The beach

Delene

I go to the beach almost every weekend. As I read they are not to be trusted off lead. I might not be able to go swimming with him. I have two other dogs that I take them all the time. There is a field were I let them roam free. Were I live it is very hot, so I'm guessing he will get exhausted very fast with the heat. The only problem I have, is that if I go to the beach with, what I read that they aren't trust able off lead I don't know what to do to let him run around at the beach or not. The beach would be very good since it's very hot here.

My two other dogs they do listen and come when I want them to come back and they never run very far away from me and listens very well. I was thinking if they bond in a pack they'd run together and if the two of them can come he will come back too, and it's very hot here so he will be tired pretty fast. But then again they can run miles and miles. So I need professional advice from husky owners when it comes to going to the beach with their huskies. It's more like a dog beach were I go. There are quite a few dogs there, but it's full of lizards and what can get them into that drive. I have a american pit bull terrier myself and they have high prey drive but she listens well when I call her.

Would you let them off lead when it comes to the beach, or I should try and find a plastic long leash that won't rust for him.

Delene,

I understand about the heat but to be honest it is hot all the time here in hawaii as well. Please trust me when I say this really doesnt slow a husky down much. Make sure to give the pup plenty of water too as sometimes they will not let you know they need it and will just keep on going and it is possible they will keep playing and running til they give themselves heat exhaution. On the issue of being Off Lead, I have known a few, who were fine off lead the trick is in training them at a young age. Chewy has gotten out the front door a couple of times and so long as I dont go nuts and take chase all I have to do is take a knee and call him back, but I have worked with him since he was 10 weeks old. Maybe your best choice is a long training lead though.

I train dogs and this will be my first time getting to train a husky. I don't want to risk anything that's why I asked. I go with bowl and water, we take breaks and give them water, then we continue on a walk. When they are half tired I let them off lead so they can cool down in the water. But my new puppy I won't take him on a long walk, the heat and all I think he will get over heated. I will start training immediately once he gets used to the house. I trained my dogs they know very well when the gates open to take the car out they don't run out on the street. I constantly tease them to go outside it's great for the training as soon as they take a step out I scold them. Only when leashed they know that they may go out.

Thanks for the advise. I will start training, and this sunday we will go to the beach as usually and we shall see how things go. :D

Huskies can adapt very well to both cold and hot climates. Their coats will insolate them from heat as well as cold to a certain degree. Just make sure he has plenty of drinking water and shade, and most importantly NEVER shave your Husky. As for the off lead bit please don't, I'll be honest here and sat that I used to let my Smithy off lead when he was younger and he came back 100%, until he reached the age of 2 and he caught a scent of something and was gone, luckily he did come back but only when he wanted to. Since that day he has been on lead since...

I read that part, because I was afraid he couldn't live here but their coat also protects them. I shall see if he reacts to the other dogs when they come back. Sadly beaches aren't fenced. I will go to petshops and see if I can find a waterproof leash, so then we all can have a great time at the beach.

I agree with Smithy, I know there are one or two on here that constantly walk their huskies of lead, and I am very jealous of them. Myshka used to walk off lead till she was 18 months old, then her prey drive took over the want to listen to us. If the beach has an enclosed are where you can take the pup off lead, then great, but I would train your husky from the day you get it to recall & be consistent with it. Only when you are 100% of recall, then walk it off lead, until then, don't tempt fate & buy a very long lead.

I got a 50 ft lead in case already. I'm pretty prepared so far. Great, I like challenges and the training. No beach here is closed unless it's a private beach but you have to pay and no dogs are allowed. I got an entire schedule of training for him and everything already. Or I might get him to kart me around the fields that's a great way to still be contained and somewhat free to run. But that's till he's fully grown.

BTW I like the fast replies. I thought I might get a reply or so in a day.

Eh, we're blooming quick on here ya know...tongue.gif

Ohh smithy - don't be giving us all your personal info! tongue.gif

I think on a 50ft line - they'd have just as much fun as if they were off lead - but with the long line you've got the added security of knowing they're not going to do a disapearing act on you

I trained my boys with their recall from being about 9 or 10 weeks old and let them off lead on a local field - I have learnt my lesson though and would never do it again unless in a fully enclosed area. They buggered off and ended up on a main road and I thank god for a couple who were walking their dog along the street and my boys went there for a sniff instead of under a car.

You will find people who do let their huskies off the leash, however as seen above it can happen one day where they simply decide they are not going to come back. The advice you will get from almost everyone who has huskies is to never let them of without being in an enclosed area, without exception. Personally I would stick to that advice. As Sarah said above, we did used to let ours off occasionally and they also had excellent recall. One day they just decided something else was more interesting, recall or not.

I took mine to the beach a few times in the summer, and all she did was sit under the lawn chair and pant. I felt sorry for her. Now that its cooling off and there arent many people on the beach, I can take her walking and running any time, and she does just fine off the lead. The beach where I go is about seventy feet wide and has a large berm at the landward side, so she cant just light off without me at least seeing where shes going. She does very well though, she usually just keeps running right by people, even when they have dogs, and she does well leaving dead things that wash up too. I just make sure to keep an eye on her so she doesnt get too far, and continuously work on her training. Keep in mind that you are responsible for whatever happens when you let her off the lead.