ADVICE/OPINION needed ASAP

I am dog sitting for a fried- we always watch their Jack russell. Well this time she had some bumps on her muzzle and in her ears before she came to our house. Her owners took her to the vet and she gave them some clovomax and some "neosporin-like" ear gel... Obviously this isnt working because 3 days later- its like this. The Vet doesnt know what it is, she thought it was bacterial- I thought it was some kind of allergic reaction... Chloe is itching and crying and now its in her lips too- she cant eat her kibble, so I am making her boiled rice and chicken. Please- has anyone delt with this before- her ears are horrible but her muzzle is the worst.

BTW- I have an ECollar on her- and have for two days so she cant itch or lick, AND I WOULD take her to the vet right now but Vets are CLOSED on Sundays in Spain. -_-

post-10968-0-96648000-1382796222_thumb.j

post-6873-13586019476879_thumb.jpg

post-6873-13586019477414_thumb.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My advice right off the bat would be to take the e-collar off, poor dog doesn't need to be shocked for trying to scratch at this. It does look like an allergic reaction to me too, I would be taking her straight to the vets when they open tomorrow. For now all you can try to do it sooth the itching - do you have any gentle creams such as savlon? Or anythign safe for babies? Try to keep it moisturised in any way you can, that will make it itch a lot less and will provide some relief. Something like After-Sun might be an option too as that's designed to rehydrate, though I'm not sure how suitable that is for dogs. That's great you're making her some boiled rice and chicken, that's very hypoallergenic too so if she'd having a reaction to food that would help too. To stop her scratching at it so much is there any way you could get her to wear some socks or something? She'd only be able to rub then. Good luck with her, let us know how she gets on!

Well the ecollar is because she litterally TORE her wounds open and they are free bleeding. I first tried the socks but she tears them off. I tried hydrocortisone for the itch- but now that they are open I cant use it because it can make it worse. I have tried spritzing with hydrogenperoxide... We dont have anything else and CONVENIANTLY... Every store is closed on Sundays in Spain as well. This place sucks...

Do you have any baking soda? If so, make a paste and apply to the affected areas. It will help draw out any nasties and aid in drying the affected area.

Sent from my HTC Desire using forumrunner.

My advice right off the bat would be to take the e-collar off, poor dog doesn't need to be shocked for trying to scratch at this. It does look like an allergic reaction to me too, I would be taking her straight to the vets when they open tomorrow. For now all you can try to do it sooth the itching - do you have any gentle creams such as savlon? Or anythign safe for babies? Try to keep it moisturised in any way you can, that will make it itch a lot less and will provide some relief. Something like After-Sun might be an option too as that's designed to rehydrate, though I'm not sure how suitable that is for dogs. That's great you're making her some boiled rice and chicken, that's very hypoallergenic too so if she'd having a reaction to food that would help too. To stop her scratching at it so much is there any way you could get her to wear some socks or something? She'd only be able to rub then. Good luck with her, let us know how she gets on!

An E-collar isn't a collar that shocks, it stands for an Elizabeth collar and prevents the dog from being able to scratch the affected area.

I have called every number available. Im seriously so irritated right now! I been calling for over 2 hours- just to find out one number is wrong, the other is disconnected- and the other 3 are no answers. >:( I hate this! The fact that the dog isnt MINE freaks me out even more so! I dont want anything bad to happen while her mom and dad are in the states... I have been updating them on this ofcourse... but the fact that I cant do anything right now- ::breathe.... breathe::

Oddly enough my mum's dog came up with wierd lumps about a week ago, the vet thought it was a reaction to something so she was given an antihistamine & a round of anti biotics to help keep any infections at bay. Do you know if your friends dog has been running through farm land? The chemicals some farmers use on their crops can cause a similar reaction.

I hope the vet can help you xx

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/discoid-lupus/page1.aspx

Not to upset you or make things worse, iv just found this article on line, Does this seem like what the dog has?

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=107109

The 2nd link is a think a dog with lupus? May help? Fingers crossed xx

She has the reaction in her ears too. Everything I have looked up and contacted said allergies. Looks like we have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to get her to the vet -_-

She seems to be a little more relaxed now- just after my last post her mouth was litterally dripping blood and she was shaking. I been trying to stay calm but damn... I was told not to do anything till we see the vet- just incase she has any adverse reactions to whatever I do [understood] But Seriously- this has been such a stressful day! I also have been talking to my friend down the street by phone- because late last night I had to run to her house because her yorkie was vommiting repeatedly, foaming thick saliva and bubbles, and his tongue was deep purple. I checked his vitals, His pupils were dialated as much as they could be with no response to light, his heart rate was really low, he was lethargic, stiff acting and cool to the touch... He wouldnt eat even people food. But ofcourse there is no ER vet- nor was any vet open. I had her get a bottle ofwater and we just kept using a straw to get fluids in him. As of today- he is still really sick- but alive. She is still doing the straw thing... his vommitting has slowed. I had her give him some pedialyte, for electrolytes and such. She cant take him in till tomorrow either. Im thinking he either was fed something toxic [if your local neighbor doesnt like you here- chances are they will poison your pets] or he ate a plant or something toxic. I didnt see any sweeling anywhere so I dont believe it was a bite. Im hoping he makes it through another night... Ughhhhhh.....

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/discoid-lupus/page1.aspx

Not to upset you or make things worse, iv just found this article on line, Does this seem like what the dog has?

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=107109

The 2nd link is a think a dog with lupus? May help? Fingers crossed xx

I found that same site too - GREAT slideshow- but nothing in there resembles what Im seeing on her. Thank you for looking!

This is so frusterating.

I dont think its discoid lupus it looks too bumpy and lupus is more flat and odd colored. Could actually be parasite related the vet will take a skin scraping the next time you go in and maybe a blood test. I can think of allergies like everyones said, canine acne, flea allergy dermatitis, contact dermatitis, pelodera (from hay if its been near hay). If it got worse after the dog was getting Clavamox he could be allergic to it which woud be causing it to get worse. You should be able to use an antihistamine along side with it because its an antibiotic