How much exercise do you give your huskies each day?

skysky69

bit tricky with merlin as he cant exercise at the moment but had planned the following and when the pups get to a year will start with:

work days in winter

2.5 hours split into three walks (currently doing 1.5 hours) middle walk is off lead as its light

Work days summer

3 hours split into 3 walks and they will be off lead for the girls

days off it can be anything. Generally at least 2-3 hours split but sometimes take them out for the day to the beach or hill walking

Mine's 2 years old and gets 3 walks per day on his lead, totaling anywhere from 4 to 6 miles for the day, sometimes about least 3 miles of that is w/me jogging. He also gets off-lead running time for about an hour (or until he tires himself out, whichever comes first) at the dog park 1 to 2 x per week (on those days he gets that in place of his 3rd walk).

EDITED TO ADD: On any day that he doesn't get his walks (pouring rain is about the only time), he's an absolute monster!

My girl is 7months old so trying my best not to OVER exercise her as shes still growing (Really keen to start scootering with her tho!)

She generally gets two 45min-1hr walks, once in the morning and once in the evening whatever the weather and then maybe abit more than that at the weekend (she'll come with me to pets at home etc).

Hoping to build on this like I say and maybe start to jog with her before we start to scooter, although I dont jog very often so need to build up my fitness levels aswell! LOL! biggrin.gif

I have no set walks for Grey, he might get one long walk where he is let of the lead in a closed field and a very short walk just befor bed, or 2-3 short walks around the block during the day, and then there is the weekend when he is out all day long with us while we do shopping or have a day out.....

Alot depends on what shift im on at work.....

In the peak of training we do 6-9 miles 4-5 times a week. Usually Monday, Tuesday, rest Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, rest Sunday. Right now though we go out for 4-5 miles whenever the trail is good enough to run the sled and the rest of the days each dog gets about 15mins chasing the flirt pole (a dog toy) plus playing with each other in the backyard.

In the summer time, they exercise on the same days but instead of sled pulling its hiking or walking down town for distraction training.

On days i work they come with me, so that's a solid 5-6 hours of running, wrestling, and chewing each other. When i'm off we usually pop into a dog park for 2-3 hours a day. Sundays are long days at work. They're with me for 12 hours. Besides that they always get an AM and a PM walk. They have me trained :rolleyes:

i'm a student so someday we do a couple of short walks and then play in the house. I take him to the dog park around 4 to 5 times a week. haven't gone in a while because its way to cold. and i also take him to daycare 2 days a week. my pup is going to eventually be my running partner because i'm a runner but vet said i have to wait until he's 1 years of age. : D

my boys get an hour every morning monday to friday and 45 mins at night, then it varies at weekend, could be out say on a saturday afternoon for a couple of hours or we go and visit friends / family and take them with us - variety is the spice of life :)