Site Upgrade To Come

Marc

Hi All,

Some of you will already know about this if you are site sponsors, but time to let everyone else in on it now :) There will soon be a site upgrade coming along to the site. There has been little updating on the site for a good while now, the site has become somewhat quieter of late, but all of this is about to change.

No idea what you are talking about. What is it?

At present we are using the 3.4 series of invisions IP.Board along with other applications. Earlier this year there was a new version released of this software which is a large upgrade (in fact it is a complete rewrite from the ground up). I will be upgrading us to this version which will give us more flexability over what can be done on the site and means I can start moving toward giving some new features.

What am I going to see? Is it a big change?

The answer to this is yes, most certainly. However you should find that things are familiar due to it being written by the same company. You will find some functions will actually become easier to use on the site such as mentioning other members which will be done in a very similar fashion to how you do it on facebook with a simple @ symbol prefixing a name.

I've been here long enough now. What are we going to lose?

With every major upgrade it means that some applications and functions that we use, specifically ones which are written by 3rd party providers, have to be rewritten. As some of these are quite large there are some which have not yet been written for the new software such as membermap. I have however looked to ensure we have key features available before we upgrade so that things such as the recent topics at the top, the chat bar, tapatalk etc are all available from day one.

So, what will we gain?

Will give a basic list. Some when we go live with it and some which will come later

• @mention to mention people in posts
  • Map locations on calender entries for meets
  • Live editor, so when you post a youtube video for example it will show as soon as the link is entered
  • Drag images to attach
  • Responsive design, so the site will change and scale the smaller your device gets. The main skin will also be the tablet skin and mobile skin so you will have more functionality on mobile
  • Posts are automatically saved. If you move to another page and come back to finish your post, it will still be there where you left off
  • You will be able to follow each content on your own basis. So if you want to follow something but not recieve an email for that particular post you can do this direct from the post
  • Recurring calender entries for regular items
  • Sending a message to someone will show in a popup rather than moving you away from the page you are viewing
  • Adding a link to another topic will automatically change this to a link showing the information and a preview
  • You can add a wall image to the top of your profile
  • Friends system has been removed, however now you can follow members which is more useful
  • Faster browsing
  • Event gallery meaning if you add a calender event you can then add the images direct to that event afterward
  • Husky weight tracker
  • Profiles for your huskies

When will all this happen?

I have no exact date as of yet, however this is now purely because I need to set the time aside to get it done. I would expect by the same time next month we will have upgraded to the new software. As this is a large upgrade it is likely to be almost a full day that the site is down whilst it is being worked on.

Can't wait, this is awesome.

Thanks for all the hard work going on behind the scenes Marc :up: