So long ago...but still feels like yesterday..x

My best friend, and first dog was a standard poodle, named Monty.

I was 7 when we got him, and he helped me through a lot of difficult time. We had an understanding I have yet to find with anyone/anything else.

For a couple of weeks I had been begging my mum for a dog, it got so bad that I was actually acting like a dog. Luckily for me my mum wanted a daughter not a human dog, so she caved J

I wasn’t the best owner in my younger years, but the older I got the better I got, and he never judged me on it. He never did anything wrong, was extremely intelligent, calm when he needed to be and playful all the time. When I was ill or upset I would go down stairs and lie with him or let him come up stairs and sleep on my bed.

Monty had a good run; he was PTS at the age of 13.

He became ill in the summer of 2008, and after some research on the web (stupid me) I decided it wasn’t just him getting old, he needed the vets.

He had recently been slowing down on his walks, and had a runny nose which sometimes consisted of blood, the vets said it was a cold even though I believed it wasn’t, and insisted he had an xray. They told me to try some tablets first and then take it from there. A couple of weeks later, no change, and they finally agreed to xray him.

Later that day Monty’s xrays confirmed what I had suspected back at the end of August. CANCER…he had a tumour, inoperable, in his nostril/brain. They asked if they should wake him so we could have him home for a couple more days to say bye.

At the time I couldn’t believe what they were asking, why would I want to bring him home when he is in pain and generally not happy. I told them to put him to sleep.

On the 8th October 2008 I took my best friends pain away. I hoped he forgive me for not standing my ground with the vets and prolonging his pain.

I have never felt so much love for anyone or anything; it hurts just as much today as it did on the day I let him go.

What I learnt from him is that they will love you regardless, they have big hearts, and are a lot more intelligent then we give them credit. They don’t care about what you have done, what you look like, where you come from…nothing….they just love you regardless.

I am sorry it took me so long to realise you was in pain, and so long to take that pain away. But I know you forgive me…because that was what you were like.

Always in my heart…never forgotten x

:grouphug:

It is never an easy decision :( When the bond is as strong as yours, I am sure you felt your heart break, but you did what was right for him, and you must take comfort from that.

I truly believe we will meet up with our beloved pets again one day, I have to believe that.

My best friend, and first dog was a standard poodle, named Monty.

I was 7 when we got him, and he helped me through a lot of difficult time. We had an understanding I have yet to find with anyone/anything else.

For a couple of weeks I had been begging my mum for a dog, it got so bad that I was actually acting like a dog. Luckily for me my mum wanted a daughter not a human dog, so she caved J

I wasn’t the best owner in my younger years, but the older I got the better I got, and he never judged me on it. He never did anything wrong, was extremely intelligent, calm when he needed to be and playful all the time. When I was ill or upset I would go down stairs and lie with him or let him come up stairs and sleep on my bed.

Monty had a good run; he was PTS at the age of 13.

He became ill in the summer of 2008, and after some research on the web (stupid me) I decided it wasn’t just him getting old, he needed the vets.

He had recently been slowing down on his walks, and had a runny nose which sometimes consisted of blood, the vets said it was a cold even though I believed it wasn’t, and insisted he had an xray. They told me to try some tablets first and then take it from there. A couple of weeks later, no change, and they finally agreed to xray him.

Later that day Monty’s xrays confirmed what I had suspected back at the end of August. CANCER…he had a tumour, inoperable, in his nostril/brain. They asked if they should wake him so we could have him home for a couple more days to say bye.

At the time I couldn’t believe what they were asking, why would I want to bring him home when he is in pain and generally not happy. I told them to put him to sleep.

On the 8th October 2008 I took my best friends pain away. I hoped he forgive me for not standing my ground with the vets and prolonging his pain.

I have never felt so much love for anyone or anything; it hurts just as much today as it did on the day I let him go.

What I learnt from him is that they will love you regardless, they have big hearts, and are a lot more intelligent then we give them credit. They don’t care about what you have done, what you look like, where you come from…nothing….they just love you regardless.

I am sorry it took me so long to realise you was in pain, and so long to take that pain away. But I know you forgive me…because that was what you were like.

Always in my heart…never forgotten x

big :grouphug:because we all understand :(

We love them so much and the flip side is we miss them so much when they aren't here anymore.

You did good for Monty, you were strong for him and thats all you could do.

I believe my beloved Akuma is lying by my Mum's feet in the garden whilst she's reading her book.

If anyone had told me i'd miss him so much i wouldn't have believed them but i'll see him again one day :)

We love them so much and the flip side is we miss them so much when they aren't here anymore.

You did good for Monty, you were strong for him and thats all you could do.

I believe my beloved Akuma is lying by my Mum's feet in the garden whilst she's reading her book.

If anyone had told me i'd miss him so much i wouldn't have believed them but i'll see him again one day :)

My nan passed away the same year in May, so i kinda feel that he is looking after her. x

Big hugs! I do believe that even though they take a huge chunk of our hearts with them, they leave an even larger piece of their hearts with us... If it's any consolation, given the location of the tumor, by the time you saw blood from the nose, it was probably already too late, sadly. You gave him a life that I have no doubt that he loved, and that's all any dog ever asks of their human(s)...