Dew Claws

I don't think removing them would do any good. Would it? :huh: I mean, unless they ripped off their dew claw by accident, why would we need to intentionally clip it off?

I haven't flipped the paw of many dogs but I think dew claws are generally positioned in the same spot. Is it not? :huh:

A lot of breeders have dew claws removed at a few days old. Some breeds always do. Just asking if huskies normally do, or if breeders generally keep them. And my post may have been confusing. I would never have them removed at this age. Just a general question.

Hey Telli,  My Sasha has her rear dew claws and while they're floppy and pretty pronounced she's never had a problem with them running through the scrub here on the desert (where everything has spines of some kind!)  I wouldn't even consider having them removed unless it were to become a problem.

It's really odd how the different breeds clubs look on dew claws.  Some mandate their removal as a matter of course, others mandate that they remain.  In the Great Pyrenees where double dew claws are common removal (or lack) is considered a fault. 

Wikipedia has a decent article on dew claws.

Chula only has front dew claws. I don't know if she had rear ones that were removed. Her dew claws make me nervous though because they seem so prone to ripping...and knowing my dog's propensity to injure herself I'm positive at some point she will tear one off.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

All of my three only have front dew claws. I've met a husky x malamute who also had rear dew claws that were pretty high up and noticeable (well they had to be pretty obvious for me to spot it, lol). Like the others have said the front dew claws are needed to grip and hold.

• 7 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I breed shepherd husky mixes and I would never remove the dewclaw. It became a practice for breed standardization for looks and is totally unessecary and in my opinion barbaric. It serves a purpose to stabalize the carpal and is attached to deep tendons. The rear dewclaw helps dogs if they slip, fall into icy water to climb out, and to run over uneven terrain.

• Like 1