Weather Watch

Dunc

We have a severe weather alarm going on here. In just a few hours a total of TEN centimetres of snow has fallen down! Oh my, the world is going to end!! How can we now go to our work and without getting too late?! </sarcasm>

No really though. That's how the people in the Netherlands currently seem to respond to it. Our society is grinding to a half and our public transport also seems to be paralysed... It's -3 here. :rolleyes:

LMAO! Sounds like coastal BC!

Although I will give them this - humid cold is much worse than dry cold. It can get humid here, and is moreso than Alberta, but it isn't as bad as the regions near large bodies of water!

:yikes: I don't know if i would survive in those temps! It's -9 here at the moment and i feel like my fingers are gonna freeze and fall off!:dramaqueen:

LOL! It's surprising what you get used to! Again, I suspect that the humidex in the UK is rather higher than for us, and it makes a difference! We've had a damned mild winter though - usually we have weeks on end of those kind of temperatures, and we only got 4 days. Seasonally it should be about -20c low, -10 high right now, and we're at -11 low, +3 high! It's soooo nice because last winter was one of the worst on record, so this feels like a holiday!

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LMAO! Sounds like coastal BC!

Although I will give them this - humid cold is much worse than dry cold. It can get humid here, and is moreso than Alberta, but it isn't as bad as the regions near large bodies of water!

Look up the map for The Netherlands, we're surrounded by sea! I live 10km away from the sea, and on the other direction there is also a big lake only 17km away. Currently our humidity is 86% (so it feels like -8) but we've had 99% humidity with lower temperatures before. The huskies like it though!

We once had someone who lived in Scandinavia visiting the Netherlands in the winter. He commented that it feels colder here than anything he had every experienced in Scandinavia :jawdrop:

In an unrelated note: I just BIKED through this snow! It are times like this that I love having a mountain bike. It definitely felt the same as mountain biking though very rural (and rocky) areas, if not harder. After a while it gets a sport to not touch the ground until you get home, lol. The trip usually takes about 20 minutes but it took an hour today. Everything's better than having to walk it though :D

Look up the map for The Netherlands, we're surrounded by sea! I live 10km away from the sea, and on the other direction there is also a big lake only 17km away. Currently our humidity is 86% (so it feels like -8) but we've had 99% humidity with lower temperatures before. The huskies like it though!

We once had someone who lived in Scandinavia visiting the Netherlands in the winter. He commented that it feels colder here than anything he had every experienced in Scandinavia :jawdrop:

In an unrelated note: I just BIKED through this snow! It are times like this that I love having a mountain bike. It definitely felt the same as mountain biking though very rural (and rocky) areas, if not harder. After a while it gets a sport to not touch the ground until you get home, lol. The trip usually takes about 20 minutes but it took an hour today. Everything's better than having to walk it though :D

LOL, yeah, I know where the Netherlands is, hence the comparison to coastal BC and it's humidity!

A lot of people still commute on bikes around here in the winter too, and I think they're completely crazy, because we get a lot of snow! It's the wind generate from the speed (and who am I kidding, the difficulty - I never liked working hard on a bike!) that kills me!

LOL, yeah, I know where the Netherlands is, hence the comparison to coastal BC and it's humidity!

A lot of people still commute on bikes around here in the winter too, and I think they're completely crazy, because we get a lot of snow! It's the wind generate from the speed (and who am I kidding, the difficulty - I never liked working hard on a bike!) that kills me!

I love it! Especially since it's just impossible to drive with the car right now. If not for the slippery roads, it's definitely for the huge traffic jams we're having right now across the whole country (but also just within this city). Half of the trains have stopped driving, certain lines are malfunctioning so some trains have delays that go as far as 30 to 60 minutes :eek: This is not an exception, every winter is like this. The people are not used to anything here!

Sunday through to Friday look really exciting lol

This is what the rest of the year looks like here :rolleyes:

Now you know why everyone's so exited in the Netherlands that we can skate on natural ice. It only happens once in a few years, and when it's cold enough it only lasts a few days. We even have an 'ice journal' here at the moment :rolleyes:

This is what the rest of the year looks like here :rolleyes:

Now you know why everyone's so exited in the Netherlands that we can skate on natural ice. It only happens once in a few years, and when it's cold enough it only lasts a few days. We even have an 'ice journal' here at the moment :rolleyes:

That's not a good outlook for 2012 then hahaha

how cold???????????????????? freezing.gif

cold & sleet here :(

LOL! That's actually pretty seasonal for this time of year, here! We've had an unusually mild winter thus far! Right now it's -12c, with a wind chill to -22c, so the wind will probably make -26 seem much colder this evening!!! I'll be bundling up to my nose to take the dogs out this evening, that's for sure. Damned huskies love it!

We're in the middle of a blizzard today. Snow accumulation of approximately 8 inches and blowing winds, gusting to 40 mph. Just like when I was a kid. Haven't seen one of these since I was a kid. Schools, county offices, and most businesses closed. I walked to the shop to play online for a while - can't get my car out of the garage...

oh ...lucky you ...havnt seen a single snowflake yet .:(

More 'Heavy' Snow due on Friday according to the BBC:

[ATTACH=full]38182[/ATTACH]

It should start midnight on Thursday and last all day... Thankfully it's my last day at work Thursday and I won't be back in until Monday :)

oh ....send some to us ..pleeeeezee:(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...