Hi we have a 10 month old husky called Hunter, not sure if he is part malamute too as he is so big and has many of both characteristics. We would l9ve to find some places near where we live where he will be safe off the lead or if anyone does sledging or mushing in the Midlands as he loves being out. Would love to make friends with other like minded husky owners.2c266143b66c9ae6bddce4f9d1c516f0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Husky Owners mobile app

Ahhh nice. Sheep r my problem at the minute he keeps trying to get at them and they r in all his favourite walks. Do u ever let urs off the lead? What about sledding u ever thought about it?

My local park as long as no human wants to use them lets husky owners use the basket ball and tennis courts for off leash runs, Thankfully the dog owners who use them clean up after themselves.  You may also want to look around as some city's have a dog play group runs where you can let him off leash and play with tunnels seesaws etc. Also look into getting a  Long Line 25 or 50 meter lead check a horse riding store or the online robinsons. or the Indi dog pae addvert here as a member yu can get a discount off thier stuff that is made to order

My local park as long as no human wants to use them lets husky owners use the basket ball and tennis courts for off leash runs, Thankfully the dog owners who use them clean up after themselves.  You may also want to look around as some city's have a dog play group runs where you can let him off leash and play with tunnels seesaws etc. Also look into getting a  Long Line 25 or 50 meter lead check a horse riding store or the online robinsons. or the Indi dog pae addvert here as a member yu can get a discount off thier stuff that is made to order

Hi,
Thanks I've got a 10 meter lead which his getting used to. Good idea about the tennis courts I need 2 find out if my local park will let me do that. His ok off the lead when his with my friends dogs as long as there's no sheep it's just the older he is getting the daughter he gets, I'm sure he has selective deafness [emoji23].
I've been looking into doggy day cares but not many around mine. Would rather get sledding if I could!

word of addvice

NEVER trust a husky off lead.

I hate to say this but huskys and malamutes have a high prey drive and they are known for escaping and running off. they are also known for killing cats sheep small dogs etc. there is a very informative post about  this behaviour on the forum some where. basicly you have like 12,000 years of breeding etc and you  are not going to over rule those bred in traits with training

only safe place to let a husky off needs 6 or 7 foot fences or solid walls at all other times they must be on a lead of some type, also check the leads are strong enough think of a dog running full speed, I have seen sheps rip so called safe strong dog leads apart when they hit the end going full tilt I have one but i do not tust a halti flex lead

word of addvice
NEVER trust a husky off lead.
I hate to say this but huskys and malamutes have a high prey drive and they are known for escaping and running off. they are also known for killing cats sheep small dogs etc. there is a very informative post about  this behaviour on the forum some where. basicly you have like 12,000 years of breeding etc and you  are not going to over rule those bred in traits with training
only safe place to let a husky off needs 6 or 7 foot fences or solid walls at all other times they must be on a lead of some type, also check the leads are strong enough think of a dog running full speed, I have seen sheps rip so called safe strong dog leads apart when they hit the end going full tilt I have one but i do not tust a halti flex lead

This the thread you were after Paul? It's a sticky in main chat...

Letting Huskies Off Lead

http://www.husky-owners.com/forum/index.php?/topic/71062-Letting-Huskies-Off-Lead

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I never let Amy off unless secure fencing all around, she'd be gone!!! We have a 60ft line for freedom which can be a hassle but so worth it! I have thought about bikejoring but seen some videos and it looks VERY fast [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I've not met any of these people where I love. Every husky owner I've stopped and talked to has let their huskies off and look at me as if to say i should let hunter off. There are a couple of plan as near me he can run and not come across anything but now puberty has hit it's not worth it. Problem I had today was he managed to get out of his harness which he has never done before. I love how clever he is but his such a nightmare at the same time!!!

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I've not met any of these people where I love. Every husky owner I've stopped and talked to has let their huskies off and look at me as if to say i should let hunter off. There are a couple of plan as near me he can run and not come across anything but now puberty has hit it's not worth it. Problem I had today was he managed to get out of his harness which he has never done before. I love how clever he is but his such a nightmare at the same time!!!

Please read the thread that Emma has posted. You shouldn't just copy what other people do or listen to what other people have to say! I've had to snap at a few dog walkers now who always go on at me for not letting my dogs off lead. It's not worth the risk at all

Also my dogs dad was shot by a farmer for attacking sheep. You could have a dead dog and a fine on your hands if that ever happens! Farmers have every right to shoot a dog, even if they are just worrying livestock

you can also get for safety a short strap witha hook at each end to clip between collar and harness so if they do start to slip out they are still attached to the collar

f97be89e14fc5045f0be44956ef74410.jpg
This is Amys set up, the little red strap from indi dog clips to harness and collar, a godsend as she has slipped her harness a couple of times!
I'm looking into ordering a houdini harness from indi dog, and she can customise it for you, I want a handle on top which is great if you need to get hold of them, and an extra ring on the front for more control she will also stitch in a safety stap too!

Archived