Miniature Siberian Husky?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just anyone looking to buy these in uk be very wary I am a member of a different forum and I saw/heard a lot of scams re this breed. One guy in London advertises these and complete scam artist.

oh yea that reminds me.. another forum has a discussion about "mini huskies" as well and I've read enough scary stories about scam artists :S be very wary people!

i would be suspicious like others. It's one thing for a sibe to just randomly be born small, but to set out with the general purpose of breeding "mini" sibes i just find that risky. i would be concerned about health problems? not trying to be rude, i just don't see the point in buying a little husky. i bought my husky because he will be BIG and beautiful.

This is the breed standard which has max and min standards; Height--Dogs, 21 to 23½ inches at the withers. Bitches, 20 to 22 inches at the withers. Weight--Dogs, 45 to 60 pounds. Bitches, 35 to 50 pounds. Weight is in proportion to height. The measurements mentioned above represent the extreme height and weight limits with no preference given to either extreme. Any appearance of excessive bone or weight should be penalized. In profile, the length of the body from the point of the shoulder to the rear point of the croup is slightly longer than the height of the body from the ground to the top of the withers. Disqualification--Dogs over 23½ inches and bitches over 22 inches.

I think those you have pictured are adorable, especially the one by the fan, I've heard of them as well as but separate of Klee Klai, but never actually seen them before-so cute! Yes, they are welcome on here, they are Husky's also! As for buying from a Siberian Breeder, I wouldn't worry about that, alot of us rescue or have done so, but a person should also be able to go to a breeder and get a Siberian Husky without those types like in California where they stigmatize you for daring to buy instead of rescuing attributing it as a "monstrous act" and fainting all over the place like the ridiculous people they are. If a person rescues thats great, if they buy from a breeder, great-don't be pressured one way or the other by those PETA types. I certainly hope you haven't had hateful remarks on here, thats un-Husky-like behavior-just not like our Husky Owner members to do so as they have been so nice in my experience. Welcome your Husky friends over here to join in

The premise that smaller is cuter I don't get. Huskies are the most beautiful breed in the world in my opinion and don't need messing with. Why do we have to have a minature or toy version of everything? If there was a drug that could keep your puppy as a puppy for the whole of it's life I swear millions round the world would be using it.

Not I-We love Czar Demon more and more with each passing day!! He was an adorable little Huskling to be sure, but he is also a beautiful and striking teen Husky now and will be a gorgeous and distinguished adult when time comes. They sure don't last as a puppy long, but we wouldn't wish him to stay that way, thats what pictures are for! We look forward to getting old with him :)

Edited by AttilaVikingsDemon

Yes there are plenty scams out there, be very careful. One person breeds huskimos and advertises them as minihuskies. And the point of having a smaller husky differs from person to person. If it were based on looks alone, I prefer the standard Siberian. They are regal, powerful, majestic, and certainly have been my favorite breed for as long as I can remember. But having a dog that is a little smaller, say twenty or thirty lbs smaller, is easier to accept with those who have small children like me or some people just like smaller dogs. I know what people are going to say, if you can't handle a bigger dog then don't get a husky... but there are smaller huskies out there, like my Tessa who isn't as small as a mini but smaller than a standard. I wasn't willing to accept I'd never have a husky again. But I knew I couldn't have a 60lb hyper dog living with my son either. Tessa is sometimes a bit rough with him, and I hate to see what she'd accidentally do if she was bigger. The reasons are different with everyone but I'm sure lots of people would counter every reason there is.

I wouldn't want my dog to stay a puppy either... phew! lol

There is a dq if it's over 22 inches for a female and 23 1/2 for a male. It doesn't have a dq for anything under the specified height. But it should be penalized. I didn't know that. Well technically the woolies aren't supposed to be bred either. What with their long coat the ice and snow would freeze in it. But I love my wooly Tessa girl no matter what. :) Although she's spayed and I wouldn't have bred her even if she hadn't been. (Even if she wasn't a wooly) And also she is 19" at the withers. I just measured. But no matter to me, I never wanted to breed her, just wanted a smallish husky that would be easier to handle than the husky I had so long ago when I was a lot younger. I talked more about him in my very first post here. And she is so much easier to handle even though at times she is spastic, (aren't they all LOL) I can handle her simply because she isn't that big. (You would think she was huge the way she knocks down my 19 month old at times, lol but it would be worse if she was bigger)

All in all, whoever buys for whatever reason, I agree with AVD that all huskies are huskies and I will celebrate them all! :)

these huskies exist naturally, shes just helping bring more small ones into the breed. These are not a separate breed at all and she hasnt messed with the breed at all.

they have been around as long as regular huskies, she has pictures of them from long ago. They simply dont happen alot.

I think you are contradicting yourself sightly here aren't you. You say that the small Huskies have been around for a long time. I'm sure that all sizes of Husky have been born over the years. My girl is 24inches tall and long and leggy - not my ideal Husky size/shape, but she's gorgeous and I love her. I have a friend with a tiny bitch - no idea of height, but smaller than anything I've ever seen at a show.

The point is that these natural occuring varients are just that; random and natural. In nature small dogs don't pair off exclusively to create smaller offspring.

If any breeder purposely sets out to breed smaller versions then they are doing exactly what you say they aren't. They are in your words 'messing with the breed'.

We can all have our own opinions on whether we think it's right, but let's at least be honest about what is happening. :)

"she's just helping bring more small ones into the breed" LOL

If you want to percieve what I said as contradictory, go ahead. But to me, it's not. I am not lying, I AM being honest. If you wish me to clarify, then I will. They already existed naturally. As in, no one helped them to exist BEFORE. Nobody "messed with the breed" to create them. They simply existed but not often. So, now she is helping bring more into the breed. Does that clear it up for you because if not, there's nothing else I can say. If youre against it, you'll be against it no matter what. Thats just the way people are. But don't make me out to sound like I am lying when in fact, it is only your perception of what I said that made me sound like I was being dishonest. Cause I wasn't. Go ahead and laugh, it only makes you look bad, this is supposed to be a forum where people don't get all crabby and nitpick at what others post. and that, I can LOL about.

I think you are contradicting yourself sightly here aren't you. You say that the small Huskies have been around for a long time. I'm sure that all sizes of Husky have been born over the years. My girl is 24inches tall and long and leggy - not my ideal Husky size/shape, but she's gorgeous and I love her. I have a friend with a tiny bitch - no idea of height, but smaller than anything I've ever seen at a show.

The point is that these natural occuring varients are just that; random and natural. In nature small dogs don't pair off exclusively to create smaller offspring.

If any breeder purposely sets out to breed smaller versions then they are doing exactly what you say they aren't. They are in your words 'messing with the breed'.

We can all have our own opinions on whether we think it's right, but let's at least be honest about what is happening. :)

"she's just helping bring more small ones into the breed" LOL

If you want to percieve what I said as contradictory, go ahead. But to me, it's not. I am not lying, I AM being honest. If you wish me to clarify, then I will. They already existed naturally. As in, no one helped them to exist BEFORE. Nobody "messed with the breed" to create them. They simply existed but not often. So, now she is helping bring more into the breed. Does that clear it up for you because if not, there's nothing else I can say. If youre against it, you'll be against it no matter what. Thats just the way people are. But don't make me out to sound like I am lying when in fact, it is only your perception of what I said that made me sound like I was being dishonest. Cause I wasn't. Go ahead and laugh, it only makes you look bad, this is supposed to be a forum where people don't get all crabby and nitpick at what others post. and that, I can LOL about.

Woah. Easy Tiger! :eek:

Apologies if you got the wrong idea of what I was trying to say. I wasn't saying you were deliberately lying. I just feel as if you are not seeing this for what it is. I am happy to discuss any subject on here and I'm more than happy for someone to change my mind with a well reasoned argument.

I'm not nit picking your post - I'm just highlighting things that you are saying that I disagree with and/or believe are contradictory. Someone else has already pointed out the breed standard which is there to try and ensure Huskies remain true to the original ideal. Obviously there will be natural variance as I said before and I know some breeders breed their own interpretation of the standard.

However, someone deliberately breeding dogs smaller than the breed standard; considerably smaller it seems, is purposely not conforming to the commonly agreed standard for that breed. The fact that they are genetically 100% Husky doesn't matter. A Bonsai tree is genetically the same as the normal full grown tree but you couldn't climb one could you?

It doesn't bother me that you like them, but the Husky has been around for a long time in the size and shape that it is and breeding considerably smaller versions is definitely altering them - how can it not be?

I don't understand why someone feels that Huskies need 'help' to increase the number of small dogs.

This quote from one of your posts again suggests that the breeder is trying to create something that isn't already naturally occuring - 'she has told people the size is not guaranteed because they are still a work in progress'

If you want to see how people messing with breeds can ruin a dog just look at the Bulldog

http://www.messybeast.com/history/bulldogs.htm

This is why I feel so passionate about protecting the Husky.

Edited by Lightsiber
spelling

:( I think it's horrible someone would purposely breed for a trait like this. It's not part of the standard and thus they are not breeding to actually better the breed but to make yet another designer style dog that is actually pure bred but with a serious breed standard flaw. I understand why they would be a good idea in theory but I personally I think breeding for a size is just plain wrong. That is one tiny aspect of what you need to look at when your breeding and if that is the main focus then I fear for our beloved breed :( Kiana is the perfect size right in between the min and max standard and she barely comes up to my knees and I'm 5'4" or so. It really makes me even sadder knowing these are pure bred :(

Without wanting to sound rude; I believe that the creation of "toy" dogs and miniature versions are wrong and not as nature intended, I know dogs have been developed from wolves and developed into many different breeds, but an article & documentary I watched showed that toy dogs and dogs that have been bred to have a certain look that people think is acceptable & desirable has caused many health problems! An example being the Charles King Spaniel which in many cases have brains larger than their skull, all because certain people bred them to have a certain sized head. I think many people look past the health & welfare of the dog when trying to further manipulate the dog breed.

No way was I meaning to sound rude, just stating an opinion :)

Ok Lightsiber, you are right, and I did get a little hot headed there. Has me a little embarrassed lol. I do apologize. Maybe Im just so used to defending the breeder bc shes my online friend, I dont really look into why I need to defend her in the first place. Reading your reply to my rant, I put all biased opinions aside and what you said made sense. She is messing with the Siberian breed. I kinda feel depressed about this. I love the little huskies including the AKK.

Everyone else who replied, sorry you had to see my defensive side. I still love minis and AKK, but I do see your point a little more clearly now. :)

• 11 years later...

Hey everyone!

Just wanted to drop in and say I got a mini husky and it's been a blast! It was a complete chance as I was looking for a Siberian Husky and then stumbled This little guy is full of energy and sass. Loves to play, but training is quite the ride – stubborn but smart.

He's super with my family and somehow always knows when we need extra play and laughs. Anyone else here with a mini husky recently? Would love to hear your stories or tips!

Cheers!
Holden

Edited by robke
Link removed see rules for explanation