Prey drive and cats

Zoej

Hi everyone. Things are going well with our little bundle of joy except one thing. You guessed it, he’s chasing my 2 younger cats. He actually had Henry pinned down and it scared me. Olive he hadn’t had much success with as she hisses and goes into attack mode while retreating up high on the cat tree. Our oldest cat Jack is 9 and just swats him hard in the head and doesn’t even move. Casey doesn’t seem to bother to much with Jack. I’m worried about my other 2 and the possibility of him killing them. Wondering if we should redone the young ones even though it will kill me to do so but thinking of safety first. BTW Casey is 3 months old. 

Huskies have a high prey drive and cats can be fair game.

If there are areas they can go both high and low and ideally rooms of the house that the pup can’t access but the cats can, then that can help give them somewhere peaceful to retreat to if they need it.

But it should be said that you can’t trust a husky with cats. If the prey drive kicks in, things could end unpleasantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I have child gates at the top of the stairs and at my husbands office  -  both gates have one bar cut out - this allows the cats to run through at speed if necessary but the husky can not get through.   During the day the cats have upstairs and the dogs downstairs.   At night the dogs come upstairs but the cats sleep on our bed (or under it) and the dogs know better than to try anything at night when we are in bed.   During the evening the cats come downstairs and watch tv with me  -  and again the dogs usually leave them alone - they know I am watching.

I trust Marley not to kill them - he is 2 1/2 now - he is still just wanting to play with them  -  but I take all precautions that I can.

Archived