Kodiak Still Has Diarrhea

Jay

While I realize I suggested the article which mentioned it, make sure you've looked at the recommendations for how much of either one to give him and I'd be real cautious about giving him both of them even if separated by a couple of hours or so .... 

You say that you've been remiss in starving him - but think of it this way.  If you take a petri dish and put a sucrose solution in it and then add yeast, you're going to have a flourishing colony of yeast for a while.  If, after a time, you stop adding a sugar or a starch to the petri dish, you're going to have some dead yeast.  Your dogs stomach is that petri dish with something growing in it, the more food you give it the longer it's going to continue to grow (the longer you're going to have to deal with "chocolate pudding") Unlike my hypothetical petri dish, your dogs stomach has the means to kill that bacteria if it's given the chance - normal stomach acid will do the job as long as that bacteria has nothing more to grow on ...

Do yourself and him a favour and let his stomach take care of itself ... it's a short term penalty (going hungry) for a potential long term gain. 

If you had said that you did completely starve him for the 24 hours and then started on the chicken and rice and he was still having problems then I'd say it was time to go to the vet ... I'm not sure that taking him to the vet might not be a bad idea all told, it has been a while since this started.

And I have a tendency to agree with Emma's comment, he ate poultry and is suffering for it, if it's a poultry borne bacteria then giving him the chicken wing may just have added fuel to the fire.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did try the Pepto, but I didn't use nearly enough according to that!  I only gave him 2 tablespoons twice...according to this he needs 4 tablespoons every 2 hours!!  I had to mix it with pumpkin and a small piece of chicken though...or he wouldn't eat it.  I tried forcing it but it just ended up all over the floor lol.  I need to get a syringe.  

Anyway, I was not firm on the food either, so I will try again :(  No breakfast tomorrow and just the pepto tonight and tomorrow.  

Do you think it's allright to mix a tablespoon of pumpkin and a very small piece of chicken to get him to take the pepto?

Personally, if it were me I wouldn't give him anything except water.  You don't know what the family of bacteria that's causing the problem so anything you put in his gut is a possible additive.  They did pretty good in the wild before they were (sorta) domesticated ... give his natural defenses a chance to take care of things.

Thanks, that does help alot and makes perfect sense!  I did not completely fast for the 24 hours, so I will try that first...how about mixing the pepto with just a little pumpkin and the piece of chicken?  Otherwise he won't eat it.

While I realize I suggested the article which mentioned it, make sure you've looked at the recommendations for how much of either one to give him and I'd be real cautious about giving him both of them even if separated by a couple of hours or so .... 

You say that you've been remiss in starving him - but think of it this way.  If you take a petri dish and put a sucrose solution in it and then add yeast, you're going to have a flourishing colony of yeast for a while.  If, after a time, you stop adding a sugar or a starch to the petri dish, you're going to have some dead yeast.  Your dogs stomach is that petri dish with something growing in it, the more food you give it the longer it's going to continue to grow (the longer you're going to have to deal with "chocolate pudding") Unlike my hypothetical petri dish, your dogs stomach has the means to kill that bacteria if it's given the chance - normal stomach acid will do the job as long as that bacteria has nothing more to grow on ...

Do yourself and him a favour and let his stomach take care of itself ... it's a short term penalty (going hungry) for a potential long term gain. 

If you had said that you did completely starve him for the 24 hours and then started on the chicken and rice and he was still having problems then I'd say it was time to go to the vet ... I'm not sure that taking him to the vet might not be a bad idea all told, it has been a while since this started.

And I have a tendency to agree with Emma's comment, he ate poultry and is suffering for it, if it's a poultry borne bacteria then giving him the chicken wing may just have added fuel to the fire.

lol just missed before I posted that last one!

Maybe I will try that first...nothing except water

Personally, if it were me I wouldn't give him anything except water.  You don't know what the family of bacteria that's causing the problem so anything you put in his gut is a possible additive.  They did pretty good in the wild before they were (sorta) domesticated ... give his natural defenses a chance to take care of things.

So, overnight Kodiak woke me up again at 3am to go outside, and had more runny poo.  Then this morning he had another runny poo, and I did not feed him.  But then I came home from lunch and it was completely normal :)

So, since dinnertime will be 24 hours, and he has had a normal poo, what should I feed him?  It seems that everytime I had given him rice mixture it just made it worse, so I am hesitant to give him anymore.  I thought I would give him a small amount of kibble (like 1/2 cup) for the next several meals before starting him back to normal.  Do you think this would be OK, or just make him go back to having runs?

Since he was good on his normal food, I think I'd go for several (a few?) light meals - that 1/2 cup sounds reasonable to me.  Give him a chance to digest and see how it goes. 

Do you know, maybe from past experience, if he's sensitive to rice? It'd be VERY unusual if he were but stranger things have happened.  You really don't get much more bland than plain cooked rice....

I'm not sure if he is, but he seems to have a more sensative stomach.  If he gets too much of something then he will get runny poo pretty easily. I will try the small kibble meals and go from there!

I'm not sure if it's relevant but most food poisoning for humans is from cooked rice. It is a very good carrier of bacteria when either not chilled or not heated through thoroughly if reheated. Has the rice been sitting about? I cooked up a load for my pup when he was poorly, but kept it in the fridge.

No, I actually went and bought a brand new box of rice and cooked it up, put it in the fridge.  Whenever any of my dogs have gotten diarrhea, the boiled rice has never worked for me.  I don't know if I am overcooking it, or feeding them too much of it, or what the deal is.  I follow the directions exactly too. 

I'm not sure if it's relevant but most food poisoning for humans is from cooked rice. It is a very good carrier of bacteria when either not chilled or not heated through thoroughly if reheated. Has the rice been sitting about? I cooked up a load for my pup when he was poorly, but kept it in the fridge.

No, I actually went and bought a brand new box of rice and cooked it up, put it in the fridge.  Whenever any of my dogs have gotten diarrhea, the boiled rice has never worked for me.  I don't know if I am overcooking it, or feeding them too much of it, or what the deal is.  I follow the directions exactly too. 

rice never works for me either with Luka. i just starve him for 24 hours and he's good as new afterwards.

Yeah, after starving him this morning his poop was fine at lunch.  Poor guy is about to eat Yukon pretty soon :o

rice never works for me either with Luka. i just starve him for 24 hours and he's good as new afterwards.

Rice alone does not work well with stopping runny poo. But if you don't wish to use rice mixed with boiled skinless chicken, give him some scrambled or boiled egg with a small amount of real cheese.