Made my head hurt!

Seems like all the good companies are in the UK or some place that does not deliver to the US. 

Some of the companies here are outrageously priced or I have concerns about quality. 

I am still doing research. I feel it is a great way to go. Even though the vets are very against it.

2 hours ago, Rea_the_husky said:

I will definitley have to look up some stuff about feeding raw :0

Is it expensive?

It costs me around £60 a month to feed a husky and a Utonagan (bigger)  i.e.  around £1 a day each dog. 

I am happy to pass on anything I can and have a spreadsheet with all of the different vitamins & minerals  -  and which meats contains which  -  which takes the headache of ensuring you do not miss a vitamin or mineral.    This is the main worry people have when starting out   - but you only need to even it out over time  (say a week)

If you or anyone is interested just send me an email.

2 hours ago, 2Huskyfun said:

Wolfpup- that looks so good. LOL

I looked into raw. Made my head hurt!

Seems like all the good companies are in the UK or some place that does not deliver to the US. 

Some of the companies here are outrageously priced or I have concerns about quality. 

I am still doing research. I feel it is a great way to go. Even though the vets are very against it.

I am lucky in that both of the vets where I go also feed raw.

I tried to change Olaf's dry food once and he didn't seem to care for it.  He's used to eating a chicken flavor grain-free kibble, and I tried salmon flavor.  So, I am just sticking with the Annamaet Salcha that he's used to. That's what he was getting in foster care. He much prefers human food though, so I sometimes cook an egg for him, or give him some low sodium american cheese. If I am browning ground beef for a recipe, I will sometimes give him some of that, too (no seasoning.)  But he seems satisfied with his usual most of the time.

Kim

When mine were younger I kept to the same thing as Ice was incredibly sensitive, even the slightest change like a bit of carrot would upset his tummy a bit.

Now that he’s older, he’s gotten a lot better and we do switch between flavours without an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thanks everyone for all the advice :) i think I am gonna see how a different flavor goes. For some reason, the only kibble I have been able to feed her is the rachel ray for some reason.... all of the other food I previously gave her seemed to spark some sort of allergies.  Even some of the better brands.. 

I want to look into starting a raw diet for her. It may be for the best :)

I use Taste of the Wild and sometimes change the flavors, and don't have to introduce it slowly.  But lately I have been on the same flavor for awhile and they don't seem to mind

@Rea_the_husky ~ I feed mine Purina One Smart Choice dry food. I actually still have mine eating "puppy" food because they are extremely active (a 1-yr old and 2-yr old) and need the extra protein & carbs. I switch around the different flavors as well and they love it!!
I'm not a raw feeder at all...just not for me. They get some carrots, veggies, cheese or yogurt, etc., for yummy treats.
Beautiful photo of REA!!
[emoji252][emoji252][emoji252] WELCOME ABOARD [emoji252][emoji252][emoji252]
[emoji847][emoji191][emoji295]️

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived