Hello from NC

Hey there!

so i figured id post on here to tell ya little about myself..

Im rachel.. i am happily married to my husband shaun of 3 yrs (as of December ) .. and I am the proud owner of two dogs .. my husky (the reason im here :) ) and my pomeranian joe-schmo but we all call him joey

Me and my husband just moved to NC from TX and NM -as of October of this year he retired from the army .. ... and are in the midst of getting use to having to downsize.. like the backyard for example unfortunatly that didnt make syrus to happy sad.gif ... he loves to be outside... loves to run.. go on walks lonnnng walks ... he just HAS to meet everyone he see's... as we all know hes not much of a gaurd dog.. so joe-schmo takes up the task himself... haha

syrus was given to my husband (from me ) as a christmas gift from when he returned from Iraq... (he was born on Nov 22nd and shaun got to pick him up December 23rd :) --> you should of seen his face it was like a kid in a candy storeohmy.gif )

I joined this site to meet fellow owners of this wonderful breed and hopefully friends... aswell as to learn some tips and tricks to training - My husband and I train differently ...this is our first husky .. and this is shauns first pet ever... at one point things got so fustrating that we figured it would be easier to find him a better home...but in the end we couldnt leave him we love he wayyyy to much!!...

my husband was medically discharged with bi-polar... lately his mood hasnt been all that great and i believe syrus can easily sense that...but because of this training has been a big issue ....

i feel sort of lost... not hopelessly lost .. just fustrtated.. hes an absolutly wonderful dog... hes been able to learn sit... laydown ... shake ..now being in NC we have alot more family member that vist .. more so the itty bitty kids and the much older adults and he just loves to jump on ppl... im not exactly sure how to correct that... ive tried making him sit when he comes to me but havent been able to manage to get him to stop jumping... and a few other things so any advice or tips would be greatly appriciated!

anywho.. thats my story for now,... any questions feel free to ask... I cant wait to get to know everyone!

hi and welcome to the site, i stopped my 3 jumping by ignoring them when i come home i ignore them an turn my back on them till they sit, i also got my daughter and her partner to do the same, do not give them any attention when they jump only when they sit down, it soon sinks in xxxxx good luck

hi and welcome to the site, i stopped my 3 jumping by ignoring them when i come home i ignore them an turn my back on them till they sit, i also got my daughter and her partner to do the same, do not give them any attention when they jump only when they sit down, it soon sinks in xxxxx good luck

i will definitally try that! thank you for the advice smile.gif

If you want to use a word to say when they jump up, Try "Get"

It's short and used for many things, normally Get off, Get out, Get Down.

We use it with a hand water spray, like you use for you plants indoors.

Like this..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-43890-Mini-Water-Sprayer/dp/B000VM77ZI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1262022664&sr=8-1

Only fill it with water though, and have it on fine spray.

When the dog jumps up, spray them on the back of the tips of the ears, and say "GET" you have to mean it though.

The spray works as a distraction, and the word "GET" reinforces what you want them to do, it normally only takes a few well times srays, with the word for them to stop jumping up.

But what valkyries said also works, pay no attention to them when you come in, take your coat off, sort yourself out, before you say hi to the dogs, doesn't always work with people they don't know though..

Give both a go and see how you get on.

Welcome to the forum.

Shrimpo

Great intoduction :)

I can tell how you feel with the difference in training! Ive had many different opinions with my partner about training, its not easy at times, but Im learning to take each different opinion as a learning curve.

Sorry to hear about your husband with Bi-polar. If you ever need some help and support, don't hesitate to come on here and ask questions - we are more than happy to help out :)

Welcome to the pack, hope to see you around

Hi Rachel,

Welcome to the site and hope you have fun with us all biggrin.gif

We will try and help you as best as we can with our knowledge, So here goes ! We will go through your points as posted !!

First and foremost, We wish Shaun a speedy recovery and hope his Bi polar gets better soon. The medication out there today is a lot better than it used to be and when taken regularly, will make him feel a lot better, believe us.

Everyone here in England gives our FULL support to all Men and Women of the forces who get posted to Afghanistan and Iraq !

Syrus IS still your little baby, only difference is, he has just grown in size and grown up in his mind !!

He will soon get used to his back yard even though it is smaller - It just means that you will have to walk him an extra half a mile and that means he will get to meet more people. biggrin.gif Huskies love to meet new people when they are young and it sets them up good, for when they are older.

Huskies don't make guard dogs, Full Stop ! They were not bred to be guard dogs. But they have lots of other fine qualities, and who needs a guard dog anyway. (As we say here in England, "Never Mind The Dog, Beware Of The Owner") laugh.gif

We are just a little bit bemused this end, as to why Shaun was able to pick the puppy (Syrus) up at 4 weeks and 3 days old - It does not matter now, as it has been done and dusted.

But for future reference, puppies from the age of 4 weeks to 8 weeks learn an awful lot of manners and guidance from their Mother.

That is why it is best not to remove a puppy from it's Mother until it is 8 weeks old !

PLEASE don't re-home Syrus, trust us he will be good in the end, please believe us.

But you and Shaun have to be FIRM with Syrus, but FAIR !!

If on the days that Shaun does not feel to good, then you will have to take control, and vice versa !!

When both of you are good, both take control !

You and Shaun MUST give yourselves a lot of PRAISE, because you both have taught Syrus to Sit, Lie-down and shake etc. This is good, a BIG well done. You both ARE on the right road, and you are now only half way there to the end !! biggrin.gif

You both just need to use a one word command to stop him from doing something you do not like Syrus doing. for instance, the jumping ! Like STOP or NO. And when he tries to jump up at your front, try raising YOUR knee towards the front of Syrus' chest and using the chosen command word.

I.E. STOP or NO whilst raising your knee to Syrus' chest. And teach the other family members to do the EXACT same.

Remember, Huskies are strong willed, so YOU must be stronger, with FIRM commands and FAIRNESS !!

One last piece of advice. When you or Shaun reprimand Syrus, make sure you look at him in the eyes, at his level. He will try to look away, just like a child would. But try to keep eye contact and he will learn that you are telling him off. (Just like when Maya told Max off in the film Eight Below, when they were going to catch the Sea-gulls) wink.gif

We hope this helps and you only have to ask, should you need more help. It may seem an up-hill struggle, but hang on in there, both of you.

In our opinion - Huskies are the best breed in the world and you soon will be rewarded with the hard work that you put in

All of our best,

Ivan and Paul. Ice, C.K, Falmer & Kira.

Hi Rachel,

Welcome to the site and hope you have fun with us all biggrin.gif

) wink.gif

We hope this helps and you only have to ask, should you need more help. It may seem an up-hill struggle, but hang on in there, both of you.

In our opinion - Huskies are the best breed in the world and you soon will be rewarded with the hard work that you put in

All of our best,

Ivan and Paul. Ice, C.K, Falmer & Kira.

Hey thank you and trust me we wouldnt give up syrus.. we tried that and just felt so pittiful for even thinking it.. hes our baby haha ... i really appriciate all your advice.... and will definitally start putting that into our training.. cause i think i myself need more training than sy hah tongue.gif

If you want to use a word to say when they jump up, Try "Get"

It's short and used for many things, normally Get off, Get out, Get Down.

We use it with a hand water spray, like you use for you plants indoors.

Like this..

http://www.amazon.co...62022664&sr=8-1

Only fill it with water though, and have it on fine spray.

When the dog jumps up, spray them on the back of the tips of the ears, and say "GET" you have to mean it though.

The spray works as a distraction, and the word "GET" reinforces what you want them to do, it normally only takes a few well times srays, with the word for them to stop jumping up.

Welcome to the forum.

Shrimpo

good idea! ill give this try!~thank you :)

Hiya, Rachel, Shaun, Joey & Syrus, welcome to the pack :wave:

You've had a rough ride with Shaun's diagnosis & a husky pup comes along full of stubborness! The advice already given is excellent, we won't bombard you with loads of try this & try that! But huskies HATE being ignored, it's a quick way for them to know they've done wrong. One thing to remember, NEVER let those husky eyes melt you when you're trying to be pack leader, they will sense it & use them every time & win! :D

Any way we can help, just shout up, there'll be someone to help out! xx

Hi Rachel, welcome to the pack. Looks like you've received a wealth of quality information on this thread. I trust you will find it most helpful. This forum is so helpful in so many ways when it comes to Huskies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, welcome to the site. NC born and raised here.

Our 3 year old husky we got from a neighbor used to do the same thing with jumping on people. We used the block method, you just lift your knee a bit when he's going to jump up and it prevents the dog from getting his or her paws on you to balance so they have to go back down, then ignore them until they calm down. Also using the block method avoids you touching the dog with your hands which they see as affectionate positive attention which reinforces the bad behavior.