Your thoughts on Hybrids

Lana

I smell another 'interesting' thread. I didn't use to think/worry about hybrids until I lurked on this site for a while. . From my end, no issues with owning one if you already have one, no issues with rescuing one. I don't think I would condone the breeding/selling of hybrids. I will let others make more experienced contributions about the risks and implications of setting up new breeds.

But is the point to actually create a new breed or just to have a one-off? As you refer to goals, it sounds like establishing a new breed. I would be against that at this point.

Would Alaskans be considered hybrids? I personally don't have an issue with Alaskans, so maybe I should change my No to Mixed Feelings.

As far as I am concerned, the Siberian Husky is the direct descendant of the Chukchi sled dog - a dog bred over many thousands of years to do a specific job of work. Although their "job" no longer exists in the same way, I would not want them to change in any way and the only dog which I believe should be bred to the Siberian Husky is another top quality Siberian Husky.

Mick

As far as I am concerned, the Siberian Husky is the direct descendant of the Chukchi sled dog - a dog bred over many thousands of years to do a specific job of work. Although their "job" no longer exists in the same way, I would not want them to change in any way and the only dog which I believe should be bred to the Siberian Husky is another top quality Siberian Husky.

Mick

I agree im not a big fan. Huskies should be Huskies

im not to sure here, i voted only to be done by the experts, but im not sure tbh, and here is why.

the Chukchi through whatever method they used created the siberian husky they possibly bred the best most desirable dogs, to create what they wanted.

without people doing this we wouldnt have the dogs we have today. and although i wouldnt want anything but a siberian husky, could you imagine a siberian husky that behaved 100% of the time.

mind you its the little faults that make micha in my opinion you need some bad to appreciate the good.

I suppose if alaskans are hybrids then I thank the person everyday who decided to go ahead with the breeding - I would not have my boy if not - I think there is probably a limit to be reached at some point if its going to mean bad malformaties etc - my little girl wants a yorkiepoo which is not a true breed but is there because there is a demand for them - good and bad things really

Mick

Says it all.........

I haven't got a problem with people creating new breeds, but only if.......

(a) they want the dog to do a particular job for which there is no suitable existing breed.

(B) they are prepared to look after the interests of every single dog which "falls by the wayside" during the process. For example breed A might be an excellent retriever and breed B might be a fantastic terrier and you want to breed a ratter which will bring the rats to you rather than eat them. Obviously size will be a problem, so it will take several generations for you to breed the dogs down to a suitable size - result 100+ puppies which are surplus to requirements - what do you do with them as you, the breeder, are responsible. Eventually you get them down to the right size, but not all of them will retrieve. so you again refine the breeding programme to ensure you breed small ratters which will bring the rats back. Again this will take several generations with hundreds of unsuitable pups. This is just a "top of the head" example, but you see what I mean. When the majority of modern breeds were created in the 19th Century, it was quite acceptable for unwanted/unsuitable pups to be culled - shot or drowned in a bucket. This is not acceptable nowadays, nor is the flooding of an already overfull puppy market with unneccesary crossbreeds.

Mick

i dont have a problems with wolf hybreds at all, but i wouldnt breed them and sell them. theres no reason for it and i have no desire to do it. but i used to have one and my father brought him back from alaska and had him since i was born. his name was beardog and he was a good dog. never had a mean bone in his body and never showed signs of agression.

i actualy have been looking for a hybrid for a long time. not one from someonie who is breeding them but from a shelter.

hang on what are we talking about here?? i always associated hybrids with wolves/domestic dogs, zedonks, ligers etc. but it seems some are refering to crossbreeds??

crossbreeds - im happy to own one if its rescued but i wouldnt breed one

hybrid - i would love a wolf hybrid but the temperaments can be so varied i'd be worried about a wolf hybrid. plus the offspring are sterile (i dunno if this is true for dogs but it is for zedonks and ligers) so its pointless trying to make a 'new breed' out of hybrids

Pack Leader: My apologies, you are 100% right. I was thinking of cross breeding and not hybrids, however since we already comment both i would be interested in everyones opinion on both. Since i spoke on cross breeding (accident confused them both) i will speak again on hybrids.

I mentioned in a post about some1 offering me to breed Lana with a timberwolf. I had to say no! Not that i dont believe in hybrids but their temperament are unpredictable but most of all because I have small children. As stated before had i not have a family then sure i would get a hybrid.

Once again my apologies for confusing cross breeding and hybrids.

I am not a fan of wolf crosses as they require very special care that most people cannot accommodate. They usually end up being euthanized because of behavioral issues that are no fault of their own. As for cross breeding dogs... all domestic dogs were cross breeds of something at one point in dog evolution, that is how breeds have developed from wolves. Any dog can still be breed to a wolf to produce viable and fertile offspring, even a Pomeranian. So its not that I am against cross breeding, it actually strengthens the genetic pool. Hybrids are more genetically fit that pure breeds, there are less mutations that lead to things like hip dysplasia, etc. But.... people who do this need to have a purpose in mind and be responsible with the outcome. As is breeding horses, try to breed like to like to achieve a standard that will improve the dog, not detract (like a golden retriever head on a corgi body which I have seen and it was VERY creepy).

Since I'm not sure what this is about either crossbreeds or wolf hybrids ill comment on both.

Crossbreeds--- I have no problem with crossbreeds because that is what Dakota is Siberian husky/Akita mix. Best dog I ever owned. On breeding crossbreeds only if it was for a purpose not for just making money. I would never stud Dakota out or anything because I have no reason to. Yes I bought him from a breeder but she did not intentionally crossbreed it was an accident. (But IMO she is a bad breeder for other reasons)

Wolf Hybrids-- I have mixed feelings on this because wolves are so dangerous and are unpredictable. I have seen both in wolf hybrids either very sweet and sociable or ones that are so vicious no one can get near them not even the owner, all they do is sit in a kennel all day by themselves and to me thats no life for any animal.

I don't have problems with crossbreeds themselves, I own one.

I do have a problem with breeding them because I don't see the need nor the point to breed just for the sake of it. If I wanted to own a crossbreed or if anyone I know is looking at buying one I always recommend going to rescue because most of the dogs there are crossbreeds.

Breeding crossbreeds and breeding to develop a new breed are two completely different things.

I do have a problem with breeding them because I don't see the need nor the point to breed just for the sake of it. If I wanted to own a crossbreed or if anyone I know is looking at buying one I always recommend going to rescue because most of the dogs there are crossbreeds.

Breeding crossbreeds and breeding to develop a new breed are two completely different things.

I agree. Thats what we are going to do when we are ready for a second pup. Since we are not interested in papers or anything a shelter or a rescue is the perfect option for us. Thats really what we should have done in the first place but I can't regret the decision we made because I wouldn't have Dakota now if we would have went somewhere else.

I totally agree with smeagle. I also have 2 mix-bred huskies. I have fostered many purebreeds, all of which I rehomed. Huskies are extremely beautiful, I'm afraid that is their curse. Many people get them because they're beautiful. That is okay if you can take care of the husky as are the members of this forum. Huskies are also very difficult animals due to their activity needs, dominance issues and shedding. Therefore a lot of them are left because the owners just don't allocate the time that they require.

I rehome to many countries unless it requires a quarantine time like UK does (6 months). But you know what? 20.000 dogs were left by their families in the UK last year. That means there are 20.000 dogs who need homes, and that is only one year. I don't know the statistics about the breeds of these dogs, but I bet a good percentage of them were huskies as it is so in many parts of the world. To sum up, please don't breed. There are already many out there who have miserable lives because they were left by their families.

Think of you own dog and how s/he'll be in a shelter (or in the streets if there are strays in your country) if you left her/him. Then think about somebody like you adopting and changing her/his life forever. Anyone who wants to adopt a dog has the opportunity to change a dog's life. In many cases this change is from being put to sleep to sleeping in a cosy home.

Hybrids are an interesting concept but I stand by the idea that a full breed dog is a full breed dog, and hybrids are mixes. While some breeds are ok as mixes, others are not and no one should be attempting to change a breed by breeding 2 different dogs together. The problem with doing this is that it gives bybers and others a reason to believe that they are doing the world a favor by mixing dogs together that may not only have different behavior, traits and genetics...but that its perfectly acceptable. Please dont think badly of me for these and the next statement (because I adore dogs and I always have) but to be honest the worst dog I ever had came from a breeder who breeds so called hybrids. This dog was the most tempermental creature on the planet and he simply refused to be trained. He peed everywhere, barked at everything, tore my house up and growled at my kids. He was a so called hybrid of Chihuahua and Terrier (I only got him because he was in rescue and I wanted to open my home to a rescue at the time). That was the most high strung dog i ever met and people here breed them to sell as hybrids that go for top dollar, instead of keeping to one breed that is already established. While mixes commonly have less health related/genetic illnesses or defaults, they also can have the worst behavior traits from each of the 2 breeds they are made of. Its a huge gamble, and most of the time these dogs end up in shelters and rescues because people arent sure what to do with them. I knew going in that since the dog was small breed he would likely attach to one person in the home and be slightly difficult, but after 7 months I had to find him a home with people who didnt have children and who had had experience with very high strung little dogs. Im not proud to admit this but Im not the only one to ever experience this im sure. I say keep it clean...established breeds of dog were bred to be the way they are based on specific qualities and traits...straying from that seems way too risky.

Also I would like to add...that with Chewy it really was the "luck of the draw." even though he is a mix of two of the friendliest most loving breeds and is healthy and wonderful...he could well have ended up like 3 of his littermates. I have seen three of his fellow pups being rehomed two more times since they went home with the origional owners, and one of the 3 has already seen the inside of the local humane society. The really big gamble for the pups is that if they are not what people expect...then it ends up being the pup who loses. Not only does it have to do with traits of the dog but also with the traits of the owner(s). Unexperienced owners are the biggest risk of all.

Also I would like to add...that with Chewy it really was the "luck of the draw." even though he is a mix of two of the friendliest most loving breeds and is healthy and wonderful...he could well have ended up like 3 of his littermates. I have seen three of his fellow pups being rehomed two more times since they went home with the origional owners, and one of the 3 has already seen the inside of the local humane society. The really big gamble for the pups is that if they are not what people expect...then it ends up being the pup who loses.

To add to that, not a husky but a Greyhound (so according to some a husky ;) ) crossed with something, maybe a Weimeraner (sp?) - this is what mike's parents have got, they were gypsy dogs and in the village where they live mike's mom heard about some puppies the gypsies were going to drown if they couldn't find homes, well they took one and the others went to different people around the village, all the others have serious temperament issues, Molly is the only one who is placid etc...she has issues of her own, but most of these are down to being taken away from the mother at 4 weeks and straight to us (not thru choice before everyone jumps on the band wagon).

So yes you will potentially get one 'good' dog out of crossbreeding/hybriding (not a word i know) but what is the point in that? What about the other pups from the litter...they don't stand a chance.