Walking oscar off lead.

Jamie_426

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I firmly believe huskies should be walked on a lead! They have a high prey drive and desire to run....just because he is listening to you at present do expect this to be 100% the case! I would obviously encourage you train for a good recal but this should be done in a secure enclosed environmet! Plenty of husky owners before us have chose to walk off lead and many of them have ended up with dogs killed or seriously injured in RTCs! That 1 in a hundred time he doesnt come back might be the time he finds his way onto a road and in front of a car! No matter how far away from a round you think you may be, a husky can cover many miles at speed! My personal preference is to allow my dogs to run in harness, that way they get the exercise and stay safe!!!! All the breed advice out there says huskies should be walked on a lead and not let off unless in a secure environment..they all say the same and its for one reason and one reason only...to keep the dogs safe!

we call him back to us and he comes, we roll his ball and he bring it back. he answers to his name.

And one day he wont and it will be you on here posting in rainbows bridge.

Husky's should never ever be let off the lead but no matter how many times I say it there will always be someone that lets them off and then regrets it

added 2 rep lucy im the same i run with blaze (not on a rig or scooter just ma two feet ' i think im mad' lol) n when i take him feild (and yes uve heard me say this 100 times) i use a 50ft lead so he gets the freedom he needs and i get the peice ov mind knowing that i still have my dog

People that let their huskies off lead are very few and far between and for a very good reason.

Huskies don't have good recall at all :( They have a high prey drive and whilst for a year maybe they will come back but one day something will catch their eye and they're gone, either never to be seen again or squished :(

I love seeing my boys run off lead in a secured area but even though their recall is great, i'd never trust them off lead in an open area, I did this once in an open field and lost them for about half an hour - i was in bits never ever again, that was the longest half hour of my life and i'm forever grateful that they eventually came back.

Did you research the breed before you got Oscar? If you did, you must have come across a lot of great articles stating they are not good off lead?

Sibes - and i've seen this with Kimba now, are great at coming back until they hit their "teenage" years then whoosh it's literally like having a teenager lol don't listen to a word you tell them - kimba is going through a stubborn stage - his recall was second to none in the house but lately it's like yeah whatever i'm not listening lol

ah see u didnt say u were in an enclosed area i still think u shud train a recall tho like lucy and dunc have said he will listen now but 1 day he might/probs wont

saz i no the feeling blaze is goin thru that stage 2 AND he has a very HIGH prey drive im surprised i havent broke any bones when he sees a cat or a squirell lol

looking at some of the comments i can understand why oscar shouldnt be off lead near roads or anything that can harm him or he can run away , the best idea for us is to buy him a long lead.

best bet hun, a lot safer for him and a hell of a lot less heart ache for you

He will still get the exercise don't worry :)

Added to rep

Definately Jamie the best thing you can do :D Training a recall is still very important for the accidental let go of a lead or escape from the house..........however this should be done in an area that is enclosed by a 6 ft fence!!!!!!!!!!! Well done to you for listening so quickly...this is an arguement that can go on forever with some people who dont realise the reasoning behind the lead only situation!!!!

something else worth mentioning for anyopne else considering off lead walking, insurance will not cover any accident or illness that occurs as a result of walking a dog off lead! Therefore if the worst does happen and they are hit by a car, insurance will not help you out with any vets fees or liabilty issues!