Hello, hello!!

Calia

Hello, and allow me to introduce myself and my pack. First off, my name is Beth, I live in Long Island, NY and am a doggy addict. About a year ago, my boyfriend and I had both decided to take on the responsibility of not one but two dogs, a Sibe and a shiba inu (their intros will come shortly). Even though the Sibe is technically his and the shiba is technically mine, that really only applies to the bills and who holds which leash.

We are both dedicated to our pups, doing what we can to make all of our lives as fun and fulfilling as possible. We have been taking both our boys (OMG, two male dogs in one household, LOL) to an obedience school ever since the Sibe, the younger of the two, was neutered at 6 months. We follow positive reinforcement, never once putting a choke chain or prong collar around their necks, and have found it to be quite rewarding. Surprisingly enough, both pups are doing really good and are surprising even the instructor with how well they listen. Both our boys have earned their CGC titles, and we couldn't be more proud of them. We are also practicing some light weekend agility, a little bit of bikejoring, and possibly considering doing some Rally with them.

I have been more on the shiba side of things, frequenting a shiba forum, organizing shiba meet ups and volunteering for the NYC shiba rescue, but I would also like to get more involved in the Sibe community. We do hope to foster once we really settle into our future house, but haven't decided if it will be shiba, husky or another breed. We'll see:)

Any ways, intros of the pups are needed.

As I've mentioned before, we have two boys, and they are about three months apart. Tetsu is my Black and Tan shiba inu and he is the older of the two, though for some reason everyone things he's either a puppy or an Alaskan Klee Kai (which I find funny due to the rarity of the AKK breed). He weighs in at 19 lbs and gives Tikaani, My bfs Siberian Husky boy of 60lbs, a decent workout. They get along really well, with few arguments and lots of running (even inside the house). Tikaani we got from a breeder, Tetsu from someone who didn't understand why puppies aren't automatically housebroken.

Tikaani did have a bumpy start when we first brought him home. After two days of living with us, his health deteriorated and he had to be rushed to the vet. After IVs, tons of antibiotics, quite a bit of $$ and delaying vaccinations until he got better (at 5 months old); Tikaani is now a healthy, energetic and friendly boy. He is pretty mellow for a Sibe and takes 'abuse' pretty well. Since he has such a great personality, we plan on making him a therapy dog as how often do you see a 'wolf' doing this sort of work.

Along with these guys, we also have two fluffy kitties, Safyre and Torch (of which Tikaani loves to clean and sit on, at the dislike of the kitties), as well as a few geckos.

Ok, anyways, I bet your all dying for some doggy spam, so here are some pics of my boys and the cats:

Here's puppy pic. of when we first brought him home. Both pups weighed 9lbs:

3073191342_d62308960d.jpg

And here they are, a couple of months ago:

Picture204-1.jpg

His fave breeds to play with are shibas and pibbles (pitbulls). Tikaani especially loves to sit on this one shiba, who just asks for it:

DSCN5202.jpg

If you are a Long Islander and have been to Blydenburgh dog park, this may be a familiar sight:

Picture027-1.jpg

DSCN5643.jpg

We do have taken our boys on quite a few trips already, especially doggy meet ups, and I'm just amazed at how good they are in the car. We've brought them to Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin just to hang out with other crazy dog people; yeah, that's how much we love these breeds.

Here they are when we camped in Massachusetts:

Picture049-1.jpg

And here they are on the trip back from Wisconsin (yes, Tikaani is sleeping on Tetsu):

DSCN4757.jpg

Well, that's it for now. If you guys have any questions, concerns, or comments; then feel free to ask away.

hey welcome to the site im afraid u might not get any replies 2 ur post as about 20 ov our members + admin are currently on a camping/meet up trip yes with their huskies :) ur boys r gorgeous thnx for the pics specially love the 1 ov tikanni sittin on the other dog lol feel free 2 ask ANY questions u have the members who are still here are very helpful and friendly and im sure the members who are away till monday if they cant get online when they r there (yes they have took laptops ive heard - committed or what!? lol) will help when they are back :)

Beth, welcome. What an awesome pair you have. Great pics! There is so much to read and share on this site. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.