Border Collies Border Collies Border Collies.

When my hubby was a teenager he had a border collie and she was great!  Admittedly she was neurotic and incredibly jealous of me but I thought the world of her.  Was a fantastic little lady and very bright. Probably a bit too bright. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, finally another BC owner!!!

I have a 7 yo boy named Wollie (Afrikaans word meaning 'woolly')

See pics of him now and as a pup ;)

You gotta teach me about BC traits and breed-specific care some time. I browsed around Petfinder and fell in love with a GSD x BC mix. I will not be able to adopt any dog until 1-2 years from now, but if... just if... that dog is still available the day I am ready for a new dog she'd be my first pick. I know quite a bit about GSDs... But I know close to nothing about BCs :)

You gotta teach me about BC traits and breed-specific care some time. I browsed around Petfinder and fell in love with a GSD x BC mix. I will not be able to adopt any dog until 1-2 years from now, but if... just if... that dog is still available the day I am ready for a new dog she'd be my first pick. I know quite a bit about GSDs... But I know close to nothing about BCs :)

Oh I looooove them!!!! Wollie has been the easiest dog to teach... and I say teach because I didn't have to train him basically :P since he was a pup he walked on leash like a dream and had the best behaviour ;)

Just the vet business with his ear that made him a bit anti social... but I was told and have suspected that the vet's 'helper' at that time might have hurt him during his stay there...he used to slap, hurt or handle the dogs improperly if they were a bit difficult.

But other than his social skills he knows a lot of words & commands and will even eat, drink water or poop/pee on command :D now if only I can get Smokey trained as well :rofl:

Oh I looooove them!!!! Wollie has been the easiest dog to teach... and I say teach because I didn't have to train him basically :P since he was a pup he walked on leash like a dream and had the best behaviour ;)

Just the vet business with his ear that made him a bit anti social... but I was told and have suspected that the vet's 'helper' at that time might have hurt him during his stay there...he used to slap, hurt or handle the dogs improperly if they were a bit difficult.

But other than his social skills he knows a lot of words & commands and will even eat, drink water or poop/pee on command :D now if only I can get Smokey trained as well :rofl:

Well they did get crowned "the smartest dog breed". I'm sure Smokey will learn :) she might give you backache, headache and sleep deprivation in the process but she'd get there in the end :D Huskies are equally smart IMO they're just not exactly obedient and 200% more devilish :shrug:

Glad to hear they're "easy dogs"! Because my first impression on them is "uh oh, neurotic..."

@Liv: only thing to consider with BC is that some of them has quite a strong herding (& guarding) drive...

Wollie was taught to protect me, as I especially used to walk him to the ATM to withdraw money here. So once you teach them to protect/guard on command they go into that 'mode' quite easily which can sometimes be a wee bit of a problem ;)

But unfortunately that is the #1 reason why we here own dogs... to warn, guard & protect! :(

There are indeed dogs that are trained for personal protection, so I won't feel too bad about that. These kinds of dogs don't necessarily harm anyone but they're able to sense that "bad guy aura" and intimidate them to the point they decide to turn around and walk away. I wouldn't know how to train a dog to be protective, but having done some research about the Rough Collie (my 3rd favorite breed) myself, I know that herding dogs tend to have a protective instinct. I guess I would slowly learn how to prevent it from developing to a state of paranoia.

Huskies are equally smart IMO they're just not exactly obedient and 200% more devilish :shrug:

Glad to hear they're "easy dogs"! Because my first impression on them is "uh oh, neurotic..."

Smokey is definitely getting easier... just her vet visit made her scared of new noises or outings now :(

She does come 60% of the time when called (yay! Used to be like 5%) and I even figured out that the guy who let her mum have pups (not a breeder! That would be a insult to breeders!!!) Must have teached her a few commands.. she does 'sit' when asked and knows the Afrikaans words for 'eat' and 'drink' :D

BC can be very neurotic if not handled properly and never have them near thunder/lightning or fireworks!!! Also mine goes bonkers for the hairbrush on his back :rofl:

I guess I would slowly learn how to prevent it from developing to a state of paranoia.

Paranoia would be when your BC spots a mosquito at 2am!!! And doesn't give up chasing after it until it stops hearing the buzzing sound!!!

That is why I use Advantix - keeps mosquito count at 0! :D

Great, totally looking forward to adopt a second dog now LOL I think we should invent a word for it. Let's call it "second dog shock" or something. It's that state of confusion when you found all the years of experience you had with your first dog does not help at all with your second :shrug: I mean, I still hope it would help... but I also know I'd experience that second dog shock

Great, totally looking forward to adopt a second dog now LOL I think we should invent a word for it. Let's call it "second dog shock" or something. It's that state of confusion when you found all the years of experience you had with your first dog does not help at all with your second :shrug: I mean, I still hope it would help... but I also know I'd experience that second dog shock

None of them are ever the same! But I know the feeling now with Smokey... it's like 'but W only took a day to teach, or never did this or that' :rofl:

I have to say that I will never be able to resist a BC puppy!!!! They are the cutest and fluffiest things ever :D

I don't personally dislike rough collies, I just prefer the BC personality over them... RC are too clever and the ones I'm familiar with have a knack to get out of any yard ;) but then again I just bought a Husky puppy :P I'd say BC is my #1 preferred dog (I would love to own a red one someday!) and then I've wanted a Husky since I was like 4yo!!!

but our local shelter is loaded with border collie mixes

Yes, unfortunately most people get BC puppies and then can't handle their activeness when they get older or cannot keep them busy so they become destructive, and then they dump the 'problem' dog :(

One of the women who works at the doggy daycare has a border collie and he is the SWEETEST dog. I love him. I always want to steal him when she's not looking. He is also incredibly well behaved - but he's done a lot of training. One reason BC interest me is because I would really love to do flyball. It looks like so much fun, and they're one of the (if not THE) best at it.

I also love watching the herding demonstrations. They're really fascinating dogs. I have read/heard though that they do not always "play" with other dogs like Chula would demand from a sibling. She wants to chase, not be chased or herded. 

I have read/heard though that they do not always "play" with other dogs like Chula would demand from a sibling. She wants to chase, not be chased or herded.

Yes that can be true, they will even 'herd' the toys ;)

But that depends on the individual dog... Wollie has no real herding drive and he likes to do the chasing, but when I had the JRT she used to chase him around in circles! :rofl:

He wouldn't know what to do with a sheep if he saw one!!! But he does like tearing stuffed sheep apart :P

post-11912-0-07563400-1402593432.jpg