Yet another n00b

Hello, all.

I was recently held hostage at gun point and forced to pick up 2 Huskies. :awink: OK, so a friend of mine just landed a job at the local animal shelter and began telling me of a beautiful female Husky that came in the same day she started. Went down the next day to take a look, and fell in love. She was so well-behaved in the little kennel, and rolled over to have her belly rubbed. I couldn't resist!

While walking around the shelter, I noticed a male Husky tucked back into a corner. He didn't have her markings, looked rather rough, but those blue eyes just looked so sad! I'll never forget how he looked!

So that was all Saturday. I picked her up Thursday. They held her to be spayed, only to find out she already had been! When I picked her up, we paid for the male, who had to be held to be neutered. We brought him home Saturday.

She is, according to the shelter, about 2 years old. It's my belief she came from a loving family where she was probably the only dog. She plays very well with others (the male, the chihuahua we're dog-sitting, others at the dog park) but believes firmly that she should be the only one getting any attention. She is getting much better about this, but once the petting stops, she'll nip at the male. She hasn't done any damage, and doesn't go at him aggressively; mainly she'll nibble on an ear or put one of his legs in her mouth. No puncture wounds yet, and as soon as I notice the behavior I put an end to it. She is already house broken, and is a real treat. She still pulls on walks, but is getting better at walking along side. She has some natural instinct to protect. She puts herself between other dogs and the chihuahua (or any small dog) and whatever breed happens to be barking at the dog park. When the male was chasing around my son (playfully, no jumping or biting) she put herself between the two of them. She doesn't growl or bark or nip when doing this, she just gently nudges and "herds" them away from whomever she feels needs protecting. Very interesting behavior! Anyway, she's a doll! For her, we have chosen the name Naala, meaning gift.

He, also according to the shelter, is about 2 years old. To me, he seems to have been living on the streets for about a year or so. Where it's obvious Naala had a hair cut within the last 6 months, it's obvious he has not. He was absolutely filthy and he stunk! He took to the collar and leash well, but pulls on walks more than Naala does, though he is improving. He is not house broken, but we are working on that and I do think he'll be fine. He has taken to sitting rather well, and is showing signs of being a very quick learner. He's much more willing to please, whereas Naala is more headstrong (she sits at her discretion). He is well-behaved, though he likes to get a little too excited when meeting other dogs on our walks. I'm working on his excitement and keeping him under control, though I think this will be the toughest issue for us. Despite being roughly the same age (according to the shelter), he seems much more immature. I'm confident he'll come along just fine, though. He needs to learn about us, and I need to learn about him! Oh, and despite my protests, the Disney fans in the name have named him Simba. (Lion King, Simba and Naala)

At any rate, that's the basics, I suppose. Both head to the vet tonight for a free checkup, courtesy of the shelter. Both will be groomed on Sunday.

Glad to have found the site!

Welcome to the madhouse ! well done you rescuing 2 husky`s... well you've got your hands full there !!!!!!!!!! sure the girls will be along soon demanding loads of pics of your furbies... ask loads of questions if you feel the need to someone will be around to help.

Oh you are such a sucker...just like the rest of us LOL!!! No worries, I would likely have done the same thing if I was in a position to do so.

Welcome to husky owners, and on behalf of huskies everywhere...thank you for making sure that 2 more have found homes and are no longer waiting in shelters!

Please be sure to ask any questions or share any stories the people here on husky owners are always happy to help or have a good laugh...lol.

Please upload some pics of your huskies when you can...we would all love to see them!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll certainly see what I can do to get some pics up over the next few days.

Sibe77, haircuts are not recommended? I'll go with that suggestion, but as I'm trying to learn, can I ask why? For somewhat mangy, ratty looking hair, what is recommended? Just a simple grooming and shampooing? I've seen so many other Sibes, both pictures online, in person, etc, and they look so much....better. Don't get me wrong, I find my two absolutely beautiful. Just their coats need some work, I guess.

As for other info, I did fail to mention that both appear to be a tad underweight. She's about 42 pounds, and seems like 5 to maybe 10 pounds more would do her some good. He, I believe, is at 47, and appears to need a few pounds as well. His spine is very noticeable when petting him. I understand these weights are within the acceptable range; they just appear much more slender than other Sibes I have encountered. Diet right now is Beneful, being very careful not to over feed. Naala sometimes just won't eat (she's obviously been fed table scraps, judging from behavior), though she's eating enough to get by without concern. Simba is a beast and will eat everything you put in front of him. I don't want to feed him too much too soon, as I want any weight gain to be healthy. While I am mentioning this to encourage feedback from you all, please be advised that I will be discussing their weight with the vet tonight, as well as diet. I have not yet worked out a feeding schedule, but would like to do so by the end of the week, to include times and measured amounts. I want to be as consistent as possible, with the expectation that there will be times where the feeding schedule is adjusted due to other aspects of life.

OK, so I should labeled the thread "Another *rambling* n00b!" Hehe!

Thanks again for the welcome, folks!

sibes need there fur to keep warm in winter but also it helps them cool in summer..... they may look manky but nothing a good brush wont cure....lol as for feeding do a search as this has been covered a few times. sibes come in different shapes and sizes depending on there breeding.....thinner ones from race lines.. bigger fluffy ones from show lines... hope this helps ...

ha, I wanted to have a simba and nala as well...... but I was out-voted. we are looking for our second now, when we find one if she still needs a name it will be nala.

regarding the grooming, no haircuts, just a lot of brushing (maybe a warm bath would help as well to loosen any matted/shed fur)

welcome to the site.

Hi and welcome, and well done for rehoming :)

don't beat yorself up about a haircut.

True to say its not the standard practice to cut a sibes fur, but without actually setting eyes on your boy, you shouldn't be slated for doing so. If hes thick coated and was in a real mess and especially if that mess includes matts, you have done him way more good than harm (Yes, ive had a rescue or two through the door with coats in awful condition, and clippers are the only decent way to remove solid matted lumps) His coat will soon grow back. Maybe just protect him from cold with an old t-shirt/ sweatshirt if need be.

Look forward to seeing pics :)

Hi and welcome, and well done for rehoming :)

don't beat yorself up about a haircut.

True to say its not the standard practice to cut a sibes fur, but without actually setting eyes on your boy, you shouldn't be slated for doing so. If hes thick coated and was in a real mess and especially if that mess includes matts, you have done him way more good than harm (Yes, ive had a rescue or two through the door with coats in awful condition, and clippers are the only decent way to remove solid matted lumps) His coat will soon grow back. Maybe just protect him from cold with an old t-shirt/ sweatshirt if need be.

Look forward to seeing pics :)

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

There's no matting to the hair. I can't really find a good way to describe it. He's had a gentle bath, and that helped with the dirt and the stench is basically gone. His coat basically looks like...he's had a rough year without anyone really caring for him. I'll work more on brushing him, as he doesn't mind it at all, and loves the attention.

As for the cold, being in Southern California, it's not too bad. This winter we shouldn't get much lower 40, though we may have a few nights in the mid 30s. The dogs are indoors at night (despite him not being housebroken yet, he knows better than to pee in our room at night). I certainly was not going to have him completely shaved, though. I'll still take him to the groomers, me thinks, just for a good bath and shampoo, though there won't be any trimming.

Thanks again for the insight!

Hi - Great Intro thread - added to rep :)

Welcome to the pack!!

Can't wait to see some pics :D:D We're kinda picture mad here lol

Looking forward to getting to know you, feel free to ask anything and everything xx

Yeah grest intro to thread :grinning-smiley-003 added to rep aswel.

Hey ya Demiurge, Simba & Nala, :wave:

Welcome to the pack!! well done on you for rehoming your new fuzzballs ( LOL.... Love your story of being held at gun point he he ha ha ) :D

Hope you enjoy the site and make lots of friends chatting about this lovely breed. I defo want to see some pics of Simba & Nala!! Please feel free to ask any questions cause everyone is really nice on here and very happy to help :D Look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Welcome to the pack, Demiurge, Simba & Naala, :wave:

What a wonderful life you have given these poor dogs, I bet they can't believe their luck! You will be rewarded ten-fold with love from these two :)

Don't worry too much about their coats at this stage - by the time they've blown their coat once or twice, I'm sure you'll see a marked difference. Also try giving fish with their meals, the oils will do wonders for them. I feed mine dry kibble mixed with mackerel, tuna or sardines in sunflower oil & my rescue, Diesel, his coat has become much softer in 6 weeks of having him (that's with 1 bath, grooming weekly & the fish oils).

I look forward to chatting with you more around here, if you have any questions or quiries, post up, somebody here will have the answer, I'm sure! (Oh, yeah, & we'd LOVE to see some pics ;) )

Thanks, folks!

Zebedee, appreciate the tips on fish with their meals. I'm assuming you mean raw fish that's been de-boned? Do you mix in their food with every meal, or just a few times each week? Oh, and why sunflower oil? So much to learn!

The vet last night had great things to say. Naala is probably 12 to 14 months, Simba 10 to 12. Much younger than we thought! She was extremely impressed with their behavior, and continued to remark on how well-behaved they were. Although she did say that Simba has some ADD. LOL!

Anyway, so far so good! Thanks again for the welcome and the tips.

Zebedee, appreciate the tips on fish with their meals. I'm assuming you mean raw fish that's been de-boned? Do you mix in their food with every meal, or just a few times each week? Oh, and why sunflower oil? So much to learn!

I use tinned, filleted fish which comes in sunflower oil, if you get the stuff in brine or tomato sauce, it is too salty & is not good for their system .... As I feed dry food, I add it to one meal a day (they get fed morning & night) but will vary it with raw mince, or raw beef or chicken to vary their diet. I know some on here give their sibes a raw egg weekly, too. There are lots of threads about different foods & what is good & what is not in the Food & Diet section on here

Hope that helps :D

I use tinned, filleted fish which comes in sunflower oil, if you get the stuff in brine or tomato sauce, it is too salty & is not good for their system .... As I feed dry food, I add it to one meal a day (they get fed morning & night) but will vary it with raw mince, or raw beef or chicken to vary their diet. I know some on here give their sibes a raw egg weekly, too. There are lots of threads about different foods & what is good & what is not in the Food & Diet section on here

Hope that helps :D

Thanks! I did some reading up in the food forum yesterday, and am sure to be back in there several times over the next few days.

One thing I forgot to mention: While I had the firm belief that both were underweight, even if just by a few pounds, the vet said they are perfect. She's at 44, and he's at 48. That should make it a lot easier to spot mistakes! If they can maintain a healthy weight, I'll be perfectly happy.

Welcome and bles syou for making two rescues! (a special :grinning-smiley-003 for noticing Simba in the background!)

As has already been suggested, a good diet will do wonders for this pairs coats. Whether you choose a good kibble, raw or BARF, there's sure to be someone here who can help you along.

Again, welcome! And yes, we'll need LOADS of pictures!

Welcome and bles syou for making two rescues! (a special :grinning-smiley-003 for noticing Simba in the background!)

As has already been suggested, a good diet will do wonders for this pairs coats. Whether you choose a good kibble, raw or BARF, there's sure to be someone here who can help you along.

Again, welcome! And yes, we'll need LOADS of pictures!

Thanks!

And since you brought it up, I get to ask! Hehehe. What the heck is BARF? I've seen the thread, seen it mentioned tons of times, but come on. I'm assuming it's some sort of acronym? Blissfully anticipating raw food? :rolleyes: No, probably not it.