How old for harness?

How old should a dog be before you use a harness for walking? I was just wondering because they grow so fast and I know I'd have to end up buying a bigger one when he's fully grown and stuck with a harness that's too small. Would it be okay to use the collar for now and switch to a harness when he gets older?

Speaking of growing when do huskies stop? 1 year?

with puppies, putting them in harnesses will get them used to it, but they do grow, so you would need to change it.

huskies on average grow for 18 months, some can take longer some can take less.

i prefer a harness, because a dog pulling on a collar sounds horrible

we put Myshka in a harness at about 8 months, she was grown up size-wise to buy a harness that would fit her into adulthood. Up to then, we had a collar as she didn't pull much & we could let her off lead & recall her (before she realised she could run off & ignore us!)

I posted a site up for Harness for pups have a look-

http://www.siberian-husky-dog-breed-info.com/padded-handmade-leather-siberian-husky-harness-for-puppies-h2

http://www.siberian-husky-dog-breed-store.com/

I found the harness to be better when walking Grey rather then a collar cause it gives me alot more support cause he can pull a little. If you was to start off with a harness at an early age it would get your pup use to wearing one and having one put on also if Harness is a little big at first it can be made smaller and most sites you order form will give you tips on how to measure your sibe for the perfect comfy fit.

Hope Iv helped :D

My girls got hanesses straight away! If you like the ezy dog ones u could get away with getting a medium harness...they go really small and it will last for a while whilst grownig! U may or maynot need to get a larger one....either large or x large but i still have one girl in a med, the other 2 wear large!

I don't like using harnesses for walks because I find it gives my dogs more strength and comfort to pull. You won't have a problem walking your pup on a good collar if you teach it how to walk on a loose leash and that pulling is not an effective way for him to get where he wants to go.

Any dog can be taught not to pull - Micha was a habitual puller until he was about four years old, when I was taught him to teach him not to pull. It was actually pretty easy and now he doesn't pull at all when we are out on walks.

Having said that there is nothing wrong with using a harness if you want to, I just prefer not to use them for walks. Siberians tend not to finish growing until they are around 18 months of age, and it's really important if you use a harness that you make sure it fits your dog properly.

But like I said, they definitely aren't necessary just because your pup is a husky - you can use a collar as long as you want to.

Good advice everyone! I'll consider all your suggestions. I think I might want to keep him on a collar for now since he's doing okay on it. Soon he'll outgrow his puppy collar (only a little more to let out!) and I'll possibly consider a harness after that. It just seems to look more comfortable for the dog to walk in also. Plus it'll get him used to having something on his back because we eventually want to get him a doggy backpack for walking in the parks:cool:

I have seen a collar/harness mix type thing. It's a collar and you attach the parts that go under their legs to the collar. Anyone use anything like this? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+4+12052&pcatid=12052

Good advice everyone! I'll consider all your suggestions. I think I might want to keep him on a collar for now since he's doing okay on it. Soon he'll outgrow his puppy collar (only a little more to let out!) and I'll possibly consider a harness after that. It just seems to look more comfortable for the dog to walk in also. Plus it'll get him used to having something on his back because we eventually want to get him a doggy backpack for walking in the parks:cool:

I have seen a collar/harness mix type thing. It's a collar and you attach the parts that go under their legs to the collar. Anyone use anything like this? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+4+12052&pcatid=12052

You'd be far better off teaching her to walk on a loose leash (be that on a harness or collar) than relying on tools like that. If you do the ground work now you won't need them.

Don't forget if you are going to look at getting a doggy backpack, then you will need him to be able to walk on a collar - he can't wear a backpack and a harness at the same time.

We got Kremlin a harness at about 6 months, mostly because he had already grown a little and if we got him an adjustable harness, we wouldn't have to get him a new one when he got bigger. And I don't really know why, but in the harness he did pull a lot less than with his collar, besides he wouldn't any longer choke. But it didn't solve his pulling problem completely, so we are working on this too at obedience.