Walking oscar off lead.

Jamie_426

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it will be safer for him and us :) that all i care about tbh.

yeah i no :) but what happens if he slips his collar or u open ur door n he runs or summin a reliable recall is a good thing even if u plan 2 keep him on his lead i dropped blazes lead once (his normal not the 50ft 1) n he shot off if he hadnt ov stopped at a bush 2 sniff he wudnt ov come bk :confused: scariest moment ov my life apart frm when the handle 2 his old lead snapped that sh*t me up good and proper so i wud still train a recall for peice ov mind incase he does slip his collar/harness or escape or summin :)

if by saying enclosed you mean six foot fences and gated access all the way round fantastic carry on!!!! And tell us all where it is so we can go too!!! Otherwise I'd still say its a no no!

hey Lust i have a great secure field where my two get off lead lots, don't i sarah your boys loved it and the cricket lol

Well done for listening to the great advice. I didn't, and we were lucky and got away with it after my two ran off, about a mile up a beach, across a golf course, a busy road and through 2 gardens! Never, ever again.

Oscars only a baby isn't he, be careful that you don't over exercise him, while he's still a puppy he should only be getting 5 minutes for every month that he's been alive. So if he's 4 months old, thats only 20 minutes a day. If you over exercise, they can have all sorts of joint problems when they're older.

i have only read the initial post in this thread.

But, dont get upset at that lady for looking at you like that. She is probably making assumptions based on bad experiences.

I myself start to get nervous whenever I see ANY dog off leash ANYWHERE but a dog park.

She has no way of knowing what type of owner you are or what temperment dog you have. So she was probably looking at you with the "evil eye" because she's had off leash dogs come after her or her own dogs.

Its happened to me many times and it seems that 85% of dog owners have unbalanced, hyperactive, unsocialized dogs.

So i have to assume the worst when i see an off leash dog and avoid them at all costs.

Its just nice to see everyone else's dogs on leashes so i dont have to worry.

This is just so you can see things from another point of view.

I don't own a husky yet (that's why I'm joining the forums really, to get more information and advice on certain points) but as a previous dog owner I can say that lady may have looked at you that way purely because it is dangerous to have a dog off a lead in a public park. Not just because huskies have a tendancy to run but I'm talking about any breed of dog - what happens if Oscar runs up to try and play with another dog who is on a lead because he doesn't "play" with dogs? When you have a mauled puppy on your hands all the regret in the world won't replace him, nor will it stop that other dog being put under scrutiny and maybe even have to be put down.

Leads aren't there just for the restraint of YOUR dog, they are there to protect everyone in the public area.

Obviously with huskies, as everyone has pointed out already, there is the added necessity due to their nature of running free so you need to be doubly careful and respectful not only of your dog but of the other dog owners out there too.

you can put oscar on an extenderble lead so he still has some freedom to play but he still has the security of not being able to go off on is own were he may get hurt or worse i was speakinmg to a lady the other day while out with ice and she was asking about the breed as she wants one and one of the things i told her was do not let them off the lead for there own safty and the dogs take the avice and keep oscar on a lead please

how old is oscar? walking in an enclosed area maybe should have been mentioned at the start?

just wait until the prey drive kicks in. you asked for advice, and we are giving it, there are always exceptions to a rule, but AS A BREED, huskys are at best stubborn and at worst a complete nightmare off lead.

i'd suggest that if you think you are fine regardless of what people advise you, then it was a bit of a waste of time asking....

I believe they are much more popular in America but they are starting to spring up in the UK, we have one in St Helens - it's a designated area by the council specifically for letting dogs run off lead in an enclosed area, has doggy bins in, etc. Ours were 3 bowling greens that were not being used but was already fenced off with at least 8 foot railings & locking gate so is ideal for my two. We used to meet 1 other husky in there, but he's moved away, so my 2 run with dobermans, staffies, all sorts!!

yep long leads are the best! Thats what we bought for Dakota, all our neighbors say that he looks like a lil horse running circles around us lol. Once Dakota slipped past me when I opened the door to outside. Talk about SCARY! I chased him 4 houses down and couldn't catch him so i made a loud noise to get his attention and ran the opposite direction from him, then he thought it was a game and chased me. Luckily! that worked and i was able to catch him. I don't know what I would've done if he caught sight of something he wanted out there such as a cat or rabbit. I don't even wanna think about it. So I always say be careful and use a lead because its not worth the risk of losing your best friend.:grinning-smiley-003

oh, didnt realize the UK didnt have dog parks.

I live in San Diego, California and there is one in just about every town in the county.

They are fenced in areas strictly for dogs to run off leash and play. They have water bowls, poo bag dispensers, chairs for the owners to sit in.. And you can just go to watch your dog have a fun time with other dogs.

I dont go to them though because i dont trust my Sibe to not eat a chihuahua sized snack while i'm not looking.