So Sad :(

Dunc

11 February 2014 Last updated at 06:41

Baby in Blackburn, Lancashire, killed by pet dog

An 11-month-old baby girl has died after she was mauled by a pet dog in Lancashire, police said.

The baby was taken to hospital from Emily Street, in Blackburn at 23:00 GMT on Monday where she died.

Police were called after the ambulance service initially reported a six-month-old baby girl had been mauled by a dog.

A 24-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of child neglect and are in police custody.

An 11-month-old baby girl was killed by an "American pit bull-type" dog while asleep upstairs in bed, police said.

Ava-Jayne Marie Corless was taken to hospital from Emily Street, Blackburn, at 23:00 GMT on Monday where she died.

The baby's mother Chloe King, 20, and her boyfriend have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter. They were downstairs when she was attacked.

Ava-Jayne was not at her home address but lived nearby. The pet, classed as a dangerous dog, has been destroyed.

Ms King and her 26-year-old boyfriend Lee Wright, who is not the child's father, are also being questioned on suspicion of child neglect.

'Horrific incident'

A post-mortem examination will take place to find out the exact cause of Ava's death.

During a press conference, Ch Supt Chris Bithell said the dog was an "American pit bull-type" which came under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991.

Mr Bithell said: "This is an absolutely horrific incident in which a baby girl has lost her life."

Police were first alerted by the ambulance service who were called to reports of the girl being mauled by a pet dog.

Tests will now be carried out to establish the exact breed.

"I'm told it's quite a large pit bull-type dog," Mr Bithell said.

"As part of the investigation we are making inquiries to see whether there have been previous issues with this particular dog," he added.

No-one else was injured during the attack.

A neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: "She was a lovely little girl, always smiling, always happy, just like her mum.

"It's sickened me to my stomach."

So sad. I will probably come under fire, but these type of dogs are always in the news here - breed specific legislation (BSL) is always being hotly debated. There was  a shocking death of an 18 moth old child last year from a similar type. The owners are certainly to blame - allow an idiot to keep a loaded gun and problems will occur. Every other month there is a savage mauling by a pit or mastiff type cross here. 

I was at puppy school on the weekend and there was 3 new owners all with staffies, one bogan women was complaining about her puppy biting, and the trainer asked what method she she was using when the bits occurred - she replied that she would smack him on the nose! 

I am rambling a bit but these type of incidents worry and sadden me greatly.  :(

So very sad.  :(

They said a few things about the parents on the news yesterday that made me wonder if there's something more to this than what we know.  Either way doesn't change the fact that a terribly young life has been taken and that's beyond tragic.  :(