Eye Color And Blindness

Hey, guys!

Someone pointed out to me the odd color of my dog's eyes. His parents had amber brown eyes and rich yellow eyes. Every puppy in the litter (four black and white puppies and two red and white puppies) either started out with blue or brown eyes. Three of the blacks had brown eyes that stayed brown, the other one has ice blue eyes. The other red and white puppy had similar eyes to my puppy (an aqua blue) but I haven't spoken to the owner since.

Perrin's eyes have turned a rich green (which I didn't think was possible) and there isn't a distinctive line between the iris and pupil. It's very hazy. My vet has looked at his eyes but hasn't said anything about them. I've done "blind" tests since the moment I got him (I've heard of puppy blindness in advance), but now I've seen that his eyes are runny fairly often which makes me worried. I'm constantly wiping boogies from them (as of a week ago). Here are two close-ups:

post-11624-0-57520600-1396703689.jpg post-11624-0-08310300-1396703779.jpg

Sorry they're kind of grainy. I hope you can still sort of see what I'm talking about. Has other people seen eyes like this and I'm just freaking out over nothing? He's my first puppy on my own and he's so important to me. 

I'm going to ask my vet about it for a third time at his appointment next week but I wanted to throw this out there in advance.

Edit: With the blind tests, I can tell that he "watches" and he "sees" as well as have checked his hearing. He's never been big on eye contact (which I heard was kind of common for huskies) but we've been practicing "look at me" and he will make eye contact with me for three or so seconds before he looks away.

I also just saw this photo of an adult husky (red and white) with greenish eyes. 

post-11624-0-76349600-1396704534.jpg

I think that's sort of similar but Perrin's still look more hazy than that. The black in this husky's eyes is a clear, distinctive circle.

I have a dog that has limited vision in one eye and there's a difference in appearance between both eyes with one being rich in colour and the other being duller.

A quick test to perform to test for blindness is to cover one of the dog's eyes and drop a cotton-ball off to the side. Test it with both eyes to see if he notices the cotton-ball.

I have a dog that has limited vision in one eye and there's a difference in appearance between both eyes with one being rich in colour and the other being duller.

A quick test to perform to test for blindness is to cover one of the dog's eyes and drop a cotton-ball off to the side. Test it with both eyes to see if he notices the cotton-ball.

That was harder to do than it sounded xD He did not like me trying to cover his eyes!! Which I guess is a good thing since he could see me trying to do that.

Also, I have a lazer pointer and he can see the red dot.

So, it seems he can definitely "see". His eyes just look so strange to me.

The fact that they are green has nothing to do with blindness. Green eyes are perfectly acceptable, just a bit rare :)

I suppose it's not so much that they're green that caught my alarm, but that they're such a murky shade compared to other huskies who have vibrant, distinctive eyes xD. When you look up images of puppies with eye problems, that same, murky look seems to be there xD. That's what freaked me out. The color shocked me only because his sister (the one with similar coloring) doesn't have the same eye shade where as all the other puppies look the exact same. Only Perrin is odd xD.

Here's one of the articles that suggested light eyes are more likely to have problems: http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/blueeyed-dogs-blind-sooner-6213.html

Of course, nowhere does it say that it does or will cause blindness but with so many shoes fitting, I tried them on xD. I probably fear-mongered myself like the noob pet owner that I am xD.

Green eyes is, IMO, nothing more than a color. They're rare but doesn't mean they're 'special' in any way :)

This is all refreshing to hear. When I googled eye shades and blindness, many sites seemed to indicate "problem colors". It could all be subjective, of course, but when you already think something is wrong, it all sort of clicks together!!!

Green is a beautiful color :D.

It is a possible eye color among huskies though so  I wouldn't worry too much :P.

IMO amber eyes and green shaded eyes make reds look the best :D..

/end bias-ness

We named him Perrin after the character from the Wheel of Time series who is an average boy at first (takes place in a medieval-fantasy world) that discovers he can communicate with wolves. Once he does, his eyes start to turn yellow. We were hoping he was going to have rich, yellow eyes like his dad or amber like him mom (to go with his namesake). This green-color was not supposed to happen xD.

Kendra, I don't want to assume anything... but when you say his dad has yellow eyes, do you mean yellow yellow? Or is it light amber? Dogs don't have yellow eyes you know.. Only wolves do. 

I suppose the eye color is more of a gold-yellow. I just mean it's more yellow than brown. So yes, a light amber xD The mom has a very warm, caramel-amber color eyes where as the dad's eyes are sharper, more crisp gold. I just said yellow because amber is more of how I'd describe her eyes xD.

That's an amazing pic. Freya has got pretty bad vision especially in bright light. When she was a pup she used to trip up kerbs and if I throw a ball in the air she can't follow it, so I have to roll it along the ground, This is a really interesting thread.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Gorgeous! My girls eyes are blue doesn't have a distinctive circle pupil either here's a pic ov hers so u can see what I mean , it's like someone dropped some ink into water

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1396797076162.jpg

This is exactly what I'm talking about!! (and beautiful photo by the way!!).

It's the lack of a distinctive pupil that had me freaking out. It's exactly as if someone dropped ink in some water. 

My Sibe, Sasha, has similar eyes - the difference between the pupil and the iris is very indistinct, it's almost as if it fades in.  I'm 700 miles away from her or I'd see if I could get a picture ...

Nix, that IS a really neat picture!

What I'm thinking now is that this is a Sibe thing xD. I'm used to Belgian Turvs, Golden Retrievers, and German Shepherds who all have very distinct pupils and irises xD.