do huskys cock their legs?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gizmo does, he didn't start doing it until a few months ago. He will still squat down occasionally. He is nearly 12 months now.

Marley will try and cock his leg but his is more of a squat/leg cock that one or the other.

Bandit doesn't do it at all yet.

Male huskies do cock their legs but not straight away, usually not until they are nearly a year old, some even longer. I think that dominance could have something to do with it aswell (i.e. the alpha dog will start cocking his leg before the least dominant).

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I don't think they start cocking their legs until they have reached the stage of maturity (i.e. when their ball have dropped, sorry for the wording couldn't think of the right word).

Good question. My mum's dog (Jack-Russel cross) is castrated and he will squat the majority of the time but he will cock his leg but he does that once in a blue moon. My furture sister-in-law has just adopted a English Bull Terrier who is also castrated and he always seems to squat as well.

So I would assume that a castrated dog is less likely to cock their leg than a non-castrated dog as when they do have their testicles (Thats the word I was trying to think of in my last answer) they will, most likely, be producing more testosterone (Male hormone) than a catrated dog would which may be what could cause the castrated dog to squat. I would also guess that when a dog is castrated it, may, level out the dogs testosterone with the level of oestrogen (Female hormone) which may also cause the dog to squat, being than many female will squat (Not all females quat though as raindog expained).

Don't take that as a definate answer as Im not sure, that was just a though that came to me.

blaze doesnt cock his leg either he is 15 weeks and his balls have dropped my older dog is 9 and he doesnt do it much but thats cuz 1 ov our git ov a next door neighbours dogs got out and attacked him thus crushing two lower vertabrae in his spine and stopping him walkin for a week luckily he got better n didnt have 2 have it removed thus giving him the squat/leg cock look when he goes aswell i cudnt tell u what age he started tho as we rescued him when he was 3 yrs old but he has been castrated and he ALWAYS used to cock his leg before his accident so im not sure bout the whole castrated = not cocking leg thing i was wondering about blaze not cocking his tho so glad sum1 asked lol

• 2 months later...

Marley and Bandit have sort of started to cock their leg, Bandit does it alot more than Marley. Marley will squat and slightly left his back leg up, lol. Bless little Marley, he is such a lazy boy sometimes :) Bandit only seems to cock his leg on walks, not in the Garden and I think that may be because Gizmo is pack leader as he does it all the time in the garden and on walks

Balto is 9 months and he started doing it at 8 months, but even now it's about 50,50, he still squats to, in fact i dont know if this is weird but alaska will sometimes raise one leg??:verwirrt: << not as high as balto but she still raises it whilst squating lol...anyone's female sibe do this?

oh and btw, balto got done a week ago and he still raises his leg...and when he got done his balls had dropped but not fully...so im sure your two will, sometimes it's the smaller dogs who can never do it....:)

i dont think its got anything to do with they are neutered or not as we had a 18month old lab and he was a full male(not neutered) and he always use to squat i think its more to do with the individual dog. if he is round alot of other dogs that do then maybe he will copy if he dosen't see other dogs do it he maynot.suka is only 15 weeks so doubt he will yet.

Balto is 9 months and he started doing it at 8 months, but even now it's about 50,50, he still squats to, in fact i dont know if this is weird but alaska will sometimes raise one leg??:verwirrt: << not as high as balto but she still raises it whilst squating lol...anyone's female sibe do this?

oh and btw, balto got done a week ago and he still raises his leg...and when he got done his balls had dropped but not fully...so im sure your two will, sometimes it's the smaller dogs who can never do it....:)

Thats normal for female to do it aswell. Usually a dominant behaviour and I heard that some may also do when they are in (or coming in to) season and also for scent marking.

• 4 weeks later...

so what happens if you have them cut off, was plannin on havin these two done next month????

Slightly off topic but isn't 6 months old a bit young for castration? One school of thought it that you should give the dog a chance to develop proper muscle etc before doing it as the lack of hormones will stunt natural development. This might only be an issue with working dogs though.