acting like a mad-dog

lynnmw1208

I was just wondering if anyone else's husky runs around the house randomly like a mad-dog around in circles over and over again. Then when you tell them to sit they freak out and bark at you and nip at you and won't listen. Pongo does this frequently and it's starting to worry me that he's trying to push his dominance on us. He wouldn't quit today until I rolled him on his side and held him there for a few seconds rubbing his ears until he had a nice long sigh. We walk him every day and play with him constantly and I have no idea why he does this!blink.gif

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like when my dogs have zoomies.

I would guess that the barking and nipping is playfulness. I would use the energy to channel into something more productive (get the treats out and do some training, or play tug etc).

hmm that sounds like a good idea. I'm glad the "zoomies" seems normal. I just never understood why he did that lol

Sounds like normal sibe behaviour to me. hours asleep, then the 'mad half-hour' 'Zoomies' 'furniture olympics'....whatever you want to call it. Ours have predictable sessions of this during the day and we let them get on with it unless it gets too boistrous, thn I send them outside. Sure, it's not something other breeds do, but it's certainly something sibes do and I would worry what was wrong if ours DIDN'T have their usual mad sessions in the day. When they decide to light the blue touchpaper, I stand well back till they all chill out again B)B)

If you think one sibe doing it is bad, you wanna be here when all 15 of ours decide its lunatic time, and EVERYONE joins in, even the oldies. In fact, our 11 year old is possibly the most boistrous of the lot when it comes to furniture olympics

If you think one sibe doing it is bad, you wanna be here when all 15 of ours decide its lunatic time, and EVERYONE joins in, even the oldies. In fact, our 11 year old is possibly the most boistrous of the lot when it comes to furniture olympics

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Ditto - we tend to call it horizontal trampolining as they use the backs of the sofas to launch themselves across the room. Anya, our sedate "duchess" is our worst - she mutates from "duchess" to "crazy racoon."

Just normal sibe behaviour!!

Mick

Guest snowdog

lmao, my 3 do this , run from the lobby n kitchen out there crates n bounce right off the back of the sofa's , funny thing is ive got 2 sofas kinda adjecent to eachother, so they run bounceoff the back of the first sofa then, bounce off the floor onto the other, then repeat it all over n over, its mad, seeing all three doing it, neo follows me to the back door we race eachother to the sofa n both bounce of it its hilarious n the kids join in, neeko n shadow dont race me just neo, hes daft biggrin.gif

lol @ everyones comments. micha and suki will go mental for 30 minutes once or twice a day, micha used to do it when it was just her so we called it a micha mental, even now when they both do it, its look the dogs are micha mentaling lol.

even worse when my friend comes over with her 2 greyhound dogs, then its absolute pandamonium and they have to be shooed outside, or your in danger of being trampled to death

Oh, thats what it is! Yanky does these crazy laps around the garden like a live rocket. We call it Yanky-Go-Go time. Interesting to find out it is a common trait. No barking, just running like a possessed beast. Happens once or twice a day. I thought it was to release extra energy.

ROFL @ all the posts!! Myshka has done this all her life, I just Thank God Diesel doesn't, we wouldn't have a house left!! laugh.giflaugh.gif He just sits & watches her go loopy wondering what's up with her!!

We should have a video thread of all this mad dash behaviour!!

good idea, next time i catch micha doing it i will video it

Reading this thread has me laughing picturing everybody's sibes going manic. Around her we call it crazydog and just get the heck out the way. Even Nik gets into it, but he has nearly no periferal vision left, so we have to sort of herd him to the middle of the room or he'll spin into something. Dakota tear-asses around so fast that he's thrown carpets while cornering, all the while grinning like a crazed fool.

Oh yeah! Mad half hours are great! It usually happens when I play with Nukka for a while she'll suddenly take off and start running crazy up and down and round and round bouncing off the sofa (even if theres someone sitting on it blink.gif ) Even if I didnt want her to do it I'm usually too busy PMSL to be able to stop her! And while she has such good co-ordination (even able to dodge temp obsticles like a clotheshorse) I think I'll leave her to it, if she ever started to knock things over then might think differently but for the moment shes just hilarious to watch!! biggrin.gif

LOL your comments are all wonderful! This has got to be one of the weirdest behaviors that sibes do to me. At first I thought he was mad at me for not giving him enough attention, which i know I do. I would love to see a video of the other sibes doing it, that would be great. Maybe next months vid competition lol. I just can't wait until our house is finished so he can have more room to do this as we're in a condo right now.laugh.gif I am glad he hasn't ruined any furniture yet, but the only thing I worry about is the wall behind his cage because part of his mad-dash is running full force into his cage lol.

Kino does this as well as my parents 8 year old Bichon(sp?) Its really funny to watch because when I am at my parents they never do it at the same time and whin the Bichon does it Kino just sits there and tries to pounce her as she runs by. Hes caught her twice and she was not happy to say the least.

PMSL.... laughingsmiley.gif at everyones answers!! Yeah Grey goes a bit loopy and has a mad 15min run around and jumping on everything (Even tho he not allowed to go on the sofa :rolleyes:) He also gets a bit nutty after he has had a bath and will rub him self all over the carpet and when he has somthing like raw chicken wings for dinner he goes mad rubbing his nose on the carpet aswel ( Its so funny cause he sticks his bum in the air tail wagging tail and snorts as he rubs his nose up and down the carpet) :lol::lol::lol:

PMSL.... laughingsmiley.gif at everyones answers!! Yeah Grey goes a bit loopy and has a mad 15min run around and jumping on everything (Even tho he not allowed to go on the sofa rolleyes.gif) He also gets a bit nutty after he has had a bath and will rub him self all over the carpet and when he has somthing like raw chicken wings for dinner he goes mad rubbing his nose on the carpet aswel ( Its so funny cause he sticks his bum in the air tail wagging tail and snorts as he rubs his nose up and down the carpet) laugh.gif:lol:laugh.gif

HAHAHAHA Mary I know exactly what you mean about Grey rubbing his face Nukka does this 2 and its sooooo funny to watch she'll usually do it on her pillow in the livingroom after chickenwings or sumut she'll just bury her face right in the pillow and rub it about with her bum in the air! PMSL!!!! biggrin.gif

HAHAHAHA Mary I know exactly what you mean about Grey rubbing his face Nukka does this 2 and its sooooo funny to watch she'll usually do it on her pillow in the livingroom after chickenwings or sumut she'll just bury her face right in the pillow and rub it about with her bum in the air! PMSL!!!! :D

PMSL.....laughingsmiley.gif Yeah get me every time!!!! He He Ha Ha

Need to get a new camera so will defo try and get some snaps or even better get a video of him doing it and post it up :D x x x x

LOL! When Nikita was younger he'd do the same thing after every meal -- dive head-first into his pillow, bum in the air, scrubbing his head vigorously from side to side. He'd have his front paws tucked back so that they weren't even touching the ground -- he'd be placing all of his weight entirely on his crazy spinning head!