Myshka's eye

About 6 months ago, Myshka was nosing in the garden & scratched her eyelid, we took her to the vet & got some cream & the scratch healed up.

Last week, the area where she had scratched came up in a black scab, so we booked her back in to the vets - over the next 24 hrs, the 1 scab became 4 :eek:

The usual vet said on the Monday she didn't have the equipment there but Myshka needed a skin scrape to see what was happening now & booked her into the main head office clinic the next morning. Last Tuesday, we took her but Myshka wouldn't let the vet & nurse near her eye to take the scrape or hair plucks so we had to book her in to be sedated. The earliest appointment for that was today, so we took her this morning & left her there.

We got a call to collect her at 4pm where the vet said they'd be in touch soon with the results & what we could do to sort the problem. Myshka is not the calmest, quietest husky on the planet, but I know she's feeling pooh cos she's sat on the sofa with me since she came home & slept. She doesn't even want her tea or to bite Diesel's ears ...

Here's my poor baby with her sore eye feeling sorry for herself...(her eye looks a lot worse due to the scrape, etc)

Myshka_s_eye_copy.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi val- that does look a tad infected, but i'm sure the vet had a better look than we do through the picture. curious to hear what the results are, seems a little strange that something like that would come back. any idea what she nosed into to scratch it in the first place?

Thank you all for your messages, she's been sleeping on the settee with me which isn't her at all, usually only get 5 mins then she's off!

That looks quite infected. Has she had a course of antibiotics?

No, Lyn, none of the vets have given us anything, cream or anything & it is itchy for her, we just have to try & stop her scratching as she makes it bleed. They are just 4 black scabs. I think it may be a mite or something like that, but we'll have to wait for the results. She was given Ceporex antibiotic cream & Fucithalmic eye drops when she first scratched the lid but nothing this time.

any idea what she nosed into to scratch it in the first place?

I think it was a bramble, we have a few growing through the back fence from rough ground behind the garden with blackberries on, we think she was trying to get the fruit & caught herself on the thorns

Gizmo sends all his loves to his extra special girlfriend :)

aw, Thank You, Gizmo, when I said your name, her ears pricked up! That's the most she's moved all night! xx

Hi Val,

Poor Myshka, I hope she is feeling better very soon. Jersey is going through the same thing at the mo. She had her appointment on Monday. The vets took three skin biopsies & five skin scrapings from around her eyes & chin. They originally thought she suffered from hay fever but the problem has continued. They also prescribed a course of Cephorum antibiotics after the procedure. She has also had two courses of steriods since the beginning of September, which cleared up the problem, but then it just came back a week later :verwirrt: They are trying to pinpoint with the tests what she is allergic to, we'll be keeping all fingers & paws crossed that they find ot whats wrong with both our girls & may they both be very well again very soon. :) xxxxx

That's a good idea, Sinead, never thought of that (yet when my lads were babies, one of the first things I bought was scratch mitts! DUH!) I'll have a look into that, it might solve the problem (or, knowing Myshka, it'll be something else to chew!)

Rep added, thanx! x

aw, wow, Bo, thanks - she's never had one of them before .... a peanut butter treat, I mean!! xx

Still no call today, though she has stopped scratching it so it mustn't be irritating her but it hasn't gone away ... I am a very patient person, but I WANT THAT PHONE TO RING!!

Lisa, any news on Jersey?

Well - still no call, so we called them & they said they only had half the results back for now, it shows the marks are not made by mites or ticks or whatever, but what it IS due to is still anyone's guess .... Steve told the surgery we were waiting for the call, they said "you should have been told it would take 3-4 weeks for us to grow the culture & test it" - in the meantime, Myshka's still scratching at it, but not loads. Steve told them she's still scratching & asked what can we do in the mean time, so they asked him to take her in @ 5.10 today. They've given us Surolan steroid drops & Synulox antibiotics to use until the other results come back.

Up to now, it has cost 21 for the original consultation (where we were told "I haven't got the equipment, she'll have to go to the main surgery") and 151 today for 2 consultations, culture & skin scrape, 3 injections (whenever they happened *shrugs*), sedation and today's medicines! I think I'll start carol-singing early to pay for it!! :eek:

:D

Aww bless her Val, I don't know how your being so patient lol

Its good that they have ruled out some things and I really hope they get back to you with the answer quickly for Myshka's and your sake lol I hope the steriods and anti-biotics help with myshka's scratching and eases it all.

lol Carol singing sounds like a plan though you would defo have to start now... I think I should join you with the vets bills i've just spent out on lol

I hope you find out soon! :D husky hugs from Tala and I xx