New Husky Owner

JasonP

Hi All,

I just picked up Piper, an 8 week old female Siberian. She's my first Husky and in the week I've had her it's obvious she's going to be a wonderful addition to our fam.

She's got two sisters, Chloe a 9 Year old Wheaton Terrier and McKenzie a 6 Year old Cockapoo. First couple days were a bit rough with the old dogs getting use to so much new energy in the house and the pup learning not all dogs like to play as rough as her...but I'm happy to say that after a couple of days and a lot of together time for the 3 girls they are all going to coexist wonderfully and have a lot of fun.

Piper is pretty much what I expected from my research before I got her, full of energy, very palyful and smart as a whip. Although, research can't prepare you for the joy of actually having a husky, they are like no other dog I've spent time around.

I'll be doing a lot of research here for the regular puppisms these dogs have and to try to make sure I do my part to train her in a way that's fun for her and benneficial to both of us.

So far I've started to get her nipping under control by yelping like a dog and if the nipping continues taking my attention away. It's a process and the couple days I've been trying have kind of felt like each morning we're starting over but I know this is no overnight process. So, I'm happy with the progress we're making in a short time.

She's very smart and seems to get the sit,stay,come down as long as we're inside and there are NO distractions. But, The second we try to recreate the commands outside...nope, just too many interesting things for the puppy to look at , smell and taste.

One of my main goals is to try to be able to command Pipers attention better. She's really bad on the leash as a result of this lack of attention. She likes to walk with me perfect as can be then bolt to a shrub or bush, nip at the branches, eat a flower, smell the grass. She'll also decide to just sit...or should I say drop down, I know this is'nt from fatigue as it can happen even after only being outside for a couple of minutes with no real exertion. So , I need to continue the positive reenforcement when she does manage to stay with me.

She's doing awesome with the potty training, As long as I take her out every couple hours during the day she will do her business outside. She is having an accident per night in her crate and maybe one very small pee during the day, so I'm still honing the schedule down but from my experience with my other pup's, I feel like Pipers way ahead of where they were.

SO before I post some crappy iphone pics, couple questions:

I'm feeding her 1 can of wellness puppy food a day with some dry food mixed in, we give her half a can twice a day and a small cup of dry food with each feeding. Her stomach seems to like it as she has not gotten sick since the first night we brought her home. My question is, is one can per day plus a small cup of dry food enough for this growing puppy ? She eats twice, once about 8 AM and again at about 5:30 with some small treats mixed in throughout the day. Our Vet thought this was a good amount to start with

About the leash training. Most of the issues I read about were relating to dogs pulling, what's the best way to deal with a dog who's doing the opposite, sitting or lying down while your walking and not wanting to move ? I'd like to start trying heel training so she can expand her horizons a bit but she needs to stay of 4 feet for that.

Enough talk...Meet Piper

photo-1654.jpg

photo-2115.jpg

hey jason, piper is a good looking girl. the forum seems a little sow today so i am sure you will get some good answers to your questions. i have no idea about the food as we've gone the dry food route with a touch of wet food for taste.

regarding her not walking, lol, for the first month we had kaiya she wouldn't walk past the end of the street. it took a lot of persistience on our part, you have to get her to walk a bit further each time, and it took a lot of treats. we found that once we rounded the corner with kaiya to point where she couldn't really see our house, she would start to walk much better. another option that may work for you, walk another one of your dogs with her or a bit infront of her. best of luck and just keep working on it!

oh, almost forgot. regarding the nipping, we did the "yelp" thing with Kaiya as well, but at first we weren't really doing it right. you need to do it loud and sharp to where it startles her. we were too quiet initially and it wasn't working. fortunately our neighbor is a trainer and showed us how it does work. much better after that.

Welcome to the pack :D

Wow she's gorgeous!! Hello Piper :wave:

At 8 weeks she's not old enough to go on "proper" walks yet as she won't have had her vaccinations so i'd stick to in house training for the moment. Lots of treats and patience are they key - positive reinforcement (and don't praise bad behaviour, just give lots of praise for the good)

They are a very intelligent breed and will always weigh up the pro's and cons before a command lol ;)

Not sure on the feeding question, different foods require different amounts per meal because of the ingredients in them but as long as she's a good weight she's ok :)

good point saz i was thinking the same thing about her walking outside and her vaccinations she needs 2 vaccs and then a week/2 weeks inside b4 she can go on walks and ive heard most ppl stick 2 a 5 mins per month walk and then tire their pups out with training instead as 2 not over exercise her and cause problems over time due 2 bone grown

she is gorgeous btw n cnt w8 2 c sum more pics ov her as she grows up :)

Hi, Jason, welcome to the pack :wave:

Piper is absolutely stunning! Sounds like you have a typical husky there, energy ball on legs!

Some good advice about exercise & feeding been given, try browsing through the food & diet section & the health & training section, there's loads in there, too :)

Look forward to chatting with you around the forum, & please keep the pics coming! :D

Thanks again for the warm welcome....Happy to say Piper made it through the night last night sans accidents and then slept til 7AM which was AWESOME !

I have been searching around, this place is awesome and I look forward to sharing and reading about the Husky experience.

Hi Jason. Welcome aboard. Piper is sure a cutie. Her mask is really cool. Good luck with your training. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

Hello Jason and everyone, I am a new husky owner as well. We picked Hugo up last Saturday. He is 9 weeks now. I started potty training right away. I had a really hard time potty train the first week. This is my first time to have a puppy at my house. I wrote every single time when Hugo went to potty. I am also using crate. He cried and cried and cried all day and night the first week but I tried to make Hugo think that crate is a nice place with a lot of toys and treats etc..I am still struggling but it is getting better and better...I am not getting enough sleep but when I see Hugo, I forget how tired I was..any advice from anyone is appreciated.