crying husky

Myshka is 4.5 yrs old, her routine hasn't changed much in all that time, except I have recently (6 weeks ago) returned to work after being signed off for 5 months. I went back part-time for 4 weeks then full time.

Since last Thursday, Myshka has "cried" & been restless, wanting more hugs than usual, cries to go out & 5 seconds later, cries to come in again! This lasted about 1.5 hrs the first day, till Sat night, when we were away & my son dog-sat, she was still whinging & wining at 2 am (I know cos my son text me! :blink: ). She finally settled at 3am, but was off again at 8am & on & off throughout the day.

She is eating, drinking, toileting, everything the same as normal, it's just this crying. She was in season the first 3 weeks of December, so it's not that (she gets a LITTLE whingy in season) but we don't know what has happened. She is not tender anywhere when we pet her.

The timing is not right for it to be some kind of separation anxiety (me going back to work) - or is it? When I could get out while off sick, I did, so she didn't get used to me being there all the time, but that said, it was only about 10% out & 90% in in all honesty, due to my sickness.

Any thoughts on what may be up with her? A friend of ours with a husky (another Mishka!) said hers was the same until they found she wanted to sleep outside (in the porch) where it was cooler, but you've seen Myshka's pic in front of the fire, she is definitely NOT a cold weather dog!! :lol:

It might be because her routine has been a bit upset, although it's odd she's starting this after you've already been at work for a few weeks although you never know what very subtle signs she could have been showing before the whining started, some things are easy to miss. It wouldn't hurt to have the vet look over her to make sure everything is 100%.

If all is ok health wise, how much exercise does she get each day? Do you do any training with her? A bit more mental stimulation might help to settle her.

Thanks, Bec .... she gets the same exercise as before, but she's just not interested in toys or games or stuff (never has been) though she will spend 2 minutes wrecking a ball then leave it!

I've mulled over a vet check, better to be safe & all that, but her only symptom is the crying .... still, it can't hurt, can it? Will book her in tomorrow :)

You never know what it could be indicating! I would do a quick exam of her myself, just get her to stand and run your hands over her back, legs etc and maneuver them a bit just to see if there's a particular area hurting her.

Is she food motivated at all?

I got a feeling she is sulking.....

One of the very 1st things I picked up on when we got Saskia was don't do the same things at the same times everyday as they expect it all the times E.G taking them out if you take them out every work day say at 6am then expect a lie in on weekends for get it they will wake you to go out, feed times my 2 are feed at morning and night but when its up 2 me and they know it again E.G I used to feed them at 5pm everyday than something happened and we could not feed them they drove us mad so now its anythime between 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm and even if we are not busy we Veriee it everyday.

Bedtime in this house is different everyday for them as I work nights and come home at daft times like now its just after 4am and they sat here with me:)

Now this is a tip for anyone that wants it don't if you cant help it get in a routine with your husky as they will learn very quickly and it might be you and them that suffers when you cant for-full there expectations.

Hope you get this sorted Val

Pongo sort of acts this way when I am off for a few days and then work for a few days. He gets all needy and won't leave my side. I just give him more attention and hugs and he seems to calm down a bit. He lets me know when he's upset that I was gone with a nice growl wooo woo when I get home thoughsmile.gif No whining from him though, thank goodness! I do notice that he is pretty much on a routine that wakes him up around 6:30am-7:30 am to go outside and have breakfast. Now I just let him out, feed him and go back to bed and let him roam the house. At least he's a good boy! I wish we didn't have much of a routine sometimesdry.gif

Awww i hate it when they cry :(

I think she is just confuzzled, i'm sure in a few more weeks she'll settlel, i think ignoring her when she cries will help, it wont be easy though. If you give her attention when she asks for it then you play right into her paws

Thanks for all your replies, guys, rep added

she seems a lot calmer tonight, but last night, we went to bed at midnight, Steve heard her at 1/2 1 this morning & ended up sleeping on the sofa! (No, I haven't bribed her to get all the king-size bed! :P )

Bec, I've tried rubbing my hands over her, moving her joints, etc, but she doesn't flinch at anything, she's still eating, drinking & toileting as normal. And no, she's not really food motivated, if she's in the mood, maybe, but that can be 50-50 with her, moody mare! :lol: Saying that, she tried to run off with my cheese on toast earlier! :D

Dunc, we don't stick to a routine, but that's not by choice, we all go out between 7.30 - 8am, but I could be on late shift & be here till 1pm. Steve pops in through the day to let them out but again, depending on what job he has & where he's working, that can be any time & any number of times throughout the day. Likewise, afternoon / evening, Steve can be home any time when he's finished & me - depends what shift I'm on. So none of us really know whether we're coming or going, TBH!! :lol: Feeding / walks etc happen when they happen, no set times, but this has been going on for all 4 years she's been with us ...

Like I said at the start, she's a lot quieter tonight, she's taken to sleeping in Diesel's bed - good job he's a gentle giant & let's her! So whatever was troubling her is hopefully over ... :)

well, she lasted till 5am this morning, then started crying, like having a puppy again! :blink: But it does seem to be getting better ...

Loads of things have been running through my head ... has anyone had experience of their dog having phantom pregnancies? What were the symptoms? How did she act? I'm only asking as the only time Myshka is like this is when she's in season, but that was the 1st 3 weeks in December, so WAY too soon for another, she's always regular every 6 months. & She seems to be cleaning her "bits" more than usual, too, but other than that, she's the same.

well, an update for you .......... we booked her in to the vet yesterday, she went to the local village one (very limited equipment) and the vet said there's nothing wrong with her BUT I think she may be PREGNANT!!!!!! :o:blink::huh:

I did post last week I feared a phantom pregnancy :( but the vet had a feel & said either phantom or if pregnant, only 1 pup as Myshka is not swelled but is giving milk .... she needs a scan.

She has just come out of her scan today & there's nothing there! PHEW!! So my poor girl IS having a phantom pregnancy .... she is on antibiotics to lower her raised temperature & some other meds that Steve is bringing home now (will post up later) but at least she's not been got at!! :D

Thank you everyone who has posted up asking after her, I'll give her loads of hugs from each one of you!! :lol:

Sorry Val missed this somehow. Noushka had a phantom pregnancy (that's how we got Barrybiggrin.gif ) She was an absolute nightmare, trying to 'make' a nest in any little dark corner she could, crying, producing milk and then carrying around a stuffed toy.

One thing I would look out for are her teats, Noushka had a dose of mastitis, a course of antibiotics and a warm hot water bottle sorted that one out though.

Great big Husky hugs to her from our lot...

Sorry Val missed this somehow. Noushka had a phantom pregnancy (that's how we got Barry:D ) She was an absolute nightmare, trying to 'make' a nest in any little dark corner she could, crying, producing milk and then carrying around a stuffed toy.

One thing I would look out for are her teats, Noushka had a dose of mastitis, a course of antibiotics and a warm hot water bottle sorted that one out though.

Great big Husky hugs to her from our lot...

Thanks, Al, will do .... she has the antibiotics for 5 days & some liquid medicine to dry up her milk & change her mood & hopefully bring her out of this phantom "thing"! She is loads better in herself already, the crying is greatly reduced & she has to go back in 10 days for a check up ... she looks so forlorn with her shaved belly :( She is eating etc as normal, but bringing her food back up, so thinking of doing little & often with her to see if she can keep that down.. she still just wants to be next to you being cuddled which isn't her at all (but I'm not complaining!!) :lol:

Thanks again, guys :D