Husky tails...

Smithy

Yep another question about Husky tails, but not how much they curl, but, and I'm sorry to exclude those of you who have pure white Huskies, does your Husky have a dark / darker patch on the base of their tail? I'm sure that I read somewhere why they have it but now I'm curious if anyone elses Husky has it. Both Noushka and Smithy do and here's Smithy modelling his...

post-112-13585945645054_thumb.jpg

It is in fact where a scent gland is or was located. I say was because at some point they no longer were in need of the gland and genetics decided it wouldnt grow it anymore. However... Some huskies still have the gland especially those whose family tree had alot of Huskies who were kept outdoors. This gland is leftover from thousands of years ago when they were first being Bred from wolves. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

The patch that you are refering to is called the Scent Gland.. here is a description of what it looks like on your dog "There is a scent gland about 1/3 down the tail (usually has a dark patch of hair around it)" The Gland itsself is small so it is hard to find (you cannot see it with the naked eye). But it is on top of the tail about 1/3 of the way down. A huskies coat is usually a darker color around the gland. It looks like a circle or oval. If you have a white husky or a solid coated (red, or black with no delution) husky you can't use that trick. On a grey, sable or agouti dog you can usually find it easly because of the darker coat area or even a black or red with a deluted (sabled) coat)

this info came from a website

It is in fact where a scent gland is or was located. I say was because at some point they no longer were in need of the gland and genetics decided it wouldnt grow it anymore. However... Some huskies still have the gland especially those whose family tree had alot of Huskies who were kept outdoors. This gland is leftover from thousands of years ago when they were first being Bred from wolves. Hope this helps.

It would be interesting to know if wolves today, have that scent gland.

Is this dark spot a "purebred only" trait? If so that would explain why my boys may not/dont have it. Solo is developing color on his back, tail and legs so maybe

he might have it later, but chewy is completely dark except the white tip...the only thing that might be related is that at the base of chewy's tail the black and

silver stripe starts out very wide and then narrows about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way down. Hmmmm....

The patch that you are refering to is called the Scent Gland.. here is a description of what it looks like on your dog "There is a scent gland about 1/3 down the tail (usually has a dark patch of hair around it)" The Gland itsself is small so it is hard to find (you cannot see it with the naked eye). But it is on top of the tail about 1/3 of the way down. A huskies coat is usually a darker color around the gland. It looks like a circle or oval. If you have a white husky or a solid coated (red, or black with no delution) husky you can't use that trick. On a grey, sable or agouti dog you can usually find it easly because of the darker coat area or even a black or red with a deluted (sabled) coat)

this info came from a website

Great info, added to rep

@erika and chewy...

"The other major difference between wolves and Malamutes is the lack of a scent gland on the upper surface of the Malamute's tail." So what i am gathering from this is that the Malamute/Husky mix may or may not have the gland I would think that would be determined by which way the dog pulls, and from the look of Chewy you he looks more like a Malamute then a husky based on his size, tail, and colors... Don't get me wrong Chewy is a cute dog but that is why you may see that spot on the tail.

Info from " http://www.helium.com/items/1504164-dog-breed-facts-alaskan-malamute "