Groomer Returns The Wrong Dog. Owner Only Finds Out Four Months Later

BlueWolf

So I saw this getting posted on Reddit today. Was quite shocked but I can totally see how this could happen. I can even comprehend how the owner must feel about it right now. Copy-pasty from here:

Ok, so in early June my dog Emma (an all black Sheppard/Newf mutt) was taken to my local dog groomer to get her hair cut. When we got her back from her hair cut she began to act very strange. Physically, she was identical but mentally she was not there. She began to get more aggressive (She bit my hand when I would feed her scraps, or she wanted my attention), ignore people whom she knew and was acquainted with (this dog bonded to me and ignored my father, brother, and neighbors), and she changed her entire routine with the family.

See, my dog Emma was attached at the hip to my father, she would follow him around day and would even express anxiety whenever he would be away for long periods of time. But it just so happens that at the beginning of June My Father had to temporarily live on the opposite side of my state for work. And this dog that we had gotten back from the groomers was expressing all of my dog Emma's mannerisms of anxiety of begin away from my father. Or so we thought.

For Four months. For Four months I've been taking care of and loving this dog I was calling Emma who looked exactly like my dog but somehow different from the Emma I once knew. This morning my mother got a call from her groomer, a woman whom is a customer of my mothers at the dentist office that she works at. My mother after not seeing her since we got our dog back from her in June made an off hand comment about how Emma had been acting almost traumatized like since we got her back in June. The woman played it off like it was no big deal, the next day she called my mother. The call consisted of her asking my mother to bring Emma to a meeting at her shop immediately. Because another dog owner asked her the same question just the other day. An hour ago my parents came home with my actual dog. The dog that I had been caring for was named Bear, and belonged to a pair of near elderly psychopaths. Their dog is my dogs almost identical twin sister from the same litter.

I've got my dog back now, and it's really hard to describe this bizarre feeling about the whole situation. Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, or if it's kinda hard to read. I'm sorta shaken about it.

I couldn't help but squint at the 'elderly psychopaths' part. Thought the author is going to keep both Emma and Bear because they're just that :o

Thought you meant HO Emma and Bear for a second. lol

I couldn't help but squint at the 'elderly psychopaths' part. Thought the author is going to keep both Emma and Bear because they're just that :o

People asked about that as well but the person hasn't directly answered it. She did post this though:

The real shame about this now, is that I'm super attached to a dog I don't own. When the dogs were exchanged Emma ran right over to us, and Bear was very hesitant to go back to it's original owner. They had to drag the poor dog into their car. It looked like it didn't want to leave us.

Once a year or so I'd ask the vet to scan Charly's chip just to make sure it is still working. I think it now serves 2 purposes, chip still working and identity verification :-) But then my dogs have distinctive markings so I'll know. I always wonder how people not mistaken single colour dog. Especially when you've all black dog, without collar or harness, I think it is very difficult to differentiate if the size is about the same.

I worked at a cat shelter were something like this happened too (though not as severe as this). The shelter also has a pension. When people come and pick up their cats and are quite certain that THAT is their cat, why would you doubt them? I mean, they should know their cats better than us right? Well, this one brought his back after two days after he noticed this cat became increasingly more aggressive. Turned out he picked out the wrong cat  :o

Ever since that incident they started scanning their cat's chips before giving them back to their owners, even if they are absolutely certain it's their cat. You'd be surprised how often this happens!