Saying Hello from California

Lvzbel

Hello i wanted to introduce myself to a community that i think it will help me in long journey of owning a Husky. :) Here is a little about me and how i got my puppy I'm 22 years old and I meet this guy who has two huskies and they had a puppies so we was looking for a home for them and I got it for free, so i research about the breed and I feel capable of giving her the exercise requirements they need but i never train a dog before this why i join this forum. Sadly later i found out that is recommended to get the puppy at 8 weeks or older but i got her when she was 6 weeks and a half :( the owner didn't want them anymore. I don't know how important this is but im hoping i can make it my best friend and a companion for life :) Thank you all in advance for the help and advise ill be reciving.

Her name is Mishka and ill be posting more pics of her tomorrow for now i just have the one on my sig of the day i got her

Welcome to the pack....what a lovely bundle of fluff she is!!

Your right, 6 1/2 weeks is too young to leave the mother as they are still learning from their littermates - I can't believe they didn't want them :( Good on you though for taking her on :D

Owning a sibe is a lot different to owning a different breed, I'd recommend reading as much as you can about them, browse around here too and if you are unsure of anything just ask away :)

Look forward to seeing you around !

Hey ya Lvzbel & furbaby Mishka , :wave:

Welcome to the pack!! Hope you enjoy the site and make lots of friends chatting about this lovely Breed :D Really look forward to seeing you around the forum and hearing all about Mishka grow.

Fell free to ask any questions as everyone on here is so nice ad happy to help :) x x x x

Welcome to the pack Lvzbel and Mishka! Huskies are very intelligent, but they are also very aloof at times. They have focus, but it is easily redirected. You may want to consider crate training, as that will help with house breaking and also provide a safe environment for the times you have to leave Mishka. Huskies shed, and once or twice a year (depending on the individual Husky), they blow their coat. So brushing Mishka is something you should get her used to, maybe when she's a few months old. Never take Mishka out without a leash. Huskies will take off, and not respond to calling. She will be gone, and you probably don't want or need that to happen. Also, Huskies are escape artists, they push the envelope, and they don't give up easily. So, you'll need to stay one step ahead, and be alert. Give your Husky lots of attention, lots of exercise (don't over do it though for a few months), and lots of love. They are very loving, gentle, and worthy companions, but make lousy watch dogs.

Hi, Rodrigo & Mishka, welcome to the pack :wave:

She is a little young to be away from her litter, she should be learning bite-inhibition etc now with them, but it's just something else for you to train her on! :D As in the above posts, they are not any old dog, they are a breed apart & will frustrate you but you will fall under their spell!! :lol:

Anything you neeed to know & can't find on here, ask away!! :D

Hello welcome to the pack

6 and a half weeks is very young for a pup to leave its mum and littermates as it is during this time that they learn the essential "skills" which they need in the big wide world. There are many risks with taking a puppy home so early, but you have her now and by the sounds of it she could be better of with you now if the other people didnt want the puppies anymore. We are all here to help you and mishka live a stress free life so you can enjoy the benefits of life with a husky and Mishka can enjoy the benefits of life with a pack leader :)

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, we are more than happy to help you :)

Thank you All before i got the puppy i read alot about the breed and all the care that they need, Im sure im able to provide her with what she needs. And because she left the pack very little two days ago after i trying to play fetch with her but she wouldnt bring it back and after a 10 min or so she started targeting my feet lol and she also look and made noises like she was mad. i just try to calm her down ever sense that day she started bitting i try to tell her "No" and ignore her it works most of the time. And my biggest problem is training Im trying to use clicker training and understand already what the click is about the only thing that i have a problem that she doesnt concentrate on me lol only a few times and they she starts playing with her toys or the carpet hahaha. She is doing great in her create she doesnt does her bussiness inside she lets me know when she has to go :).

Im also glad to see how friendly you guys are and that a willing and enjoy helping others. and I want to let you know that even thought I'm not an experience dog owner I have all the desire and Im motivated to learn how to be one so Mishka and I can enjoy our life together because I really want the best for her.

Thank you All Ill get some more pics today

Hey Lvzbel and Mishka, welcome to the pack!

Playing fetch can be hit and miss with huskies as their not always intersted in the same games another breed might enjoy, and as for her getting bored and wondering off at 8 weeks they will have VERY short attention spans so will get bored of playing a sertain game or training very quickly so training at the moment you should keep it little and often... start off with the basics like sit and just ask her to do it once or twice at different intervals throughout the day. As its been said they are very intelligent dogs so she will start to learn very quickly! As for the nipping at you thing this is something all puppies go through, they learn a certain amount of bite inhibition and control from their littermates but as she left quite early she wont have quite a good understanding of it yet, just keep doing exactly what your doing a firm NO and then ignoring her and she will quickly learn that when she bites you the attention goes away and she will stop. Firmness and consistancey is the key to training any puppy, just keep repeating the same things and you'll be fine, ignor the bad praise the good and she'll learn in no time! Good luck and take a million pictures as they grow up soooo quick!!! biggrin.gif

I agree with Sarah their attention span is so minimal at this age, I wouldn't worry too much just spend a couple of mins and end the training or play session - make sure you end it though so your assert yourself as pack leader :)