Kodiak Still Has Diarrhea

Jay

As you may or may not know, Kodiak busted out of his crate Wednesday evening and got to a turkey defrosting in my sink.  I can't be sure how much he ate, or what else he ingested.   I am assuming it was only the turkey and he did have the bag of gizzards in his mouth as well.  At what point should I take him to the vet?  It's been 2 whole days and it hasn't improved.  I have been feeding him a bland diet of rice and pumpkin, I've given him immodium and it's not any better.  On Thursday night I had to wake up every 2 hours for him to go outside, however on Friday he didn't have to go as frequently, and last night he did not have to get up during the night to go either.  

He isn't acting abnormal, and hasn't vomited.  There is no blood or anything either, and he isn't straining to go, so I don't think there is any obstruction.  He does have gas too...

I was thinking of getting him some raw chicken wings today, and maybe fasting him for 24 hours after that...should I try that first?  I want to avoid the vet because they will charge me over $100 to probably just tell me to wait it out and fast him. 

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We just had Eisa to the vet a few weeks ago, for the squirts and gas.  We don't know what caused it, but two hours at the vet, an x-ray and $500 later, the vet concluded she had gas in her intestines, most likely caused by either bacteria or something she ate that was spoiling in her gut.  We starved her for 24 hours.  If you keep feeding them, the dilemma will continue, trust me.  The vet also put her on antibiotics as a precaution.  We then put her on a diet of steamed rice, browned ground turkey, and scrambled eggs.  She was on this for three days, then we started to transition her back to her kibble.  The antibiotics were given twice a day for ten days.  She was fine after about two days into it.

I'm with Mazz on this one, my kids tend to have cast iron stomach but every now and then they get something that produces undesirable results.  For 24 hours I'll cut them back to about 1/2 their normal food. If that doesn't help then starve them for 24 (more or less) and go with rice and a bit of kibble for a couple of days.

He probably picked up some bad bacteria from that turkey, turkey, that's making his stomach "not work right" and when you're adding food to that, you're just giving the bacteria more food to work with.  If you cut / eliminate the food, normal stomach acid should take care of the bad guys.

Obviously, when you hit about 3 days of low / no food and he's still squirting, it's time for the vets.

Ok I've been feeding him just rice and pumpkin for 2 days but I might have been giving him too much. I'll fast him until tomorrow and see how it goes. If it's still squirting I'll probably take him to the vet Monday

The reason he needs to be fasted first is to give his body a total rest in order to calm down and sort itself out. Any food, even rice and pumpkin needs digesting first, only fasting can give a total break.

From what you've said there is some progress already, if he's not going overnight now then that's a step in the right direction. Fingers crossed he continues to pick up over the coming days. :)

Yeah, I will have to fast him them.  I fed him rice and pumpkin this morning at 6, so I will skip his evening meal and see how his poo is tonight and tomorrow morning and go from there.  He's not going to be happy lol!

Well this evening it was more in between pudding and soft serve ice cream lol so it's an improvement. I did give him 2 raw chicken wings to help with the runs and because I felt bad because he was so hungry and I had to feed the other 2.

He's acting 100% normal though

Well this evening it was more in between pudding and soft serve ice cream lol so it's an improvement. I did give him 2 raw chicken wings to help with the runs and because I felt bad because he was so hungry and I had to feed the other 2. He's acting 100% normal though

There's two foods to add to the never eat again list; pudding and soft serve ice cream. At least things are improving.

OK, so we now add rice pudding to the list. Whatever it may resemble, for all that is holy, do no refer it to resembling yogurt. I love yogurt. Speaking of which, some plain yogurt might be good for Kodiak in a day or two. Helps reintroduce good bacteria back into their tummy.

Yeah I forgot about yogurt!  I need to get some.

I felt bad for him this morning..I would not let him have his kibble until I saw his poo lol.  He had a chicken wing, and he did have a normal poop this morning so I was happy!!  I gave him a little bit of rice and chicken after that, so hoping that the runny pudding poo is over!

I'm really happy he's getting back to normal, whatever that is with Huskies :)

It's no fun when they have an upset tummy for us or for them. Our puppy had a runny tummy for several days and I ended up taking him to see our vet as it just went on for too long, and as he was mal nourished and under weight before we rescued him, I couldn't take the risk. I'm happy to say he's been 'solid' for about 10 days now, though I'm always checking out his 'produce' as I'm paranoid it could happen again.

So when should I just take him to the vet? 

Here is the series of events:

Wednesday 11/26 - 6:00pm - Ate raw turkey

Thursday night/Friday morning (12am - 6am) - Developed diarrhea

Friday morning/evening - Started bland diet of rice/pumpkin

Saturday - Started Fasting

Sunday morning - normal "ish" poo, started back on bland diet

Sunday night/Monday morning - More diarrhea

Monday morning - Started Fasting again

Monday afternoon - diarrhea again

It's been 5 days now.  He is acting 100% normal, no blood, no straing, and he has been able to make it outside every time.  With the exception of Thursday night he hasn't gone any more frequently than normal. 

That's probably what I am guilty of.  They all eat at the same time, so I put Kodiak out and gave him a chicken wing. 

I'll try the no food thing again and see if it improves...otherwise I am going to the vet this week

Make sure he doesn't get any food whatsoever for 24 hours, be firm, no treats. Then if he's still not getting any better I'd be inclined to concede defeat and get down the vets for some extra help. Have you seen pro-kolin paste? Our vets prescribed it for ice but it's available non prescription and does firm up dietary indiscretions a treat. :D

Edit: just a thought but if it was a poultry overload that started this off then it's possible that giving more poultry is aggregating him more. Usually chicken wings firm them up but I'm thinking that as he ate too much turkey his body may be temporarily sensitive to poultry products right now? Just me thinking out loud.

Jason, take a look at this ... it's a pretty compact edition of what we've been saying. 

You might also want to consider:

Diarrhea - For diarrhea in dogs only, give Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate. (PLEASE DO NOT GIVE PEPTO OR KAOPECTATE TO CATS) Give 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds or 1 tablespoon per 15 pounds every 2 hours. If diarrhea does not improve after 3-4 doses, please contact us.

Thanks...I haven't been firm enough with the food, and I bet the chicken wings are just making it worse as well.  

I did try the pepto, I will give him some more. And I used immodium as well, so that didn't work too well.