Huskies + Cats

ShyLoh

What is everyones opinions on raising husky puppies with cats? Who has a husky and a cat? I just thought I would see everyones opinions as I know a lot of people think they don't mix, and others will say otherwise. 

My two husky mixes (half siberian husky, half scotch collie) are perfect with our 3 cats, despite the breeder warning me to keep them away from cats (they have not killed or injured cats or other animals before, just the breeder thinking of their prey drive). My male just ignores the cats, lets the cats love on him, and he will occasionally get in-between two of the cats if they are playing and he will whine. My female is exceptional with the cats, she loves one of them as they will sleep together, she will play with him, nib him, and the cat will follow her around. She is perfect with strange cats, small dogs and other small animals (even met a baby duck before) with no issues whatsoever. 

I am wanting to eventually get a purebred husky puppy in the near-ish future and don't see any problems with breed-related issues for cats. I think it all just depend on the individual dog. If they are raised with cats from puppies, I don't see a reason it wouldn't work out. Not to say all husky puppies will be great, there may be some that just don't like cats or other small animals. 

What is everyone elses opinions on the subject? 

thumbnail_photo.jpg

I personally would never risk have cats around a husky. It's a bit like having a husky off-lead in an unenclosed area; it takes just that one mistake...

But then I also never thought about getting cats for pets, so it's easy for me.

As Rob said, Amy thinks anything thats not a dog is fair game to be chased and who knows what if she caught it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Well my chief concern when I got Luna was my cats. Both have lived with my previous dogs with the same result, the Maine Coone, initially wary has gradually accepted Luna and overcome her instinct to run, she now co-exists quite happily, Luna seems to understand that the cat is not to be chased. She sniffs her and nudges her but no more. They don’t snuggle up together but there’s no animosity. Kipling, the Bengal, is as he was with our collie, suspicious, wary and avoided Luna like the plague, it didn’t help when I was introducing them and he decided he’d “surrender” and Luna decided she’d grab him. She didn’t do him any harm but it set the meet and greet back quite a lot! Since then they are both developing a sort of truce, Kipling is around more, will stay in our lounge and she just ignores him even when he vocalises which Is quite often. When we're out and she sees a cat, she’s still geared for chase mode. So, I think with some cats and some huskies it’s possible. Luna has had a fair number of treats when in the presence of the cats so perhaps that helped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They can be good for years then one day decide they're fair game , I personally wouldn't risk it , my girl has caught a cat once I was lucky she listened to me n dropped it , the cat was ok but if she hadn't of listened to me who knows :/

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

I have 2 big ginger cats, when I got my Loki I got him from a breeder who had bring him up around cats and children so he is very loving towards them, he did try to chase them a bit but the cats learnt quickly to stand there ground rather than run away and he learnt the cats are boss lol, the cats on the other hand were not a fan of his, he defo thinks they are part of his pack and gets so excited when they decide to be around him, I have a gate on the stairs so the cats tend to sleep upstairs and Loki down so life is peaceful but I have to be watching all the time when cats come down, I worry for the dogs safety over the cats they are very big males who I reckon could take an eye out, anyway my household lives peacefully just allowing the cats to choose when they are around Loki and when he gets a bit to bouncy can go off with out him chasing them works well for us, i definitely wouldn’t have bring an adult husky into a cat environment but as he was a puppy it’s all he has ever known

I have a husky and a utonagan  (husky/Mal)  - I also have two cats.   the Ute is 12 and the husky 2  -   the cats are both 12.   So far everything is ok  -  but I am constantly watching out for the cats.   There are child gates at the top of the stairs and to hubby's office  - both with a bar cut out so the cats can get through at speed if necessary but the dogs cannot get through.  During the day the cats stay upstairs but come down in the evening and are on the sofa.    One of the cats will rub up against Marley's face and he will lick (kiss) the cat.  However he will also chase them when he is feeling playful.

Its an uneasy alliance  -  I dont think he would do anything  -  but I never let my guard down

I have four cats and seven huskies they seem to be doing fine no real issues. 🤗 In fact Siku yesterday gave Cinnie a hug [emoji177][emoji178] They need supervised but if you have the kitten first and it's one that stands up for itself it shouldn't be a problem. Cinnie will hit The huskies on the head if the do something she doesn't approve of like get to close to her face with their nose lol Make the cats safe spaces for example my bed is to talk for my huskies to get on but my cats can jump up on it with no problems [emoji177]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

My next door neighbour has 2 cats and the one is on her 3rd litter of kittens, she leaves them out at night and the constant mewing drives my 2 insane, they won’t settle and they pace up and down. I’ve had to higher the garden fence and put wire fencing on top of it and the cat sits there winding them up! I wouldn’t trust either of them around a cat, they react to them the same way they do when they see a squirrel, a mouse a sheep.....

15 hours ago, robke said:

Mine would have a serious problem with cats and that is just from seeing them when on their walk and they see a cat...

Yes! There's a cat that likes to hide in bushes in part of our walk. Mine always finds it and would probably have killed it if I let her.

Interesting to see everyones experiences! Out of our 3 cats, one is scared of the dogs, she hides a lot, but if she is caught off guard by a dog, she will bat them and stand her ground. My two don't care much about her. The second is the black cat in the picture. He loves Shiloh and Keeno, and pretty much all dogs. The third is a crusty old cat and all our dogs are scared of her because she will bite and bat at them if they go near her. Our basement door is always open for the cats to go down and have a "safe spot", as our dogs will not go down there. They also have there cat houses/perches where the dogs can't reach. My dogs also sleep in my room with the door closed at night and the cats out in the rest of the house. 

We have never had a problem with a cat getting hurt by our dogs. Never say never, but so far so good. Our dogs and cats are never left along together though. If we go somewhere the dogs either get locked up or put out in their dog run.

Archived